Protecting high gloss bronze finish?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Has anyone come across a way to protect a highly polished bronze surface? What kind of wax/lacquer/etc is used to keep a high shine finish looking shiny and polished?

2. These G clamps and sash clamps were passivated, I'll ask the guy who made them what alloy it is: I think it was propellor bronze rather than brass. These were made in the early 1980's so are about 35 years old since they were passivated in a mix of sulphuric and nitric acid. The G clamp on the far left is not passivated but is the same age as the passivated ones and all have been used for pattern making on a regular basis and handled.

passivated 1.jpg

passivated 2.jpg

3. Artopsy

Artopsy Copper

There is a product called incralac that is an acrylic based laquer used for copper based alloys (if i remember correctly it was developed for the US military for coating shell casings). You can get it in rattle cans or 'loose'. If you use a spray gun thin it down up to 50% with xylene for an even surface finish. Ive had totally fine results with a rattle can when i cant be bothered dragging the sprayer out. Better to apply on a warm surface (not hot!) to avoid trapping any moisture under the laquer. Up to 5 thin coats for outside bronzes or 3 for inside.
    You may notice the finish is a bit too glossy, making Art bronzes look fake or tacky. After the laquer has totally cured apply a coat of your usual wax and buff as normal. This will make it look more arty bronzy if thats the look youre after. Less blingy and more subtle. Also gives an extra layer of durability to the coating.
    J

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

Mark's castings and Robert like this.
  5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

That's how I want my pieces to look. Problem is that guy didn't elaborate on what his process was for polishing and sealing it.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

That's Paul, shoot him an email. He's talked to me many times and lives just an hr or so away. Nice guy. He'll tell you. Tell him Jason says hi.

7. cactusdreams

cactusdreams Copper Banner Member

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I bought some. Will let you all know how the Mohawk Lacquer turns out. I am excited if it works half as well as you say. Keeping bronze shiny is basically impossible in my experience.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

And that's why I refuse to polish the stuff. Corrosion is natures way of protecting the metal. Aluminium is FAMOUS for this. Polish it and watch it lose it's shine over time. That is what actually protects the metal underneath. My dad had a new sailboat back in the 1980's and the port holes where bronze. They were green in a year. I told him we should clean them up and after he finished laughing at me, he taught me it's not worth it and they look better green. 20 years later, they looked perfect for the boat.

10. Oxide

Oxide Lead

This may not be what your after but this will give you a hard high gloss finish which is probably not practical for a tool etc, i recently used on a plaque
    [​IMG]

11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

In the past I tried using a clear spray from the hardware store. It works ok as long as the piece isn't bumped against anything. If it gets a bump the coating chips off and the bronze tarnishes under that spot. I need something durable that won't chip and will adhere strongly to the bronze.

12. Oxide

Oxide Lead

IMG_20180415_123943360.jpg Diamond finish is as the tin says rock hard. I gave my plaque a few coats