How to remove polishing compound grease without sanding or blasting?

Discussion in 'Castings, finishing/ repair/ and patina's' started by Zapins, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I would like to polish my eagle's feather tips to a mirror finish but leave the areas between feathers rough. How do I remove the grease from the sculpture without ruining the high gloss areas? Some sort of chemical?

2. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I've used alcohol and Acetone. Neither dissolves it but Acetone does a little better job of cutting it loose. I use a shop rag dipped in it and a fingernail to wipe it away.

3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

well DUH! prepsol wax and grease remover of course...;) LOL :D Its used by body shops to wipe down the cars before painting to make sure there is no grease or oil on them... Works great..

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Haha ok I'm try prepsol. That polishing compound gets thick in crevices. After the funk is removed I'll patina the low areas with liver of sulfur.

5. DavidF

LOL youll need a tooth brush also to get it scrubbed out of those tight areas.. Mineral spirits might work as well or bug and tar remover. I use the prep-sol because I can clear coat over it without worries.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I use Laquer thinner , let the entire piece soak if you can, then give it just a touch of love with neverdull

V/r HT1

P.S. I will try the Prepsol

7. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

OK being Curious I did some Research on Prepsol and found it was over 50% Naphtha , most of the rest being Non Regulated it's probably Water
    https://www.strobelssupply.com/media/catalog/product/3/9/3919s-sds-en_2.pdf

I found these Naphtha products: at about 1/10 the price

https://www.skygeek.com/naphtha-typ...MI0Me6saaR4AIVXEwNCh3UoQNfEAkYCCABEgIQr_D_BwE

https://pilotshq.com/mili-std-type-...MI0Me6saaR4AIVXEwNCh3UoQNfEAkYBiABEgKV4PD_BwE

I reviewed the MSDS of
    Military Specification TT-N-95
    and it seems this s a More potent version of Prepsol, and much cheaper???

V/r HT1

P.S Sorry I cut and pasted and got supersized text

8. DavidF

I've used lacquer thinner as well, it does not penetrate as well and evaporates too fast. But is good for a secondary wipe down.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Acetone.. Nothing water based or she'll turn green.

10. DavidF

After how long exactly???

11. Jason

Jason Gold

In Florida, I can bead blast bronze and watch it turn green inside of an hr. Humidity is murder on clean bronze.

12. DavidF

Wish I could get mine to turn green that fast.
    I've had a piece sitting outside for 3 years now and it still has not...

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Something is wrong with your bronze. Is it some home made brew or actual everdur? The best way I end up with green is sweat on it. I'm going to bottle some stink juice and call it insta-green.

14. DavidF

Yep actual everdur, sure your not pouring everdull or something? Or maybe your pours are mostly dross and slag? (good reason to cover them with liver of sulfur) :p

Jason likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold