Lost wax Rose Production

Discussion in 'Investment casting Ceramic shell method' started by Jason, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Figures... a few people saw this rose and wanted one. So I'm doing a small run of just 10 and then I'm outta the rose business. Most will head to the florida jewelry shop. Hope I can shift them by v-day. Personally, I hate production work like this. After the first one, the thrill is gone. :oops:
    New GP put to work around the 6 minute mark. Much better video quality I think.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

good progress today..
    20180204_162726.jpg

20180204_171613.jpg

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks like they all came out looking great, congrats! So, you have 10 identical roses and a big book of patinas... Gonna stick with what you know and make them all liver of sulfur brown so they're sure to be ready for Valentine's, or will you maybe try something new? Definitely not knocking that beautiful brown; I'm just curious...

Jeff

4. OCD

OCD Silver

Good job Jason.

Next time, I think your should do a reverse mold and cast so you can weld 2 halves together to make 1 full rose.

Where's the video of the fire and brimstone?

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks guys... I gotta to be a one trick pony on these... LoS patina. The video is in work, but first I GOTTA get these things out the door and off to the jewelry shop. V-day is coming and I'd like to move them quickly. I got 6 of them chased last night and hope to get to the patina stuff tonight. I saw some of the footage and the GP really did a bang up job. Now it's up to me to clip hours and hours of scenes together..... Back to work I go.

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Oh no, your not getting off the hook that easily. No Los this time!!
    This time you have to polish the petals to a mirror shine and put a green patina on the stems and leaves. ;):)

7. OCD

OCD Silver

Yeah Jason, NO SLACKING!!!

8. Tobho Mott

Makes sense with the short timeframe involved. I do like David's idea though!

Jeff

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Little snafu... Part 2 is posted and the mold is destroyed.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  10. Did you mean to destroy the mold? was it an accident or some kind of limited edition run of castings?.

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Limited edition. Only 10. I'm outta the rose business for good.

12. Well so long as you signed them for when you become famous (assuming that's not already the case!;)). Personally I'll signing everything in sight on the off chance I ever get famous:rolleyes: . I was talking to a restoration expert a while back about my reproduction brass plates: His advise was to sign and date them on the back with a scriber so that they weren't mistaken for genuine items.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  13. Tobho Mott

Ten for ten, nice! Good work on the patina too, they ought to move well when you get them into the store.

Jeff

14. Jason

Jason Gold

I don't know if I signed them correctly... So I did the 1/10 and so on with my initials. I priced those things at a hundred a piece. If all 10 sell, I'll make about 9bucks an hour for all the labor involved. Not worth doing it at all really. Those artists that do bronze for a living must be starving. Imagine if I would have dropped off the original and said I'll pick them up in a month at a professional foundry? Small pieces are simply not worth the time and money.

Mark's castings likes this.
  15. OCD

OCD Silver

About like the neighbor next door,
    Yeah THAT one, who wants me to cast a 3D angle for him for $20. Lolololololololol

I figured up the true cost to even think about casting something like that and I came to $80 and I guarantee I missed something in those calculations.

And that doesn’t even begin to take into account the amount of time it would take from start to finish.

They just have NO CLUE.

I tell ya, some people.

When he asked, which he hasn’t spoken to me in about 7 months up until he wanted something,
    I flat out told him to go to Wallyworld if he wanted a angle for his wife. :D

16. Angle??... Angel?? for a second there I was imagining his wife wanted some cast iron angle plates for her Bridgeport milling machine. o_O:p

17. OCD

OCD Silver

Fricken spell check on my damn IPhone. Grrrrr

That thing will having you say all kinds of messed up stuff if you don't proof read.

Mark's castings likes this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

Here we go! Show time! Fingers crossed these go down the road.
    rose.jpg

frame.jpg

Red97 and Mark's castings like this.
  19. Tobho Mott

Some lucky ladies out there are gonna have a happy VD. :D

Jeff

20. Jason

Jason Gold

FINALLY sold my first rose! It's sold on etsy and is leaving for the UK today! My step mother WAS going to buy 2 of them, when I told her that I actually wanted to get paid for them, she grew strangely quiet. Hmmmm. WTF? :rolleyes: