Happiness is.......

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Al2O3, May 24, 2018.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Lancaster foundry supply in Pennsylvania sells everdur for 4 to 4.50 a lb. Just in case you're ever out that way.

Jason likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks man. We don't make it to the north east too often. Calli to florida and all points in between. I go through so little that a buck or two a pound wont make any difference. Industrial gave me cert papers for this CMX stuff. Nice touch.

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Looks like a pile of gold lol. Papers are a nice touch.

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Is that everdur, Jason? I know it is a silicon bronze... Asking because mine looks a bit redder than that; Sculpture Supply Canada in Toronto sells this as everdur:

everduringots.jpg

Maybe it's just the lighting? I know Talespinner over on AA ended up getting a different type of silicon bronze (herculoy) that he's been using to cast sculpting armatures for his pewter gaming miniatures. I don't think I will ever get used to the idea that he is using bronze lost wax casting as a patternmaking step for spin-cast pewter castings that sell for less than $10!

Anyhow, guess I'll play too while I'm here...

All but a handful of this wheelium from the stack melter is gone now:

nuggets.jpg

But I still have all these leftover ingots and scrap castings from those pours, and half a dozen or so wheels I haven't broken down yet... plus a couple more ingots and sprues from the muller clamps and house number plaque pours:

ingots.jpg

(that's C954 aluminum bronze ingot and gating from the last axe head pour on the right)

Lastly, to me, this is also happiness:

pouring_albrz3.jpg

:D

Jeff

dennis and Jason like this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

Silicon bronze/ everdure... tomatoe/tomatoe. My stuff should be the same as yours. You have the cmx raised section on top?

yeah florescent lights suck.

6. Happiness to me is finding scrap I can use. It looks like I may be able to get brass/bronze water meters for $1.75 per pound. Any comments on them?

7. The oxy acetylene gas bottles have nice red brass valve bodies with a nasty polymer seal that causes "polymer fever" or "teflon flu" when melted down. At higher temps it will cause lung injury, so if there's any polymer seals inside be careful.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. Thanks for that reminder. I've got an oxygen bottle to scrap and was going to melt the valve. I've started bandsawing through valves and such to get the seats, packing, etc. out before melting. It's a lot quicker than disassembly of old stuck stuff. Once I started on lost foam and then on brass I'm wearing a respirator as well, it's nice not having to avoid the smoke and hold your breath.

Mark's castings likes this.
  9. This makes me feel wealthy.

IMG_3738.JPG

3" channel for buckets. 1-1/2 pound bricks.

Jason likes this.
  10. Are the number fours better than the number 1's?.:D

11. Hmmm, I don't know why I numbered them. Just seemed like the thing to do. :rolleyes:

12. Peedee

Peedee Silver

If your working to ISO9001 then the numbers would be for your QA department to indentify a fault in the problem cavity to isolate the problem mould ;)

13. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Happiness also is a good horizontal band saw to resize ingot. 15-20 seconds per cut!

Ingot on Saw.JPG

Before I was done I ended up with two 5 gallon buckets of chunks small enough to fit in an A10, which amounted to about 125lbs of the 500lb.

Resized Ingot.JPG

Oughta keep me going for a while. Bring on the weekend.

Best,
    Kelly

oldironfarmer likes this.
  14. A DoAll, no less.:cool:

15. Al2O3

The quality of machinery at my business is different than that in my home shop.....but so are the tasks and duty cycle.

Best,
    K

16. joe yard

joe yard Silver

A very nice looking saw Kelly.
    Joe

17. Al2O3

.....Happiness is another 750lb of A356 ingot plus a box of Sr and TiB master alloy cut rod.

Ingot and Master Alloy.jpg

Best,
    Kelly

Tobho Mott likes this.
  18. Lou

Lou Copper

That stuff is a joy to melt. I'd be happy too!

Having a big horizontal bandsaw sure is nice. Most of the crap we have to cut at work would need one helluva bandsaw (all work hardening inconels) so we plasma it and pickle.

19. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Happiness is pulling the carpet out of a 64 year old car and finding that the floor pans are in great shape!!!
    ( my morning adventure)

Mister ED, Jason and Al Puddle like this.
  20. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

It's gotta be nice to see days or weeks or even months (depending on how much time you have) trimmed off a job! Plus the added satisfaction in it being original.

Pete