Pondering correct foundry terminology

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Mark's castings, Oct 3, 2019.

1. So if alloy wheels are made from "Wheelium"...does that mean brake rotors are made from Rotanium?. Enquiring minds want to know.

2. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Brakonium? Rotiron, what about pistonium, beercanium,

Mark's castings likes this.
  3. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

beercanium
    That's Candemonium, Rhymes with pandemonium because that's what you get when melting them down.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

If a FURNACE is operated in a Foundry, why is a Forge operated in a Forge?
    Foundry-forge.jpg

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

A forge is operated in a "forgery"; everybody knows that. :D

Mark's castings and Jason like this.
  6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Thought that was Drossidium??

7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Isn't a forge used in a smithy?
    :D

Jeff

Gippeto likes this.
  8. A furnace is operated in a foundry so you can cast.

A forge is operated in a forge so you can forge.

Why is it simple for the blacksmiths?

Jason likes this.
  9. rocco

rocco Silver

If what you do is bash things with a hammer for a living, it's probably best to keep things simple.:p

Mark's castings and Jason like this.
  10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Rocco, I can't disagree but I dare you to go over 'iforgeiron' and say that ;) Frosty will have a red hot poker ready for you in no time

11. Jason

Jason Gold

I've already been blacklisted from those guys. Turns out, they are HIGHLY jealous of those that cast metal. If you say ANYTHING about casting, no one
    will ever talk to you again and you get a nasty PM about liability and some other BS.

dennis and Mark's castings like this.
  12. OMM

OMM Silver

There is the mixture of both. Malleable iron. It can be poured and then forged. Forging things made thing stronger. This can be the chicken or egg situation. Modern tool steel will cut wootz damascus steel without blinking and eye.

Materials have elevated to a point where is strength, tensile integrity, the Sheer forces, weight, operating temperatures and elasticticisy are now all important.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  13. I see they have a dedicated foundry/casting subforum on their website now: they must have seen the light after that heretic Jason lit a fire under them. :D

Jason likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Gold

That's my MO Mark, Light the wick and slide out the side door.:D
    They can install 10 subforums, I wont be back after the nastygram I got years ago.;)

15. rocco

rocco Silver

I'm sure that's not far off the mark. One of the keys to success in life is to know your audience.

Jason likes this.
  16. Peedee

Peedee Silver

If we were all the same life would be boring... (I've never signed up for iforge and probably never will, just watch from the sidelines) Jason, did you get a permaban! Blimey!

I keep wanting to comment on the 'custing' sub-forum but haven't the strength to get involved.

Jason likes this.
  17. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I visited iforge but just found the newbee answers I was looking for when I built a gas forge last year and then moved on. No need to join or comment. Their guy Frosty has got the burner chops.
    Everyplace has their self perpetuated myths and fears I guess.

Jason likes this.
  18. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Glumpy joined iforgeiron, and very quickly turned over the tables, broke the beer bottles, and set the place ablaze.
    They ran him out of town on a rail pronto.

Jason likes this.
  19. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I got a thirty day timeout for disagreeing with their pompas attitudes to casting. After the 30 days, I told them about their pompas attitudes and got a permanent ban and most of my posts were deleted. But, I wasn't removed from the membership, they like have thousands of members even though most of them never come around anymore or are banned.
    My favorite Frosty saying is "10lbs. of molten iron has the potential explosive energy of a case of 40% dynamite. ".

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  20. Jason

Jason Gold

Geez I feel like a loser.:oops: All I did was piss off a couple of mods suggesting someone cast what they were making. Permaban is a badge of honor. WEAR IT PROUD BOYS!
    fk 'em all! :D lol.:p