Bridgeport for Beginners!

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

I can see that. If I needed the 2 inches it eats up or was doing heavy cuts, I'd pull it off. Most of my stuff is pretty small and lightweight. When I cut that weird shaped wrench above, I actually had to use the old swivel bridgeport vise to indicate that angle in...

2. Jason

Jason Gold

3. OMM

OMM Silver

I would've just indicated it on the surface table (holding on to the parallel services of wrench in the grinding Vice) and then flip the vice 90° in the milling vice.

4. OMM

OMM Silver

I might be mistaken but I think the price dropped huge two or three years ago when they started making the castings offshore.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

That was a good idea. Where were you 2weeks ago?:p I wish more people would display their setups for work holding. Ya don't know what you don't know....
    Stuart Haro on Youtube had a couple of workholding videos with some clever ideas. The 2nd video shows some off the wall stuff.

6. OMM

OMM Silver

Shoot me a text message or pm anytime you want. I'm only really busy 20 hours a week. It would be cool if you had an iPhone. LOL.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

uh yeah... You couldnt give me a new iphone.

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Amen to that!

I just upgraded my samsung s9+ memory card from a 200 gb to a 1 TB card.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm still on the s8.. Got almost 3years with the same phone! I'll be damned if I'm dropping 2grand every year for a new pair of phones for my wife and I. Just waiting on a deal to come along from tmobile..

10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I couldn't even tell you what my phone is and I've used it for years! I get the kids hand me downs. It's been thrown, dropped, walked over, dropped in plaster and a toilet.

It makes and takes calls and sort of takes pictures and connects to 4G. When it stops doing that I may have to consider spending money or looking for the next out-cast ;)

Each to their own, there was a time I had cutting edge phones company supplied, great if you want constant email allerts and calls across all the time-zones you are dealing with.

Jason likes this.
  11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I got my s9 plus during a 2 for 1 deal. So I got 2 of them. I was going to use one for work but then my sister's s8 died, so I mailed her the second one. She seemed to like the new features.

12. Peedee

Peedee Silver

In a divine comedy sort of way I dropped my bomb proof phone into the toilet.... hoping bags of silica will recover the old friend

Jason likes this.
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

I've done that one. It happens when it takes two hands to maneuver "things" and you use your head to hold the phone against your shoulder. Try to round up an old S8, they are toilet proof. Especially if you put it in an otter box.;)

When mine went for a swim I was taking a leak, I SNEEZED and that was it. :oops:

14. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

There's an easy fix for that, sit down to piss when you're at home or in a family members house. The bathroom stays much cleaner when you don't have piss water splashed all around the toilet. I've been sitting to piss at home for 25 years or more. It's actually quite calming.
    I learned this on a sailing trip when the boat was bouncing so hard you couldn't stand up without hanging on. I carried the practice home and have done it ever since. Try it, you'll like it.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, I think I'll pass on that one. I revoke man cards for less.

16. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Ziplock bag with a handful of silica gel, it lives!

If I sat down to pee I'd forget why I was in there in first place (age!).

Anyway, I'll let Jason get his thread back on track!!!!

Tobho Mott, DavidF and Jason like this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

That was fast! That works better than the bag of rice trick for 2 weeks.

18. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I only had arborio rice and figured it would give up at the first sign of trouble. ;) not sure how many smileys will get me off a ban for that comment.

We have shed loads of silica crystals at work (quite why I don't know but useful!) Maybe I should go on the silicate route in case I actually cast something again soon.

More on topic, Had a play with the colchester batham 2000 lathe today, cuts really nicely, the huge old condor mill is even more of a cutting brute. I hope the contract gets extended so I can exploit all the toys!!!

Jason likes this.
  19. Jason

Jason Gold

Love it when someone DOES what they say!

20201027_175834.jpg

20201027_182755.jpg

Peedee and Tobho Mott like this.
  20. Peedee

Peedee Silver

That kind of service is a rarity these days!

Jason likes this.