Furnace lid removal

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by OMM, Sep 30, 2019.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

With some more thought about lid removal, I decided to make it a two-man lift, or a one man lift, or a notched handle that is a hinge. The angle iron is picking up 6 of the 10 bricks. There will be a hinging mechanism that will be locked on to the dog bone bar. The bars on each end are free spinning.

0AE20F8B-E254-4B20-94E1-73AEAF678F08.jpeg

Not a lot of time on my hands since, that thing work keeps getting in the way... but, I did have time to spin up these eight clamping clamping washers from stainless steel that are 3/4 diameter x 1” long, as I don’t want to weld if I want adjustablility. I drilled them out with letter “O” drill(0.316), and now I will mill them to be somewhat of a beam clamp for a 5/16 screw.

280C1B1D-1B96-480F-AAC3-7A5EBB6E0514.jpeg

Mark's castings and joe yard like this.
  2. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Matt
    The furnace is looking great. The light weight mobile design gives you many options.
    At this rate I would be surprised if you do not melt mettle before I do.
    i made it back out to the shop tonight.
    After air drying The sample was showing deformation at 10 Lb psi. The deformation was slight and cushioned. It was very light. I placed the 4 gram sample of wool + dried slurry in the heat treat oven and brought it up to 1800F
    After cooling the sample failed at just over 5 psi. When it failed it was a total failure that turned quickly to fine partials.
    I did not bring a scale nor camera tonight and the remains of the sample were promptly disposed of.
    I do have the non dissolved grog in a container. I will dry this out, weigh it to determine the total weight gain of the sample.
    I believe this would be a usable weight to compression ratio.
    After firing the material has poor abrasion resistance.
    I have made some progress on the burner slide and lid lift leaver assembly.
    It is now very close to ready for a test run.
    Before I plan on putting it into service I have to clean and modify a shed. It is the dreaded shed of quality stuff ... “junk”. I have been slowly digging my way down in the pile and found my old foundry bench. I hope to find a couple of flask in it. One less thing to build before getting started.
    Joe
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  3. OMM

OMM Silver

Joe just keep plugging at it a little bit every day. That’s what I do. I somewhat finalized my lid opening device, and I wanted to update this thread. After my trial lighting, I might add a extension handle.