Tobho's HT1-Inspired Cement Mixer Muller Build

Discussion in 'Sand Mullers' started by Tobho Mott, Mar 22, 2018.

1. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I bought e-stop pushbuttons for my lathe and mill, but have not installed them yet, but definitely need to do that.

The belt on the lathe is not very tight, and it has some oil on it too, so that saved me in the early days with I was trying to learn how to machine and would jam the work up and stop the chuck (on the lathe).

I have seen a couple of mullers self-destruct when jammed by a piece of stray cast metal.
    Some use a spring-loaded clutch mechanism; some use a shear pin.
    I still like the idea of a belt that is tight enough to run the load, but not so tight that it can't slip if the load jams.

The build is looking good.
    I need to finish my muller.

2. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

That's such a wishy washy way of doing things though. I mean if you have a low torque application then ya I guess you could get away with something like that, but it would have to be a flat belt arrangement.

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I agree, it is very iffy, but it has saved my ass a number of times.
    Not exactly an admirable and refined design, but I throw it out because it could have potentially saved several mullers that I have seen in videos that self-destruct in front of the owner's eyes due to a lack of anything to save the situation in case of a jam.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

The first incarnation of my Von Torne muller folded in half right before my eyes by a pea sized piece of aluminum. I've never gotten the leak in the gearbox to totally stop since then either. I doubled down and went with an aluminum shear pin and a loose belt. I've since made greater efforts in various ways to keep tramp metal out, but the loose belt does a good job. It is undoubtedly a low torque application though. My larger muller has a shaft coupling with a cone shaped insert that allows for slip adjustment. I'll post a picture if you're interested.

Pete

5. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Interested if it is not too much trouble. I am always interested in seeing uncommon engineering solutions. You never know when that solution may be useful.

6. Petee716

Sorry I didn't describe it accurately. It's a taper lock shaft collar. It secures the drive gear on the shaft. Also my original photo is gone and photobucket is holding my stuff hostage but this video shows it perfectly.

Pete

7. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Oh, yes, I have used those tapered bushes for securing pulleys etc. They are surprisingly economical considering how well made they are. They are a very secure and precise method. I had not thought of them as a means of providing for a breakaway slip connector but more of an absolutely positive locking and very concentric pulley connection. Thanks for the clarification, Pete.

8. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Someone posted a small slip clutch one time, and I lost track of it.
    Maybe some variation of one like the one below. Some of the springs could be removed if necessary.
    I am sure a smaller one is made.
    And they are not that expensive either.
    https://www.agrisupply.com/gr1-slip...MIxq6kseez2gIVTiBPCh0E2giYEAEYASAAEgLO1fD_BwE

I have also considered a limit switch on the motor support, such that if the motor starts to over-torque, it rotates the support frame slightly away from the microswitch and stops the motor.
    The motor support would be spring-loaded.

Edit:
    I remember someone had something similar to this, with two of these plates being spring loaded.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slip-Clutc...511154?hash=item1edb7e5f72:g:ZC0AAOSw3dtaq-ev

Edit02:
    There is a ton of slip-clutch info on AA for mullers, and all of it appears to have the been photonuked, so basically usless.

Edit03:
    You could also have a spring-loaded motor mount, and the spring releases if the motor over-torques, thus taking the tension off the belt (assuming you are running a belt on the motor).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  9. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It's alive!

[​IMG]

:D

Still lots of work to do, but the wheel seems to be working.

Jeff

Melterskelter likes this.
  10. Petee716

It's been a few years since I monkeyed with the mullers chain and gears. That's the only time I've ever seen that type of setup so my memory of it was a little foggy. What I did remember which relates to the discussion is that I'd adjusted the screws on it so I am able to turn my drum by hand (my muller is a 36" rotating drum with fixed wheel and plows) against the force of the gearbox with the motor off. The bushing in question is located on the final shaft. My estimate of how much torque is actually involved may not be accurate, but I think it is a reasonable strategy. To my knowledge the bushing has never slipped. If it moved frequently, especially under power, I would see it as being a real problem in terms of alignment and shaft damage, but so far I've not seen any movement even with as much as 70lbs of sand in there. What has probably saved me from tramp metal in the sand is that my plows have clearance between the bottom and sides. Also if I've had a runout, messy pour, etc, I do my shakeout into a washtub instead of directly into the muller.

Pete

11. Really cool!! Are you pushing the wheel instead of pulling it? And is the wheel free to swivel?

Interesting. Seems like they said the Simpson mullers had a stop so the wheels did not touch the bottom. That makes sense to leave a little gap if you're going to mash and mix rather than grind the sand. Does you wheel ride on the bottom?

12. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Another reason the Simpson has a limit stop on the wheel is because there the dump gate is in the floor of the mixer and it would fall into that without the stop. The concrete mixers pivot and dump off the side wall.

Best,
    Kelly

13. Tobho Mott

I guess you could say it is pushing the wheel, it's really the floor that's moving. It kind of just worked out that way. The wheel can swing upon a hinge, it'll run over a stick without self destructing. But it won't swivel.

Jeff

14. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

It was BobS... Well it was BobS's design that insprired mine anyway.

Ya, Bob's pics are gone. I uploaded mine to AA because I still haven't bothered hosting my stuff somewhere else.

15. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Congrats Jeff... Good stuff.

So as it stands the wheel is free to ride on the floor and a hinge is the attachment means to the fixed framework of the muller..? In actual use are you just counting on the weight of the wheel to mull the sand or will there be some kind of additional loading, (weights or springs)...?

16. Tobho Mott

Yeah there will be a spring pulling the wheel downwards, though it is not yet installed.

Bob's pix can probably still be accessed on the PB site, but its annoying to have to grab the url from the broken pix in his posts and then give PB views on their ads. I put the .gif above on imgur using their hosting app as I've hit my upload cap on AA again, seems to work ok so far but I've found I can't find the bbcode links in the app, I've been grabbing them off the imgur website instead. I am trying to only use it minimally due to photobucket hostage crisis shellshock, I don't want to lose too much if these guys decide to pull the same stunt one day...

Jeff

17. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I did the PB link chase down with Bob's muller build thread. Only managed to recover a couple of images.

I hear you on the PB PTSD... I have an Amazon prime account so I could use their photo hosting service, but I'm always on the fence on whether I want to maintain that service.

18. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Brother, The most important thing is to get the plow arrangement so the sand goes under the wheel, if you go re read my posts on AA you will note I was getting more mulling action from sand squeezibng against the side of the whheel and the side of the muller, something you will not get with that wheel

V/r HT1

19. Tobho Mott

Thanks for the feedback HT1. I do remember reading that, I even looked around a little (though not super hard) for a wheel more like yours before finding this one on sale.

Hoping this'll still work ok if I get the plows right... Wouldn't be impossible to move the wheel out a bit more closer to the outer edge and/or look harder and switch out the wheel, if you think that/those would be beneficial.

I saw many diy mullers that don't scrub the sand against the sides like your wheel does and yet seemed to work well... but most of the guys who built those don't have your familiarity with commercial made mullers as far as I know, so it's hard to know HOW well they really do work from just watching some videos and reading old forum posts...

If this wheel is doomed to be a disappointment, that would be good to know... before it gets to that point!

Thanks again,

Jeff

20. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I tend to think that the exact specifics of a muller are not that critical.
    I think as long as it turns around, mashes the sand, and turns it over with a plough, then it is going to work ok.
    If it takes a minute longer than a commercial muller, then so what, it still mulled the sand.
    I have seen a variety of styles/methods that worked well.

J.Vibert and Melterskelter like this.