Coronavirus, COVID-19

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by OMM, Mar 12, 2020.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

This seems to be getting bigger and bigger. In the last eight hours every school of almost any sort is closing down for the next three weeks in my area.

Come on. If you been out of the country for the last three weeks and you're feeling a little ill don't go to work!

Jason likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

No shit... I did a lot of traveling here in the states over the last couple of weeks. I've pretty much hid in hotel rooms after pissing lysol over everything and even spent 6hrs
    lounging around inside the airplane killing time. Sitting around a bunch of strange people for hours on end in a small room is not my idea of a good time.

With that said, the media is a bit outta control. Personally, I would have locked down the COUNTRY about 3months ago. IN/OUT, take your pick.

IvanAlmighty likes this.
  3. _Jason

_Jason Silver

I live in north Dallas and the city is losing it's mind. We're out of toilet paper (??), ice, bottled water, and bread. The schools are closed and the city manager just declared an emergency and banned public gatherings larger than 500 people.

We have five confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Dallas and three in Frisco.

I sure do miss living in the country.

4. OMM

OMM Silver

In my area what I think they're doing is sticking it to parents, teachers and children. Next week is spring break. A lot of people scheduled vacation time and trips around the situation to be returning one week from Sunday. If you take the vacation... now you're in a two week self forced isolation.

I don't get it. Why would anybody want to go to an infected zone? Almost everything is going to be shut down and you might be put into Quarantine when you come back anyway.

5. Here you go, some good discussion on it's effects:

OMM likes this.
  6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Where I'm at is a 24/7 operation. It never shuts down and is manned at all times.
    The higher powers are trying to figure out how to handle this. Pretty sure that means I'm screwed...

7. OMM

OMM Silver

What is your profession? Are you in reactional or prevention?

I personally teach at a college/university. I also teach high school kids in accelerated apprenticeship programs at college level.

I am unsure of how this is going to financially affect me. But… I'd rather stay home and maybe melt metal in the next three weeks with the beautiful spring temps.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

I have a buddy that works for Alaska Airlines... He told me today they are not allowed to call it the wuhan flu because it's "racist" o_O
    WTF? I bet my left nut this politically correct run amok BS is more dangerous than the virus! Watching people turn this into a political shitstorm
    is not helping the situation. This thing is SERIOUSLY F'king up the market to the delight of a certain group of society. To what avail? REALLY! TO WHAT AVAIL?
    Poor KFC got crucified today in the UK because of an Ad they run using their DECADES old slogan, "Finger licking good!"

A person is smart, but people ARE STUPID!

9. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I work in K-12 Schools. Just got Told that the Kids are on "extended" Spring break for 3 weeks. Odds are that means I still get to come in...Lucky me. From my understanding right now we're trying to slow the rate that this stuff spreads so we don't overwhelm the health care system.... but we're all going to end up with it eventually. I've been happy to stay away from the media as they seem to have nothing else to report on for now.

Petee716 likes this.
  10. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Our PM's wife officially has it, and even the hair apparent (JT himself) has fled into some sort of secure bunker to wait this thing out.

I'm hoping my employer is about to tell us all to work from home for the foreseeable future until this thing passes. Less risk of getting infected, and besides that, just skipping the 90 minute round trip to and from the office 5 times a week alone sounds pretty good to me...

I'm definitely glad the kids are old enough to stay home on their own (if I'm not teleworking) during this upcoming triple length March break, so that we don't have to figure out some kind of daycare for them.

CBB is right about the media, the ongoing native railroad blockade protest here somehow doesn't seem to be nearly such a big news story anymore. Maybe because nobody wants to be cooped up inside a train with a bunch of strangers breathing on them right now anyway...

Jeff

11. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I run a 30 mgd surface water plant. If I'm not operating the plant/ system, then I'm back in the lab running process samples.
    There is 11 of us operators and one in training to keep this place running and you have to be licensed by the state. Last couple of years we were down to 9 operators due to a couple retiring, and one passing on to the blue yonder.
    The amount of overtime I was working was about to kill me. I can imagine what would happen if a bunch of us fell sick.
    Personally I'd rather have the virus than have to work the overtime....

12. OMM

OMM Silver

Went grocery shopping on Friday morning to beat the rush. I didn't really need any toilet paper, paper towel, water, hand sanitizer, or bleach. What the heck are people thinking??? I ask this of the store employee. She said the reason why they're all out of toilet paper is, when somebody sneezes, everybody around them shits themselves (reaction).
    9801D0FA-0C45-4B4E-ADDF-5CD4187E2D90.jpeg

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah I was in the homeless depot and you should have seen the zombies panic buying stuff.

14. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

My friends were going to the grocery stores worried about everything been sold out...... I went to the gun shop worried that was were the locust would hit next :D
    not too worried about the food (I live in a very rural area if i have things to come out of my slug thrower I can make dinner). Also was in the local hardware store getting some stuff for a normal non virus related project they had TP, paper towels and cleaners all at normal prices so I guess the lemmings skipped there in their panic.

15. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I got dragged to the grocery store, supposedly as protection in case of any TP riots breaking out yesterday, but they had plenty at hand (though the canned food aisle was a bit bare), and the place was empty enough that I was able to avoid aisles with people in them, only getting trapped in the dairy corner for maybe 2 minutes.

This morning I finally got word from my boss to work from home until I hear otherwise, which I'm more than ok with.

Jeff

16. Jason

Jason Gold

There ya go Jeff.... The shed qualifies as home. Get to casting!

17. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

IMG_0772.jpg

Decisions, decisions.

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah people are losing their minds here too. Pretty annoying. I wanted chicken and rice and there was a line 100+ people long to check out all buying pallets of supplies stacked taller than them. So I just left without getting my items because to hell with that.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Shit beer or TP? I think I'd take the TP instead of drinking any of that piss water.

20. Clay

Clay Copper

Looks like they took the Miller Lite and left the TP.