FYI Thread

Discussion in 'Investment casting Ceramic shell method' started by OCD, Sep 23, 2017.

1. OCD

OCD Silver

All of us are in the never ending search of attempting to duplicate commercial product recipes and rightly so considering the cost of the product + "SHIPPING".

This thread is dedicated to any and all information which has been researched, tired and proven to work along with any & all other pertinent information surrounding all aspects of the products used in the varying processes of mold making & casting.

Considering the shipping cost of silica sand I am starting this thread off with a measurement conversion table.
    This information is a PDF off line with copying permissions given.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

The Desert Yeti likes this.
  2. OCD

OCD Silver

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Note that the very first dip in the slurry was allowed to completely dry. I haven't tried this yet with suspendaslurry, but I want to see what effect this has on surface finish and if it makes shell removal harder...

Maybe I'll build a larger BP for david using this method. I figure by now, he should be ready for some more girth! :eek: If I'm feeling adventurous, I might even make it hollow so he can insert his favorite buzzing device. I'm sure banggood has some affordable options that some youtuber is pushing to make 5 cents.

(Can I get a like for this one?????) LMAO.:D:D:D:D

Tobho Mott likes this.
  4. OCD

OCD Silver

Piss Off. :D

Jason likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm still scratching my head on this so called "invention" These asshats didnt invent a damn thing and got awarded a patent from where? Botswana or some other 3rd world armpit?

6. OCD

OCD Silver

US patient date Oct. 2003

7. Jason

Jason Gold

OCD is long gone man... He got out of the casting game and never even used suspendaslurry one time.

If you want to do ceramic shell casting, do yourself a favor in the beginning and just pay the money and get it from R&R. Trust me, if you dink around trying to poor boy this stuff, you'll waste more time and money pulling your hair out. Get the process down to start with by knowing what works so when you mess with your own brew later, you'll know when you have achieved success. I know 300bucks for 2bags of sand and a 5gallon bucket might sound like a lot, it actually is very reasonable. Just stay away from Shellspen. Now that place is a ripoff. I'll sell you a small jar of slurry and 2 ziplock bags of silica, just send me 100bucks plus shipping. :eek:

If you do want to try your hand at shell work, get to stepping! R&R will not ship slurry during the colder months of the year due to freezing risk.;)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  8. Thanks man for the good info. I might hold off for a bit but I will message you if I decide to take up the offer. How long do you estimate a 5 gallon bucket lasts you. Its kind of a relative question but just looking for a generalization. I will be making mostly casts that are no larger than the size of a coffee mug.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

I can tell you after 2 years throw the bucket away. I had a failure and learned the hard way. Now let's say you are dipping objects the size of coffee cups. Each one will need 6 or 7 dips into the slurry and a coat of the different silicas. I would say you could coat 30-40 cups with the contents of a 5gallom bucket. So yes it goes a really long long way. You gotta keep it tightly sealed and occasionally add distilled water to bring it back to spec. The silica dries it out a little as you dip me thinks. Hit me up with your shell questions. I love the stuff, it's extremely versatile, but cracking can be a pain. There are ways around it, but will test your patience that's for sure! OCD wanted to try to duplicate it, but found in the end, the raw materials to make a knockoff was extremely expensive and difficult to get ahold of in small quantities.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

If you check out my YouTube channel, I demonstrate and talk about using the stuff. It's easy and safe to use. You should mask up when sprinkling the silicas, but by now you are used to wearing a dust mask. lol.

11. Ya I have! I found your boil out method pretty interesting

12. Jason

Jason Gold

it works pretty good. I still crack the cup sometimes. Helps if I make it thick