1956 buick build

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by DavidF, Jul 15, 2020.

1. I saw a red X19 convertible on the road this morning, I thought it was an old Triumph TR-7 but the bonnet logo was wrong.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

How dare you Mark insult the ugly triumph wedge like that? My sister had a TR7 and a buddy of mine owned a TR8! That thing would go like a scalded rat, but it was
    still a POS. I do have a weird desire to own a Tr-4a.... Prices are rising fast on them.

Can you believe someone actually doing that to a Series 1 coupe?? I guess they never realized they would be worth THIS MUCH.

https://www.hagerty.ca/apps/valuationtools/1963-Jaguar-E~Type-SI_3.8

Current Values
    • #1 Concours $293,000
      Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."
    • #2 Excellent $207,000
    • #3 Good $119,000
    • #4 Fair $85,500

And your fiat is still worth 50bucks.

Mark's castings likes this.
  3. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

What the resale difference in a 1956 buick between an LS4 conversion and keeping everything stock? I would have thought there is more value in doing a perfect stock restoration, even if you have the crappy old engine etc?

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Who knows, at the end of the day its worth whatever someone will pay for it.
    Something like this people tend to buy with their hearts rather than their heads.
    I'm not building it for resale. I'm building it because I like it, and building it to be a go anywhere driver and not some bragged up work bench sitting dust covered in the garage.

Clay likes this.
  5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I had a 2006 Monte Carlo SS with the LS4. I think that particular engine was made specifically for FWD so would be a challenge to convert to the Buick but I get the idea. That was an excellent mid-life crisis car. Lots of power and absolutely loved the highway. It wasn't the fastest car on the road but would get you out of a bad neighborhood in a hurry.

Pete

6. DavidF

I bought an 04 esclade with an lq9 6.0 L.
    Its 345 hp stock. I plan on dropping in a stage 2 cam, springs, injectors, and a 3k stall converter on 3.73 gears. That should put it to about 480 hp or so.
    The stock 322 is about 220 hp, which isn't bad. But that dynaflow transmission would have to go. The adaptor to bolt up an 700r4 is $700.00
    And would be about $2200. To rebuild the motor.
    The esclade only cost me $1400.00 and I can part out alot of it to recoup some expenses.
    Parts is parts right lol..
    SmartSelect_20190903-174633_Facebook.jpg

7. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Exactly.
    My same thoughts with the Austin. 2016 Camaro 3.6L V6, 8L45 transmission, XKE IRS, Heidt coilover front narrowed 5".

IMG_20200706_130353.jpg

IMG_20200711_102334.jpg

DavidF likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

That IRS is missing some parts there buddy. Where are the 4 coil overs?

9. DavidF

Still under the donor vehicle.
    What was your address again? Asking for a friend :D

10. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Silly boy. You can't set the ride height with the coilovers in place. Neither front or back.

11. Jason

Jason Gold

You need the proper churchill tool to do it BEFORE you install it, at least on the Jag. If you need the drawings for the tools, let me know. I seem to remember there is actually 2 different custom tools you need to set the IRS up correctly. The JCNA used to loan them out for a small deposit. I'm planning on making my own now that I have the toys to do so. :D

12. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

The rear suspension link is used when the IRS is still in the OEM suspension cross member and in the car. It positions the hub so the camber can be set. Since I don't know the final weight of the car I'll need to select the springs based on that for the chosen ride height.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Oh that's right... you chucked the cage.
    nevermind..;)

14. DavidF

Finished welding up the c piller and test fit the chrome and weather strip. Good enough for me :D
    20200803_135701.jpg
    Then onto that damn inner panel. After trying every cutting tool that I own to see if I could get in there and cut out what I wanted to i decided to attack it from the inside, which meant having to remove the trunk hinge assembly to gain access.
    20200803_152832.jpg
    20200803_160501.jpg
    Now I have room to work!!
    Stay tuned for the next episode where I beat the piss out of a piece of sheet metal to make a patch panel....:rolleyes:

Clay likes this.
  15. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Shot bag and E-wheel..... You should have that panel knocked out in 40 mins, 1 hour tops.
    The trunk lid drop edge might take an hour more on the shrinker/stretcher. ;)

16. DavidF

Don't have any of those tools.
    But I do have a hammer and blocks of wood ;):)

17. Trev's Blog over on the Youtubes is a really great source of panel fabrication knowledge. His day job is repairing collector car bodywork and panels back to mint condition: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB8HF8Pqug-Pc7DFqX9lf_g

He does show complex panel forming techniques with simple tools that is impressive.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  18. crazybillybob

Come on over.... I have both you can use them anytime :D

19. DavidF

If it was a shorter drive........

20. crazybillybob

It's only 7 or 8 hours one way....depending on traffic. ;)