High pressure propane regulator

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

So the "high pressure" regulator I got from ebay arrived a few months back and was not as featured. I eventually tested it out a few days ago and it isn't putting out enough gas to get up to melting temps. Which regulator do you think is better? Or do you have a better suggestion that doesn't cost hundreds of bucks (lets be realistic here!).

I'm looking for another regulator. I found this one
    [​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Veriflo-11...h=item1c89c60276:g:3ZwAAOSwbtVZVD8-:rk:2:pf:0

And this one:

I think this one has coarse adjustment, so a needle valve would need to be purchased for 9 bucks to make it work.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable...h=item3af2d256ab:g:LHAAAOSwhTVZzp8A:rk:2:pf:0

2. joe yard

joe yard Silver

I might be able to help. I sent a PM

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I use an acetylene regulator, and they are also rated for use with propane and can produce a lot of pressure.
    An acetylene regulator will screw right onto a 20 lb propane bottle.

In the top photo, there should not be any pipe sealant on the threads that screw into the tank.
    The seal is made on the tapered end of the pipe, not on the threads.

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Any of these regulators have a maximum flow rate listed on them??

5. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Do you have a reference that says that? I have used them, but always get told it will reduce their life and Radnor has Specific Propane Regulators http://www.airgas.com/category/Gas-...ies-Industrial-Gas-Regulators/_/N-1z13o1oZ81n

But Honestly I have killed 4 or 5 marshall excelsior propane regulators, and I'm kind of over it

V/r HT1

6. Rasper

Rasper Silver

7. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Nope, I only have a hazy recollection from when I bought it about 4 years ago that it would work for either propane or acetylene, via the sales guy in the gas store.

I have used it probably 15 times with propane, and no problems so far, but you bring up a a good point that they may not actually be universal propane/acetylene, so check it out if you buy that type.

8. joe yard

joe yard Silver

I have known my share of junk yard workers and owners over the years. Many have used acetylene regulators for years with no problems. The yard owned by the local scraper. A person who you could only describe as a “Good old boy”. Translation, a person who when you met him you had to wonder is this guy on the same planet but had an IQ that was very high and a masters in agriculture. Just a great guy you had to like. Used victor oxygen regulators exclusively. He said there was no difference rubber in the diaphram and o rings in the single stage oxygen regulators from flammable and non flammable gas. The guages would be changed for use with acetylene. Somehow this never bothered me but I don’t think I would have used an acetylene regulator on oxygen nor did he never suggest it. We all said old Roland was charmed in that some of the things he did was going to kill him but they all seamed to work. He worked up until the last year of his life. Luck caught up and finally killed him, cancer The old boy passed away a couple of years ago at over 90 after being in the business since his early 20s. The yard was shut down, the torches and bottles were sold.
    He would stop by once a week or so and pick up the shop scrap often stopping to talk of life. I truly miss him.
    I have tried propane with the acetylene regulator and a propane tip that can be bought at any gas supplier but don’t like the cut. He did say that years back the rubber lines would decompose after several months of use and should not be used for propane but anything he had used after the mid 90s was no longer a problem.
    Joe

9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

As I recall, the oxygen regulator has a right hand thread, and the acetylene regulator has a left hand thread, so there is no way to mix up those two.

10. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Yes you are correct on the fitting. All flammable gas regulators at least in the U.S. are left hand and all inert gas are right. That is just the flange. The flange that thread into the regulator are interchangeable. The threading into the regulator appear to be N.P.T. although I would not think this is the case. Sealant is used. I do not know what thread is used.
    Joe