Adventures in casting by Al Puddle

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Al Puddle, Apr 13, 2018.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Sweet Muller, hope it gets fixed and returned quickly...

2. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

The muller is back but I'm unsure whether it's fixed because I haven't used it much. There's still a small puddle of oil. Residual?
    Yesterday I made some pouring cups. They will all work as pouring cups but is the dark one more ideal for inside a mold, all surrounded by molten aluminum and all?
    PouringCupComposit.jpg

3. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

Nice pouring cups, I just use a soup can full of sand and cut a hole in it.

4. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

Today, I used one of the pouring cups to make a six inch diameter disk with a recess of one inch deep x 3-1/4" dia. The sprue was 0.4" dia.
    SixInBottom.jpg
    SixInTop.jpg

The circumference runout is 0.068 and the face runout is 0.040". The baked, molasses core sat around for a half year and was heated to 250F a couple of weeks ago.
    I vented only the core and not the rest of the mold.
    I'm happy this new year.

5. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

With the previous casting, I made the following pattern.
    Drag side...
    IMG_1541.jpg

Cope side.
    IMG_1540.jpg

This resulted in...
    IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    The round stock next to the finished casting was yesterday's casting adventure.

The six inch diameter casting pattern will be used to produce several parts in upcoming projects.

6. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

After tiring myself out from patting myself on the back, I realized the basic problem hadn't been solved.
    I need to be able to chuck these castings in the lathe. My pattern diameter is too small.
    IMG_1550.jpg IMG_1552.jpg
    I also need to get rid of the hub. Looks like more work on the lathe:)

7. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

I did manage to separate the hub from the ring.
    IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    There was a problem with the lathe. It's fixed. A grub/set screw came loose. Pressing on.

8. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

I made a few alterations to my 8 inch square flask.
    I've eliminated those annoying alignment pins that keep dropping into the sand heap.
    I found a way to clamp the cope to the drag preventing cope float.

IMG_1568.JPG IMG_1575.JPG

The new design worked okay.

_Jason likes this.
  9. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

I'm tired of thinking about bifilm theory. Let's see if I can implement some of it. I also want to try out the renovated flask.

The cope and drag match plates.
    IMG_1595.jpg

The pouring area is ready
    IMG_1601.jpg

Hmmm, the pattern is a little too rough.
    IMG_1607.jpg

I added scoth tape to create fillets. That fixed the tear out problem for the most part.
    IMG_1615.jpg

Bottom of pouring basin.
    IMG_1609.jpg

Drag ready to go.
    IMG_1616.jpg

Mold ready for hot metal.
    IMG_1618.jpg

The flask is working out pretty well.

10. That's how my sand always looks...

[​IMG]

Where's the result?

11. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

The results are 1/2 hour in the future.

12. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

The riser was full to the top
    Mar12 001.jpg

Mar12 003.jpg
    Mar12 002.jpg Mar12 006.jpg
    Mar12 005.jpg
    Mar12 004.jpg

joe yard likes this.
  13. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

The foil thermo valve worked well. The pour was steady and it was easy to keep the basin 2/3 full. I just stopped when I saw the vent fill and it filled real fast. The 1/4" sections are flat and the 1" section is very close to it. If I moved the riser to the center there may have been no shrink.
    I see no flaws in the surface finish though it's tough to tell with this rough pattern. Least ways I don't see any flow patterns.

14. Nice! You kept the top of the sprue full? I've pretty much been unable to do that.

From my recent experience, a lot larger riser would have helped, and would have held a lot more overflow.

15. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

I cut off the gate at the part, the bottom of the sprue, and bottom of the riser. I detect no holes. My file kept clogging up when trying to file a clean surface on the gate. This is not good. Would this be an indication of oxides in the mix?
    IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1634.JPG

16. I feel like I can see little dots in the pictures. Did you get it filed or milled smooth?

17. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

I milled the top section where the shrink was to just below the bottom of the pit. Picture shows a climb-cut surface (conventional cut looks the same). Under a loop there are a dozen or two dots per sq.in. homogeneously distributed. It's not shiny like you get with 6061.
    IMG_1635.JPG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  18. PatJ

PatJ Silver

The casting looks good, but how are you going to get those wood screws out of there? :rolleyes: (just kidding, but they did copy rather accurately).

The 356 I have cast tends to gum up the tool bits.
    Heat treating/tempering improves the hardness quite a bit, but there is still some clogging of the tool bits (more than I care for).
    I think some cutting oil helps.

That is one of the reasons I went to gray iron.
    It is not gummy, although it can have chills if not done carefully.

19. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

I'm a novice at maching as well as casting. What I've found so far is to use carbide tips on the lathe and hone them frequently with a diamond honing stone.
    For the mill I use an aggressive looking mill to get near 0.01" then use a nicer looking 4-flute to finish. I put WD-40 only on the tool bit occasionally or after honing. Putting WD-40 on the part seems to keep the tool bit from digging into the aluminium.

20. That looks great!

I use kerosene in a squirt bottle with a small hole drilled in the cap. Adds just enough. I'm sure WD-40 does the same.