Pattern-making video from my sump project.

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by Funkster, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Funkster

Funkster Silver

Chazza and _Jason like this.
  2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Nicely done. Gotta get me one of those 3-d printers ... that looked easy!

Pete

3. Funkster

Funkster Silver

Heh, the magic of editing!

4. Petee716

Seriously, that looked like a lot of work. Great results so far though.

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That is a lot of 3D printing.
    Looks great.

6. Funkster

Funkster Silver

And here's the casting video (didn't seem worth making a new thread in the casting section; mods please advise if you'd prefer that)

Tobho Mott, Melterskelter and _Jason like this.
  7. Petee716

Man, that lifting mechanism (both)....... I have no words.
    Congrats on a successful casting. I admire your perseverance.

Pete

8. Thanks for sharing those videos. The pattern worked well once you got the draw down pat. Then the gating.

Patience and perseverance are the keys to success!

9. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

An amazing accomplishment. Period!

Nicely done! Congratulations.

Denis

10. Funkster

Funkster Silver

Thanks all. I was getting pretty fed up by the end, very glad that #5 came out.

11. How many more do you expect to make?

12. Funkster

Funkster Silver

Hopefully zero!

13. Funkster

Funkster Silver

(Yes, I'm aware that this was a foolish way of making one sump - I could've bought a TIG welder, learned to use it, and fabricated a sump in less time. Such is life.)

14. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Casting can certainly take some perseverance....this I know, and congrats on succeeding.

Long way to go for one part......but the learnings will propel you much farther down the road on you next casting project. Have you machined this one and put it into service. Sometimes a good looking casting isn't always free from porosity that can cause leaks and staining.....hopefully not the case for you. -Nice job.

Best,
    Kelly

15. Funkster

Funkster Silver

It is machined with no horrors found, but not in service yet - I need to make a new oil pick-up first and I've been dilly-dallying on that (and making a new workbench, and going on holiday etc. so I can't really complain).

Wondering whether to have it methacrylated as insurance against porosity, since the way I had to hoy the metal into the mould to make it fill would certainly have entrained some films.

16. You have no interest in selling a few?

17. Funkster

Funkster Silver

As is my general MO, this is a hop-up part for a car that doesn't exist - almost nobody has done this engine swap, and there would be almost no sense at all in starting one now given this is a mid-90s engine that is long obsolete and now hard to get parts for.

And given the price I'd have to sell them for to cover the time that goes into casting and machining one, I can guarantee that nobody who went down this route (given that both car and engine are cheaper options compared to the rest of the sports car world) would want one :eek:)

18. Funkster

Funkster Silver

HOWEVER, the experience gained from this may well come in handy for doing a more commercially-minded, simpler product that someone might actually want one day. At the moment I don't have time to speculatively design parts, but if I ever make something for myself that would be worth selling, I'd definitely consider it.

19. Not sure you're in the right place. Guys here just don't do impractical things.:rolleyes:

OK, I lied. You landed in the right spot. You will fit right in.:D:D

20. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

If you can have it done inexpensively I'd recommend it. It wont be as effective if you try to do so after it seeing hot oil. I'm sure you recall the previous dialogue.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/sump-or-oil-pan-if-you-prefer.393/#post-7572

Very high lot charges made sourcing it out of the question for me. It was expensive even to do myself because I had to buy 5gal of Methacrylate with shipping.

Best,
    Kelly