I think something is following me

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Oct 15, 2021.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Can you guess what it is?
    20211015_173107.jpg SmartSelect_20211015-203043_Gallery.jpg

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Horizontal mill??

3. GTS225

GTS225 Silver

Kind of a poor pic.
    Is that an Egyptian Pharaoh on a gilded, covered surrey? Maybe a parade float?

Maybe it is a mill, and that's just the way the sun is hitting it.

Roger

4. DavidF

Compliments of trainman4602....
    20211016_113848.jpg

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Planning any updates to the controls or sticking with the originals?

Best,
    Kelly

6. DavidF

Ugg, serious thought
    consolidation required..
    At this time, I would say.... get it running, find it a job, don't go broke buying tooling......
    It's a production machine... ain't good for one offs...
    Will probably just take up space unless I get off my ass....:confused:

7. BattyZ

BattyZ Silver Banner Member

This gets my vote!

Dynomotion has products that would suit a retrofit very well. However, getting it to work would require some C++ programming and be very involved I imagine.

Nice grab though! "Running when parked?"

8. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Help me out here (forgive my ignorance). Turret lathe?

9. DavidF

10. DavidF

Having an issue with the back Y axis that needs sorted out....

11. DavidF

12. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

David, here is an interesting relevant post from Practicalmachinist (where I am sure you would get all you questions answered should you take a deep dive to rehab this nice old lathe) from a guy who ran them. This is one of several posts.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/hardinge-ahc-automatic-retrofittable-241406/

“I had two of these AHC running in our shop for several years. The machines are very accurate and repeatable on length +-.0005 and diameter+-.0002 or better in some cases.

They are limited in the way they work though. Both axis are driven by hydraulic cylinders that feed to hard stops. There is only one stop per axis on each of the 6 stations so you will only have one cut diameter or one length per station. Part of each x axis move can be in rapid and part in feed by adjusting the limit switch trip dogs. The machine also has a peck drilling cycle.

Each station has independently adjustable dwell time at the stop points by separate potentiometer controlled timed relays. Each station also has x axis feed rate controls by adjusting small hydraulic valves. y axis feed is also adjustable by small valves.

Hydraulic overhead cutoff slides are on most and automatic single point threading attachments and taper attachments are on some machines.

The spindle drive was a high/low electric clutch range selectable by trip cam and also a high/low speed in each range by hydraulic vari drive pulley selectable by trip cam. You could have 4 spindle speeds available per part but only 1 speed per station.

These machines were part of the Hardinge super precision line and if you knew how to use one and it was working right it could turn out some real nice work. They have a 5c built in spindle that is really rigid and the collet closer was either a hydraulic actuated mechanical or a variable grip pnuematic.

With a good setup using indexable tooling you could run for days without issues, just clicking away dropping money down the part chute. If you had one that was not working right it could be a electrical and hydraulic nightmare with pneumatic irritation thrown in too .

They are production machines, not meant for single piece jobs, and I don't see how you could use one for single piece since there were no graduated dials on the machine. The stops were all adjusted by referring to dial indicators on built in brackets. Setup can be tedious and time consuming and you need to plan out the cutting cycles to be sure you can get it done in six stations worth of tools. Also as the hydraulic fluid warms up and gets thinner the feed rates increase, not a big deal in summer but they start up slow and cold in the winter so you have to tinker with them until they warm up.

I couldn't believe the one on ebay sold for that much. I couldn't sell or trade off the two I had and they worked perfectly, they were just slow compared to the cnc stuff. I was down to $500 each for a year with no takers so I ended up parting them out for the hydraulics and head stocks and scrapping the iron.

If your relay logic electrical skills are weak I would not suggest getting one of these. If you do get one electrical diagrams and manuals are a necessity.”

Denis

DavidF likes this.
  13. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Thanks.

14. DavidF

Trying to find a 10 hp 3ph 1750rpm motor to build a phase converter to try this sucker out.
    Not having much luck....

15. DavidF

Maybe even a 20 hp...

16. BattyZ

17. DavidF

18. BattyZ

If you can find a 20 hp....I think you would be right. Lol I purchased the whole kit but was able to resell the whole kit for 100 less than I paid, 6 months later. I may have been fortunate though. Either way it will be fun to see it power up!

19. DavidF

Maybe, or I might go crazy trying to figure out
    "Why the hell is it not working" "now wtf, why did it do that" "come on man" " you gotta be sitting me" and so on.... lol
    I'm ready, bring it! ;) :p

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Melterskelter likes this.