Chunk Jewel Lamp

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I kinda doubt HD will have them, but Amazon and eBay do.

https://www.amazon.com/Dewaxed-Supe...ocphy=9033356&hvtargid=pla-588654923180&psc=1

I have used flakes to glue small thin parts to a faceplate for machining. That is common practice among watchmakers too. They are a natural “thermoplastic” soluble in alcohol. Methylated spirits ARE alcohol as distinct from mineral spirits which are a petroleum distillate.

Denis

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm. Ok I had wondered that too. Wasn't sure if they meant the shellac in spray cans at home depot or something else.

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

When I use them for gluing, I place a thin layer of flake on the faceplate and then put the part on top of the flakes. Then use a propane torch to heat the plate enough to melt the flakes and press the part onto the plate. It cools quickly and the part is secure. Remove with gentle torch heating.

Most of the time I just use crazy glue as it’s generally more convenient. A few drops of medium or thick glue and then the part. Use a stick to press down on the part and spritz it with accelerator. Stuck! Remove with heat or acetone.

Denis

4. Jason

Jason Gold

I got some in the mail. Thanks! I'm guessing I'll run steam dewax, then slow heat the mold to dry. Allow slow cool down, shellac, let dry.. load with glass and fire. Somewhere in there, Ill turn around three times, mumble a chant and scratch my ass.:oops: Why do I always pick such tricky stuff to do?:rolleyes:

5. You used to make shellac by melting flakes in alcohol. You can still buy flakes at woodworking supply stores for purists.

Edit: So I posted this not seeing there was another page. Hate it when I do that.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

This glass thing is turning into a 1st class pain in the ass! :( There isn't a swinging fool out there that knows WTF they are doing with this stuff.:rolleyes: All I'm getting is dumb looks. Was in San Diego last weekend and went down to balboa park where all the art weirdos hang out. Same routine. No cast work, wife bought a pair of overpriced blue earings. :oops: I did find one chick that had half a clue and a small piece of good advice. She said if you try to fire polish, bead blast the glass first. (didn't see that one coming) So I hit the blue with a piece of tape across it to see if she was right.

RS20190416_170832.jpg

Yup... She was right. The blasted side glossed over smooth. Sadly, lots of detail gets canned in the process. :-(

20190417_030739.jpg

I might be able to exaggerate the detail in the wax in the future. I think the problem is it has to be preheated just below softening point (530c)
    THEN you have to haul ass as fast as possible to around 700c, catch the gloss and crash the kiln to 482c. My kiln is pretty friggen fast, but I
    think 15mins is too long and that's when slump happens. :mad: Perhaps bringing in a 2nd kiln might help. I could have one already parked
    at 700c while the other ramps slow to 530c. After preheating is done, move it to the 2nd for a real short time to flash the surface. ?????o_Oo_Oo_O
    Then back to the first for annealing.

I am still considering preheating in my kiln, pulling and hitting with the torch.. then jumping back in for annealing at 482C.
    I still cannot for the life of me figure how these guys did this 100years ago! I'm starting to wonder if they were cut like crystal? There is one more
    alternative and this is a NASTY AF method. Acid bath! Hydroflouric & Sulfuric acid was used to gloss glass for many years. I know of one company in the UK
    still doing this and I've heard one guy is left in the states and he only does one batch a year. Must be some pretty horrible stuff.

SO the work continues... I have finally located the correct casting glass from Gaffer, I've got a
    couple of billets in the mail.

Looks like this green doesnt like a 2nd firing.
    15554901608576949879525162074666.jpg

15554901929283261587619615009331.jpg

I'm pretty close.. Looks great with a light behind it and with this shape, I can probably sink it into the bronze.

15554954503128430090288625270363.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  7. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Do you have the mix ratio for that???

8. Jason

Jason Gold

No clue... I actually had a bad dream about that nasty stuff last night. All I remember was it involved a bath tub and a cat. The mind is a very strange thing.

9. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Should I tell about the one that involved a live chicken, weed-wacker, and peach preserves?:eek::rolleyes:;)

10. Jason

Jason Gold

I wrapped my home Air conditioner control wire in my weed eater once. I was not laughing. :oops:

11. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I had a fellow buy some Fluorite from me a few years ago. He wanted to heat it to produce Fluorine gas and make some Hydrofluoric acid. Sounded pretty sketchy to me. Used to be able to get Hydrofluoric acid from a glass supplier for etching glass.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

See Jammer, that's what I thought the stuff was used for... Where does the polishing part come in? Sulfuric?

13. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I don't know, I have etched some glass and tried to melt some. I ended up with a gooey blob that stuck to everything.

14. Hydroflouric acid has a great potential to be hazardous. A little spilled on the skin goes right for the bone and dissolves calcium, quickly. Used in oil refineries there are lots of safety controls in place. I would rather grind asbestos without a respirator than handle hydroflouric acid safely stored.

I think your glass looks great, you just need to modify your expectations.

Instead of a lower temperature kiln, how about a small insulated box. Maybe ceramic fiber. Put the glass in hot and size the box so the glass heats the box and stabilizes at your quench temperature.

Isn't it amazing what old guys figured out. Like how to make multi-ton bronze statues without modern refractories.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah I have no desire to screw with HF acid and I can't find the company here in the states that is said to still do this.. :confused:

The box is an interesting idea. Hell it might even work if I heat the glass close to softening point and blast the surface with the acetylene torch. and toss it back in the kiln...
    Still haven't tried that one yet. Maybe in the next day or two.

It's very amazing what old guys did..... And they think they will fix the Notre dame in 5years... uh yeah, not going to happen.:rolleyes:

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Got stupid last night and bought this. No I'm not gutting it for parts. It's going on the front door step. Made by the Peter Marsh lighting company from the 1950s in Birmingham.
    Don't ask how much, I'll just say it was enough.:oops: The wife convinced me it was a smart investment. :rolleyes:

DSC_0110_master.JPG

DSC_1390_master.JPG

17. You made that lamp?

Nice job!!!:D

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, I'm fast huh?:D A debit card is the most powerful tool I own.

19. My Dad raised every melon we ever ate.

He raised it up and put it in the car after he paid.

Jason likes this.
  20. Jason

Jason Gold

Look at these fat bastards! Chick at gafferglass said it takes a sledge hammer to break them up. This is correct coe96 lead crystal glass for casting. They are still gearing up production so are limited on inventory. Wonder why they moved from Auckland to portland? Fingers crossed, this gets me closer.

20190419_142018.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019