Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Martin Thomas, May 21, 2020.

1. Martin Thomas

Martin Thomas Copper

Hi Everyone.
    New member from Wales, U.K. Retired firfighter, been playing around with a homemade furnace and some greensand. Hoping to make some improvements on my technique and learn some more. Came across the site by accident (wasting time during lockdown ).
    Regards
    Martin

2. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Hello from the east coast (Suffolk)

Generally photos or it didn't happen is the motto around these parts (in the nicest possible way) Some really clever guys on here, what are you doing/looking to do?

3. Martin Thomas

Martin Thomas Copper

Hi Peedee.
    Started off with me wanting to cast a kickstart pedal for a vintage Harley I was building, the more I looked into it the more it snowballed. Decided to cast a few things in lead to see how it all went, seemed to go ok. Managed to cast a simple hinge part in aluminium for an obsolete hinge on my boat cabin hatch, so slowly slowly.
    Regards.

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome aboard Martin.

5. Peedee

Peedee Silver

"the more I looked into it the more it snowballed"

I have no idea what you mean? ;)

6. Martin Thomas

Martin Thomas Copper

Thanks guys.

7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Ain't it the truth!
    Welcome Martin.

Pete

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome Martin. We live for photos around here. Let's see what ya got!

9. Martin Thomas

Martin Thomas Copper

17C6979D-4F7B-4874-B66A-65C4F366D02B.jpeg Thanks for the welcome, well here is my first ever casting in aluminium, obsolete part of a hinge. Pattern on the left casting on the right. As I said my first casting so bear it in mind.-

Jason likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

Very nice!

11. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks much better than my first casting...

12. dtsh

dtsh Silver

You're off to a good start it seems, I was a few pours in before I seen anything near acceptable.