Anyone hear use jet fuel in their furnace?

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by Ironsides, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

I watched this video and it shows that jet fuel gives far more thrust than diesel does. So does that mean if I use jet fuel in my furnace, will it get so hot that it will melt my crucible and furnace refractories? Jet fuel thrust stats at 6:57 diesel fuel stats at 9:52.

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I want one!! :cool:

3. He most likely got those results because the fuel system was optimized for spraying jet fuel. I looked it up once and the energy content was pretty much the same with diesel being more viscous.

Diesel: 45.3 Megajoules per kilogram
    Jet A1: 43.3 Megajoules per kilogram

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I’ve used it for a couple melts. Essentially identical to diesel.

Denis

John Homer likes this.
  5. I get more heat from waste motor oil than I do from diesel, then less from kerosene (Jet A), and less yet from gasoline. But I have a drip burner and can shoot the air to it to get a clean burn from anything.

I'm sure the video was a viscosity based effect, same as Mark said.

John Homer likes this.
  6. dennis

dennis Silver

I believe Jason uses "sumped" jet fuel when he runs bronze.

(At least he does not soak day old bread in it. "Gun Street Girl," Tom Waits)

Jason likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

Seriously? I thought you knew I've been burning it from the beginning? I even quit using used motor oil and run only Jet-A. I get all I can carry off for free so that's a big incentive for me.
    Jet-A vs Diesel may be almost identical, but the smell of the Jet-A burning is oh so nice! It smells a little better than diesel in liquid. But not by much.

8. dennis

dennis Silver

I wrote what I did from the standpoint of a memory that isn't completely reliable due to age. I was more or less certain jet fuel was what you preferred to use - as well as how you commonly got it - but did not wish to be named an (inadvertent) liar.

Then again, I use charcoal lighter as a parts cleaner. I suspect it's a similar material - and I'm saving the used stuff to one day go in a furnace fuel tank.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

That was to ironsides. Sorry about that Dennis. You replied half a second before I did.;)

That engine reminds me of the old piper aerostar that people convert to jet. Always wanted to fly one of these! Talk about cool.

Originally a twin piston prop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  10. This is as close I get to that engine :oops::rolleyes: and yes that is Jet A1 being burnt:

rotor blast.png

Tobho Mott, dennis and Jason like this.
  11. dennis

dennis Silver

Repurposing a deceased brake rotor, I see.

Now that's some recycling!

Jet fuel can melt some stuff, all right.

12. I was just preheating it for the pot and it formed a thrust diverter :D.

13. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

JetA has 119000 BTU/gal vs diesel’s 139000 BTU /gal. So, clearly the is more heat in a gallon of diesel. Actually seeing a noticeable performance difference in melt times in my furnace setup would take some careful comparison work. I can tune my furnace to just see a slight difference in exhaust flame appearance at .19 vs .18 L/min. That slight variation is about the difference in heat contents. I suspect if I could make ten melts with the same ambient air temp, wind speed, and barometric pressure with diesel vs JetA I could see a difference. But, in my world those environmental variables are all over the place making fine distinctions tough. Mostly, if I am occasionally lucky enough to be given some JetA, I dump it into the fuel tank and fire up the burner while playing “Top Gun” at full volume! ;-)

Denis

14. dennis

dennis Silver

Blend "furnace fuel" out of "whatever you have," keeping an eye upon the ambient temperature and how finicky your setup is?

That's currently what I'm thinking to do. Want a few (yellow) 5 gallon diesel jugs to put it in - while making certain at least 2 gallons of diesel goes in each jug before anything else. Does that sound OK?

15. You know you have a serious foundry habit when you study the F14 afterburner for visual cues on how to tune your furnace mixture :D.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Jimmymmm likes this.
  16. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

God I loved that aircraft. We had a lot of equipment on it. Variable wing geometry, speed, legs, payload, armaments, and being carrier based....rugged. Ashamed to see it retired.

Best,
    Kelly

17. There's an excellent detailed interview with the Northrop Grumman VP about the design of the F14 made by a California senior's group of all things, well worth watching:

18. Jason

Jason Gold

It was a maintenance PIG! Just like it's cousin the F15. Both required tons of man hours for a single hr in the air.

19. Could be worse, could have been an F-111.

20. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Since we're on a jet kick ( when we should be casting or making patterns)
    I like the A-10 warthog. Might be slow and ugly, but it can sure make a mess of things when you need it to...

boroko likes this.