My First Furnace Design/Construction

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Dazz, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I really think you should consider using either castable and blanket or IFB and blanket. If you are going to all the trouble of making casting forms just use castable for the hot face and refractory structure. Don't get wound up about cracks. There are hundreds (1000s ?) of hobby furnaces constructed of castable and blanket....in fact it's the most common.

You don't want to try to coat your IFB with castable refractory. It will contain grog/aggregate, and will not spread easily or at all on IFB at the recommended moisture content. If you use IFB and want to coat the surface, you should us a high alumina mortar. When people have previously recommended Satanite, keep in mind that it is just a mortar. There are many mortars. Some are dry and some are premixed but all can be slightly diluted with water if needed to make them spread easily, and they are designed for adhering IFBs. I would think any business that sells IFB would sell mortar and probably mortars that are well matched in regard to thermal expansion.

You should take a look at Oldironfarmer's IFB furnace build. It embodies all of the features you listed as being important to you. I think at last count he has 300+ melts on it. The majority are aluminum but he has done brass (Maybe iron?), and uses propane and oil burner.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/simple-brick-furnace.288/

You should do an advanced search under his user ID as he has more posts about his furnace.

Best,
    Kelly

2. Dazz

Dazz Copper

That is definitely my preference.
    The cracks don't concern me. Maintainability does. A Lego block type modular construction will allow me to make repairs and modifications without starting from ground zero.
    Good advice.

At first scan, it looks promising. I will take me a few days to get through all his posts.

I have looked at the beer keg option. I can understand why they are so appealing for others but for me, it will be cheaper to get a skin custom made than to buy a used beer keg. Even used ones are not cheap here.

Dazz

3. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Dazz,
    Have you seen Ironsides furnace builds?
    Well worth checking out. Just proves that it doesn't have to be complicated.

4. Dazz

Dazz Copper

Hi
    I consulted the supplier who can offer 1800 deg C rated castable. I will use that to make custom formed bricks backed with ceramic fibre insulation. Very close to what OldIronFarmer has done already. The only significant difference is that I will cast the bricks to shape rather than cutting them.

The plan is to start with the simple cheap things first, like tools, and leave the expensive items last. This includes the crucible and furnace.
    The first things I will cast will be items for a modular aluminium flask system. An improved version of one I've seen somewhere on this forum.

I may have some questions during the detailed design, but otherwise I don't expect to be very active on the forum until I get to the furnace build. Probably several months away.

Thanks for all of the advice and feedback received. It has given me a clear roadmap to follow.

Dazz

5. Dazz

Dazz Copper

6. Al2O3

I saw that video and thought it was a novel approach. I posted it in 2016 on AA and I wouldn't say the gallery, especially those with iron casting ambitions, were overly impressed with it.

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showt...od&highlight=interesting+furnace+construction

4 years wiser, I'd just say you'd be well served to keep the (thermal) mass low and this method of construction makes that more difficult because even insulating castables are still relatively massive. Most all common refractory materials are mostly alumina and aluminosilcates irrespective of what soild form they take. Lower mass means lower cost (and generally easier) to build, more insulative, quicker to heat, less fuel consumption, and more portable. At the same time it's harder to maintain the highest levels of durability and refractory as you push the low mass limits.

Best,
    Kelly

7. Dazz

Dazz Copper

Hi
    I initial posts/design started with pre-made light insulating bricks. On the advice of forum members and my supplier, I have ended up with going with custom castable bricks. I don't see any problem with the idea of making bricks. Professional furnaces use them. Child labourers have been making them for eons.

I like the modular brick approach in the video but there are some points I don't like in the execution.
    • There are no interlocking tabs between the layers. OK for temporary assembly but not OK for me.
    • The bricks are too long, increasing the risk of cracking.
    • The open surface of the mold forms a surface on the brick that is in direct contact with the adjacent brick. That surface needs to be formed by a mold face.
    • The solid bricks will make the foundry very heavy and expensive, although I note a members furnace mentioned above weighed in a 250kg.

I plan to solve these problems with a semi-hollow brick, something like shown in the image. The image shows the rear of a brick and two sides. I just whipped this up in CAD so it is only for illustration.

• The bricks will be keyed together with half-round tongue and grooves on all sides.
    • The rear surface of the brick will be the open side of the mold. The rear surface won't be in contact with the flame or another brick, so precise dimension and finish is not important.
    • The hollows on the rear will be formed with vibrating male mold parts. I will be able to add/remove material to properly fill the mold.
    • Relatively small bricks should reduce stress due to thermal gradients.

Dazz

Attached Files:

8. Al2O3

A reference citing the exploitation of children strikes me as a very odd way of making the case for the simplicity of a task. Speaking from experience, I can tell you you're in for a surprise if you think casting flaw free shapes with properly prepared castable refractory is analogous to making clay or concrete bricks. Besides, it's missing the point. It's not whether bricks can be easily made, it's whether the approach will yield any practical benefit or advantage for a small foundry furnace. You should also take a look at the recommended cure cycles for castable refractory and think about how you will accomplish that uniformly with each of your bricks because stresses induced by escaping superheated steam can easily crack/brake green castable refractory structures.

You seem very focused on making a furnace that doesn't crack. Professional furnace makers would tell you it is inevitable, especially in a hobby furnace. A furnace will have a very large temperature gradient across the wall from interior to exterior.....that's its function and what it's intended to do. Commercial furnaces are brought to temperature very slowly and then maintained there to reduce thermally induced stresses. In contrast, hobby furnaces are frequently cycled, heated rapidly and cooled very rapidly when they are opened which induces great thermal shock to the structure. A far better strategy than avoiding cracks is just adopting a design that is tolerant of the fault.

There are many things in life that in theory seem relevant and in practice are not. Good luck and please do keep us posted on your progress.

Best,
    Kelly

Mark's castings likes this.
  9. It all depends on your goals: do you want to invent a new furnace with many modification cycles to iron out the issues or is your goal to make metal castings?. Ideally a furnace is cheap to build, run and maintain as well as simple and reliable with all other considerations secondary.

OMM and Al2O3 like this.
  10. Al2O3

I couldn't agree more......and there is certainly room for both trains of thought here on THF.......just a matter of establishing the goals and criteria for success.

Best,
    Kelly

11. Dazz

Dazz Copper

Hi
    Accepting the inevitability of cracks doesn't mean they should be ignored. A brick based furnace effectively builds-in controlled cracks.

The castable I will be using requires 10% water to mix. I will definitely need vibration to get it into a mold. If I mess up casting a brick, I will learn something from my mistake(s) and move on to the next. If I mess up an attempt to make a single piece cast kiln, I will lose multiple bags of expensive castable that will take weeks to replace (not held in stock by the supplier). A brick based approach is for me a lower risk path to success. It is not radically different to other successful furnaces.

The planned construction method meets my design goals. Your design goals might be different. Different is not wrong, it is just different.

Dazz

12. OMM

OMM Silver

Dazz, I do like your tongue and groove design. But, the hollowing of the back will allow for different amounts of expansion with in itself. IMO I think you’re going to have many hairline cracks within the brick at a very early stage. I just went with the light IFB,s and no mortar. So I literally have hundreds of cracks to start. I’m going to do an aluminum pour , then copper, then cast iron and evaluate the untreated IFB‘s after each firing. I built up my chimney exhaust mortar the bricks together and surface mortared. I’ll get to compare these two faces early on. When I was getting my IFB I had the choice between 28 and 35. The 35’s had aboat 25% more density/weight each. I was warned that the light IFB’s do not last as long under direct flame, but last longer under indirect flame. If this is the case, the rest of the inside of the furnace might get a 1/16”-1/8”coat. I’ve tested a scrap of my IFB‘s with direct propane and laser thermal sensing gun to get HI which is just over 1200°F. It was only glowing red-ish. Inside my furnace with diesel and WVO (the brick might react differently) the brick was glowing white.

There is a drawback to light weight/density IFB’s. They lose their hot face so fast, sometimes you just can’t reignite.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  13. Al2O3

14. Dazz

Dazz Copper

Yes, I agree that is definitely a risk. I think the brick would be most likely to crack either side of the central web. The rounded corners are an attempt to minimise stress risers that cracks could start at.

There are other things that might work to mitigate the risk:
    • Minimising the thickness (front to back) to reduce the thermal gradient across the bricks and the associated stress.
    • Back the bricks with good fibrous ceramic insulation to reduce the thermal gradient across the bricks,
    • Make the bricks square instead of rectangular (in other words, pre-make the expected crack)
    • Make the bricks smaller,
    • Reduce the thermal mass to allow faster heating,
    • Gently heat and cool the furnace.
    A lot depends on the material properties and the quality of brick making. There is also a risk that I am just over thinking this. There are too many variables and uncertainties to make a reliable prediction of the effects of any mitigation. I am just going to have to give a go and accept the risk of failure.

Dazz

15. Dazz

Dazz Copper

Hi Kelly
    I am certain I will need a vibration table.
    Nice furnaces. There are some complex shapes. More ambitious than I am aiming for. It does provide confidence in the feasibility of making bricks.

Dazz

16. Al2O3

Your bullet summary are some of the reasons why I have come around to the virtues of the ceramic fiber furnaces with a very thin painted Satanite (mortar) hot face. Besides being lowest thermal mass, least expensive, and easiest to build, they have the thinnest hot face which means the smallest temp gradient across the hot face. The ceramic fiber is compliant at the interface with the hot face so it will tolerate hot face movement......though the fiber can break down at higher temps depending upon the type you are using. You can heat gently but the one thing you can't escape in a crucible furnace is cooling rapidly when you open the furnace.

Best,
    Kelly

OMM and FishbonzWV like this.
  17. FishbonzWV

Listen to what Kelly is trying to tell you.
    Less mass is better. You don't have to use excess energy to bring a furnace to temp which equates to faster melt times.
    Since the consensus is you folks down under can't get ahold of Satanite then Zircon W seems to be the goto hotface coating.
    (one of you folks need to contact Harbison Walker and get a few bags to distribute down there)

Do you need more than 1/4" of hotface for emissivity? I don't think so, anything thicker than that is just a heatsink.

I'm a firm believer in this type of furnace and there are shortcomings for iron melting due to the fact that liquid iron is so hard on any refractory. The beauty of this furnace is, if the refractory gets compromised just use your fingers and peel the coating off and paint more on. If you have to do that every dozen iron melts, no big deal. It's easier than making more bricks and tearing your furnace apart to replace them.

You can build this furnace with an angle grinder and welder in a weekend. No computer, no Cad, just plain old 'getter done'.
    Is it 'pretty' or look like it came out of a showroom? No.
    Does it work? Hell yeah!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    OMM likes this.
  18. OMM

OMM Silver

I think there is a lot of good information in the last 4-5 posts, but...
    - if cast iron is the goal,
    - and waste oil/diesel is the fuel of choice

A IFB design like he has shown would be way easier to replace non-mrotared brick. The slanted lid/ceiling would be a challenge. He could wrap the IFB’s with 2”(50mm) of ceramic wool like I did.

Dazz design;
    12862AC9-D3FF-46F5-A4BD-A18F4C5F8519.jpeg
    A0A48421-F05E-4FE2-AB04-3EC3AEBCD15C.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  19. FishbonzWV

There you go...compromising the KISS principle ;)

OMM likes this.
  20. OMM

OMM Silver

Lol. Somebody had to :cool:. If he was goaling for only LP or NG 100%. But I think he’s looking for more.