From the Garage of Danger

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Hopefuldave, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Hello all, checking in!

I haven't done any casting for Some Years, but have a couple of projects comung up that will need cast parts, some quite large...

I've accumulated most of the materials for an oil drum furnace thanks to the World's Best Skip and car boot sales: 55 gallon drum, enough dense refractory firebrick to line it and insulating firebrick to retain the heat, bouncy castle blower and 4" stainless pipe for the tuyere, stainless pipe and fittings for an atomisimg waste-oil burner (free oil from a mechanic friend!), what I lack is time to put it all together!

I have Useful Tools in the GoD, Holbrook toolroom lathe, Test 2U universal mill, TIG welder etc. and my main focus is motorbikes, as is housemate's but he keeps bringing home trophies (club circuit racing) while I bring home blown engines (run what you brung drag racing)...

When not mangling metal in many ways I'm a techie delivering accurate time to sites in the UK and Europe or playing guitar very badly :)

I'm on a few other fora, try to learn where I can, help when I can...

Dave H. (the other one)

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Dave. Looking forward to your furnace build thread and some cast motorcycle parts to follow.

Best,
    Kelly

3. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Welcome!
    It sounds like it will be a nice sized furnace. Post lots of pictures.
    Joe

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Welcome Dave. Sounds like a nice furnace you're getting ready to build!

"Garage of Danger", I like it. Stay safe...

Jeff

5. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the forum Dave.
    Sounds like you are going to be casting up some bike parts?

6. That's the plan, first off a fork brace to replace the flimsy one standard on my VMax, followed by rearset footrest hangers, then assorted parts for a supercharger drive (yes, I AM daft as a brush...)

Dave H. (the other one)

7. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Super charging a VMax?, I like your style. (I'm assuming no corners are involved!!)

8. After some mods (17" wheels, modern tyres, frame stiffeners) it actually handles like...
    Um...
    A tea trolley?
    A bit of intestinal fortitude, brute force and ignorance gets it to surprise other riders though, up to the point where the footpegs start leaving sparks :)

Dave H. (the other one)

9. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I remember (just about) reading the rider test report on the VMax when it was first released.... handling wasn't really up there but the fake air scoops nailed it. Was it a 16" front then, my hornet was and tyre choice was limited.

Anyway, back to the casting-esque nature of the thread.. photos or it didn't happen :)

10. 18" front, 15" rear with sidewalls about a foot tall, of course it didn't handle! CNV00010.JPG

But with the 17s and frame braces... Still not exactly agile, but...

Dave H. (the other one)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Blimey, I've just looked at a stock photo, the standard rear looks like a tractor tyre! Has anyone tried forced induction on one of those lumps? Definately start threads with your castings, I for one will be watching