1956 buick build

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by DavidF, Jul 15, 2020.

1. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

I'd be cranky too!

Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

dave,
    If adjusting that break turns out to be too much for you and you're ready to throw it out and buy a nice new "High quilty" Eastwood one. Let me know I'll drive over and haul it away for free ;)

DavidF likes this.
  3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Poor guy. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. Bite maybe?

DavidF likes this.
  4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Getting a handle on the shrinker stretcher. Found it quicker to make a template of the curve so your not having to go back and forth from the tool to the body to check the fit.
    Got one section butt welded together, ground back, and shot some primer on it.
    Look mom no bondo! :D
    20200925_140059.jpg 20200925_161324.jpg 20200925_163637.jpg 20200925_165914.jpg

MrCrankyface and Tobho Mott like this.
  5. DavidF

then started working on this corner section.
    Is a compound curve and the bend reduces in angle from one end to the other.
    I got it pretty close today and will finish it up tomorrow...
    20200925_175721.jpg

6. DavidF

Just a bit more to go and this corner is finished.
    Also heard a cool song for when grinding welds down... Saliva " badass" ;):cool:
    20200927_133515.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

When you start getting close you'd better switch to Simon and Garfunkel! Lol

8. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

That window is looking good!

9. DavidF

Thanks!
    I have to admit, this car has more rust than I was expecting to find. But im committed.
    After looking at others on the net this one isn't as bad, so I'm thankful.
    Found another guy who was building a pro touring car, but his project seems to have stalled out, and I'm assuming it was because of having way too much rust.
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/116930-1956-Buick-special-refined-aggression

Then I found some motovation...:cool:

10. DavidF

Finally got my lift. Drug it home fully assembled.
    WTH, its only 10' wide. Lol...
    received_365477351311204.jpeg received_1052460288527422.jpeg

FishbonzWV and Tobho Mott like this.
  11. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Wow, how'd that come to be? Display unit? Pre-owned? Looks good. Bet you're pleased to see it in your shop. When I bought mine 15+ years ago it arrived at my local freight terminal on a pallet roughly 3' x 3" x 16'. I sent a tilt-bed auto transporter to retrieve it and he gently tilted and slid it off the truck onto my driveway and I assembled the pieces from there. When I moved six years ago I disassembled into the ends and rails and moved it in four pieces.

Best,
    Kelly

12. DavidF

Long story short, I wanted the extra long/tall model which would have been a 6 week wait.
    But they had one they took to a show and let me have it provided I took it home after the show so they didn't have to bring it back with them.
    No discount, but did save me 5 hours of assemble time.
    Now just need to get it off the trailer. Was going to do it this morning but got stuck working 3 pm til 7 am this morning, and back in again at 3 today. I'm whooped :( tomorrow is another day...

13. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Did you have to go under any bridges or underpasses on the way home? That would have been a pucker up moment.

14. DavidF

A couple, but I knew the route. I've towed my camper that way before, and its alot taller.
    The width made it a bit sketchy in one spot but mail boxes are pretty cheap to replace :rolleyes:.

Managed to get it off the trailer this morning, but won't make it into the garage until Thursday.
    Have to take billy back to the vet tomorrow for a check up on his boo boo...
    20201006_132627.jpg

15. rocco

rocco Silver

I can't tell from the pictures, did you get a rolling jack with that lift?

16. DavidF

I thought about it, but it was $800.00
    It did come with a rolling jack tray for free, and I can make something to work off it....

17. DavidF

Its in the shop... man this sucker puts it way up there....
    20201009_130206.jpg 20201009_131939.jpg

Al2O3, Tobho Mott and Petee716 like this.
  18. DavidF

Sand blasting sucks!!!
    But have to do it, going to the platers next week.
    20201009_143159.jpg

19. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

You are lucky to have access to platers. It is very hard to find a plater who will take one off jobs here.
    Mark

20. DavidF

Back at it this weekend. Finally finished the back of the roof, working on passenger side c pillar now and a lil bit below the rear glass.
    Stripped the roof down bare and etched it in preparation for epoxy prime. Hopefully I'll have the entire top finished in a couple more weekends. Its gets alot easier once the top is done.
    20201114_161052.jpg 20201114_161111.jpg