Bronze Hands Lost Wax Project

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Sillytrain, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Tried it. I felt like my cheap Princess Auto spats were going to trip me up at a bad time before they ever saved me. I'd definitely wear them otherwise.

Jeff

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'm still cringing from watching it. It's all been said but I would add IMO it's just a matter of time before you suffer a potentially severe and very painful injury. Might ask yourself how your Father In-law would feel if casting his hands cost you yours....or worse. There's an element of risk to everything and though I agree to a degree safety can be a matter of personal choice, there is also the example we set for others here on the forum to be considered......and I would never suggest under any circumstances someone adopt the practice of handling a crucible of molten metal that way. If there was a violent steam explosion I wouldn't count on that $5 visor saving your eyesight with the close proximity of your face.

Good progress on the casting, not so much on PPE and casting practice.

Best,
    Kelly

dtsh likes this.
  3. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Don't be driven away by the suggestions from the guys here, it's pretty amazing how wrong things can go with molten metal. When it does you gain a new insight into how much you just got away with, if you are as lucky as I am.

4. Al2O3

No intention to drive him away. Quite the contrary. Just trying to keep him walking amongst us!

Best,
    Kelly

Jason likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

I like seeing what guys make around here and enjoy watching their skills progress. The only way that can happen is if they continue to have a good casting experience. I've had a few failures along the way and every time I said at least I'm still in one piece to try again another day.. Crucibles CAN fail and when up to temperature are flexible. You learn this lesson when you build a pouring shank for one and the fit is outta whack. Doh!:eek:

6. OMM

OMM Silver

I just want to know if it was a good pour and how the mould/part turned out.

We all have different thresholds of temperature and PPE available to us.

Some of us wear silver suits, some of us wear canvas shoes with no socks, And polar fleece.
    EFFEC3DE-B5B4-4A9F-9067-5A43A02F0540.jpeg

But, how did the part turn out?

I think you guys are being too critical.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

there is a photo of the hand with the video post... Its repairable, but probably not by him at this point. He's making great progress, took me a couple years to sort this stuff out.

8. OMM

OMM Silver

I missed this. A simple guess... A small drip of 2200°F liquid only 6 inches away? You had some really good foot placement!

I have to apologize to everyone. I’ve been accused of being overly negative during this pandemic. I am trying to find positives in every approach. Everybody should get a an award!

4EA2A69A-40CF-4BC2-85C1-F15587A78E81.jpeg

9. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I didn't phrase my comment very well, I just didn't want the guy to feel embarrased and not return.

I certainly wouldn't have the balls to pick up that crucible and I'm well known for doing daft things!

OMM likes this.
  10. OMM

OMM Silver

I am well with you. But maybe he has more experience or handling experience then any of us can claim to. It looks like it is a comfortable rehearsed pour. Would you not agree?

11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Nope, but I don't want a battle so I'll leave it to those more experienced than me.

I'm uneasy around ceramic wool that isn't stabilised as well. Deck shoes and a very sticky fleece should it catch? I'm in the camp that these threads are viewed by lots of folks

I have run a mold across the yard to tip the flask when the cope lifted, in an attempt to save the casting, stupid but I needed the part for a meeting the next day. (It worked and I survived) I've also had a few pounds of brass run around my garden like a hooker on a promise, everywhere I ran it spat after me.

In my limited knowledge I'll let others decide what they consider is good practice but their are two ways to learn your limits and how far you can push lady luck? (We aren't talking dropping the roasting dish here or even the horrific burns of dropping a frying pot, more than few blobs of this shit burns until it has nothing left to burn)

It's up to the OP how he takes those comments but I sincerely hope it's with concern rather than some safety n*zi BS just to slate him, that isn't the case as I see it.

12. Al2O3

In the first sentence of the first post of this thread the OP indicates it's his first project. I think I/we may have the upper hand on him experience-wise. How bout you?.....and I would not agree because I fail to see how comfort and rehearsal makes poor practice good practice. The crucible was drug out of the furnace with tongs pinching the wall.....that in itself invites crucible breakage and a spill. It could have just as easily been dropped with the open face of the crucible pointing towards him and sloshed 5-10lbs of molten bronze onto his feet.

I do like the OP's enthusiasm and motivation for taking on the project and would like to see him succeed. I do recall reading his first post and thinking his chances of first pass success were slim, but given that was six months and several attempts ago, he may have the perseverance to get there.

I think he's just getting good advice not criticism. Now, if he posted that pour on YouTube, he'd be getting lit up like a fat joint on a Denver Sunday afternoon.

OMM, sort of surprising a guy that would point out the dangers of wearing gloves or loose clothing around machinery sees no problem with holding a crucible with 30lbs+ of molten bronze like he's watering the petunias on the patio. Besides his own safety, it's an unnecessary risk with potentially great consequences and beyond his own personal well being, if someone else reading this thread decides to give it a go I'd rather they not feel like they got the idea here.

On the positive side, it's sort of a unique furnace being square and open front, and he does seem to be getting very hot bronze......most newbies don't get there that quickly. I cant recall if he describes his furnace in some other thread. He calls it a forge, and if that's what it really is, and he has some Smithing skills, that could come in handy.

What his set up really calls for is an open ring shank because then he could snatch and pour the crucible in one action with his set up.

Sillytrain, here is a link to a thread discussing shanks. Some are elaborate, some quite simple. The link takes you directly to the post on my A10 open ring shank. I used it without incident for two years without the top clamp which was added later.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/lifting-tongues-and-pouring-rings.898/#post-20872

There are lot's of ways to build them. I used 1/8" sheet steel, cut, bent, and welded to suit because that was easy for me. You could also pound a piece of rebar into shape with or without heat, and weld it onto the end of pipe or, find a local blacksmith or hobbyist with a ring roller and have him roll a ring of 1/2" diameter steel rod that fits your crucible, cut the opening of the ring to just over the OD of the crucible base, and weld that onto a pipe......and you have an open ring shank.

In use you just slide the shank onto the crucible at the base and when you lift it grips the crucible and reverse to release it......one step.

Best,
    Kelly

Peedee likes this.
  13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

"he'd be getting lit up like a fat joint on a Denver Sunday afternoon"

Not to distract from the message (which was put better than I ever could) I'm stealing your quote! Thanks

14. dtsh

dtsh Silver

To add on to what some of the rest of you have said, I don't think I would be comfortable pouring like that. That said, there's no reason to feel defensive (not suggesting OP is, but it's a common human reaction) as ignorance is the human default. It's hard learning good process when you're learning on your own, but I think it's important to help each other and to accept that some constructive criticism is helpful. We improve and learn, sometimes through experience and sometimes through interaction with others.

I've leared a lot from you guys, I wish this place had been around decades ago when, as a boy, I attempted my first castings using oxy-actylene and a POP mold. I had a steam explosion which threw hot metal back at me and while there was no lasting harm, there could have been. I wasn't trying to be careless, I was simply ignorant of the dangers.

I am certain if I posted my process there would be many comments one could make; for example Jason appeared unimpressed with my lifting and pouring shank, but I feel comfortable with it and continue to use it. I know there have been times when I've not used the best process and only through luck have I learned from it an easier way rather than the hard one. No shame in making mistakes, only in repeating them.

Jason and Peedee like this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

I don't really see a safety nazi thing around here on the forum. That's a good thing! We are all big boys, using dangerous toys and experience levels range from beginners to seasoned pros. I'm completely cool with suffering a little embarrassment for doing something that could lead to a lifetime of misery. If I choose to continue after being warned, then that one is me. And yes, I still pour metal in sand basins over concrete. I'm confident in my procedure, it's not the best, but I assume the risk. On the bright side, I'm not one of these MASK wearing idiots driving down the highway with the windows up and alone in the car. :rolleyes:
    woman-wearing-mask-driving.jpg

16. rocco

rocco Silver

That doesn't really make sense to me either, btw, she got gloves how come she isn't wearing those too?

As far as the safety nazis go, if they think I'm not aware of a particular safety hazard, go ahead and inform me, after that, your job is done, leave me alone and let me do my thing, whatever happens is on me, you're absolved of any further responsibility.

Jason likes this.
  17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Like I said, I didn't see any safety nazi BS going on just good clean advice. How the OP takes that is up to him.

Another forum in another time in another universe ............ Be good to see the results of the next pour, there has been some quick progress made with this one, maybe someone will get the bug :)

Jason and dtsh like this.
  18. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I didn't cringe because of handling the crucible, I cringed because his face was right above the mould. :eek:
    Please, please, please, make yourself a pouring shank.

Jason likes this.
  19. Sillytrain

Sillytrain Silver

Thanks for all the feedback, metal casting brothers! I just finished pouring my next mold using the same process but this time I strapped some ceramic fiber to the tops of my shoes just to be safe. No harm no foul during this pour. I’ll post a vid later on once I’m done demolding. Feeling super hopeful that I’ve got a solid cast this time.
    I’ve always been a pyro and always felt comfortable around fire and ultra hot stuff. I’m taking extra precautions but am happy with the ease of my pouring process. Next time I plan on having even more Ppe protection in place. thanks for being supportive everyone!

20. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Can't wait to see it, you were very close last time!