Weird flavor of bronze

Discussion in 'Castings, finishing/ repair/ and patina's' started by Jason, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

SO I did the unthinkable and bought some *cough *cough bronze rod on fleabay. Now there are about 100 different flavors of bronze, but I thought lets try it. Cheap enough right? But first I had to learn not to try to weld the bronze bushings and other assorted crap from Ace hardware. That stuff is loaded with zinc and goos the welding table with some yellow nastiness.

Here is the rod I got from fleabay. I would bet my left nut this stuff was copper, but the seller talked to me (nice guy) and I think he might be right. (the possibility of a copper rod vs bronze rod mixup still exists) He called this stuff C544 Phosphor bronze 80-85% copper. The silicon bronze I'm running is 95% copper. Funny how his stuff looks and welds more like copper. Guess I should have stayed awake in chemistry class.

Lesson learned.... McMaster Carr, Never a question what shows up on your doorstep.

20170926_202408.jpg
    20170926_214704.jpg
    20170926_214721.jpg

20170926_214926.jpg

2. OCD

OCD Silver

I hope he refunded your money back.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Nahh... This is the 2nd time in a week I've fallen for sellers BS. I bought a couple of stupid looking retro edison bulbs the wife wanted. Little did I see on the page they were 220vt. Now, WHO THE F sells lightbulbs to consumers from INSIDE the US in 220vt? Left that sob neutral feedback for being a deceptive scumbag! Look at this page. I didn't see it. Now he has it highlighted in yellow. They work, but only 1/2 as bright. Or is that a quarter.. I can never remember.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-SELL-Vintage-Retro-Filament-Antique-Industrial-Style-Lamp-Light-Bulb-40W-E27/263121745869?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=562120145053&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

4. OCD

OCD Silver

EVERY time I have ever purchased bulbs on line over half of them are broken when they arrive.

2 things you should never order on line,
    Light bulbs
    and
    Brides.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Me love you long time GI.

6. OCD

OCD Silver

7. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Need money for motorbike / new buffalo / insert random reason here.

I've spent too much time in Vietnam in the last 20 years :)

8. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

1000bulbs.com never lets me down.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

I got an assignment back in 03 to yakota Japan. I told my wife to pack the stuff, she said if you go to Japan, you're going alone. I said if I go to Japan, I won't need you! I choose door number 3, I bailed out of the Air Force and went back to school. It was the right decision. I was tired of getting shot at. The C-130 moves kinda slow and she's a big target!

10. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

11. Jason

Jason Gold

What I did get to stick welded horrible. Mcmastercarr to the rescue.

12. dennis

dennis Silver

That "phosphor bronze" sounds like what's used in HVAC - for copper tubing "soldering."

It can also be used for treating copper-based alloys for casting, if phosphor-copper shot is not to be had.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Nah.. We use sil-fos 15 for HVAC brazing. I love the stuff. I don't clean any copper pipe with that stuff. And NO FLUX TOO! I'm talking, wipe the dirt off, heat the joint and stab it with the silver. DONE. I'm an HVAC copper connecting MACHINE! Now if only I could buy a decent bender that's worth a damn. They all suck at bending the big stuff. (7/8" is big in my world)
    This is why I own that turbo torch. Nice flame for brazing pipe.

14. metallab

metallab Silver

Light bulbs ? Never had problems, ebay or Aliexpress, but I'm talking about LED bulbs.

Brides ? I got my girlfriend on line (dating site which is just an 'online women shop') and now I am over twelve years with her. No problems either.

And even 220V should be no problem in the US as most homes have, beside normal 120V, 240V phase to phase for high power appliances ....
    You work in the aircon (HVAC) business ?

15. Jason

Jason Gold

OCD has been gone for years.