Urethane foam?

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by garyhlucas, Jun 5, 2019.

1. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

Can urethane foam be used instead of polystyrene? I have some 2” thick urethane with aluminum foil that peels off easily and would like to use it up.

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Wouldn't recommend it. The usual motivation is to use the foaming/expanding insulation (it's urethane) as a moldable pattern. But, I never tried to use urethane. A few years ago when I started lost foam casting I searched the subject and the threads & videos I found reported very poor results and very toxic fumes. Apparently the urethane doesn't exhibit the same liquid/gaseous phase decomposition as polystyrene and the decomposition occurs at higher temperature. This was all at similar densities toPS. Higher densities would likely be worse, just like PS.

Best,
    Kelly

3. I use it for pattern making: you can carve/sand shapes to size, then sealing, painting and waxing it before taking a fibreglass female mould off it.

4. Rasper

Rasper Silver

As Mark said, it's wonderful stuff for carving and sanding into the most complex shapes, but you do not want to be melting it or burning it. The fumes will kill you. or cause permanent damage to your internal organs.

Richard

5. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

My daughter worries about everything so when we pour we are both wearing respirators with organic cartridges.

6. It's never wrong to wear a respirator.

7. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Doesn't work well under water ;) :eek: :D

8. A Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus would be considered a supplied air respirator which is used in atmospheres immediately dangerous to life and without sufficient oxygen like high H2S, HF acid vapors, high altitudes, and, ummm under water.:eek::rolleyes:

9. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

I’ve heard pouring hot metal under water is difficult.

10. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

The Steam bubble really make it hard to see what your doing.