1935 Chevy Motor Mounts

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by oldironfarmer, Oct 2, 2018.

1. I have a 1935 Chevy with a 350 engine. The transmission went out so I'm replacing it.

IMG_4154.JPG

IMG_4159.JPG

Pulled the grill and radiator to pull the engine and transmission together.

IMG_4175.JPG

The existing motor mounts did not fail but left a lot to be desired. Holes were egged.

IMG_4198.JPG

I designed foam mounts, here's a lineup shot.

IMG_4286.JPG

Glued and test fit.

IMG_4289.JPG

Joints waxed and coated with sheetrock mud.

IMG_4291.JPG

In the bucket, getting filled with sand.
    IMG_4293.JPG

Cleaned up, drilled, and ready to go.

IMG_4304.JPG

I didn't account for shrinkage, and there was practically none on the height. If it cools from the bottom up and continues to take metal maybe it doens't shrink much.
    IMG_4300.JPG

Re marked the ends of the cylinders for engine bolts and drilled hole from center punch front to center punch back. Used a lineup pin

IMG_4301.JPG

And aligned it with the drill bit then sat the center punch on the pin.

IMG_4303.JPG

The mounting bolts are pretty parallel even though the cylinders aren't.
    IMG_4306.JPG

Jason, Rtsquirrel and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Those look good Andy. Was the metal alloy known and any post treatment or as cast? Did I spy a third pattern (maybe accessory mount of some sort) not discussed :)

Best,
    Kelly

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That is some nice looking foam work, and the parts look like they turned out well.

4. Thanks! The metal was ingots I cast from previously cast engine parts and other castings, but primarily engine parts. I pulled them out of the sand as soon as I could without hot tearing and sprayed with water. They drill like a dream.

I had failed pouring a trivet some months back using cast material. I poured to cold and was concerned about these pours. I had a lot of work making and fititng the patterns and did not want to fail so the third pattern was just some scrap I picked up to make a test piece. When it came out complete I went ahead and cast the real patterns, without failure.

Thanks! I'm learning more every pour, especially with foam patterns. One mistake on this pour were areas with too much wax. It does not burn out as well as foam and crated some shallow voids. They're shallow and can stay but unsightly.

5. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

6. Thanks for the link, some interesting stuff.

I have urethane motor mounts so I have to install a heat shield but I was unaware of the low temperatures aluminum can be affected so I'll make sure my heat shield is large enough to protect the motor mount brackets too.

Thanks again!

7. I filed and etched the test piece I poured to check for porosity. I was a little surprised.

IMG_4312.JPG

The lye turns the aluminum black so the pits show out, and also the file marks from aluminum stuck in the file. This piece looked clean before etching.

8. Al2O3

What kind of wax are you using OIF, and how are you applying it?

Best,
    Kelly

9. I've been using half and half toilet ring wax and paraffin. Applying it hot with a small brush. It seals the seals very nicely.

10. Al2O3

The reason I ask, as you may have previously read, I use Freeman fillet wax and that stuff is great to apply with heated fillet tools and has been burning out without a trace on my lost foam castings. In fact, when I put a torch to the stuff, I cant get it to light....it just vaporizes which may be why it works so well for detailing lost foam patterns. I'm not certain what you consider a lot of wax, but the fillet and embossment work on my water necks and manifolds I'd consider to be a lot of wax. I've discussed it here several times and if you search wax fillet, you'll get a few hits.

Best,
    Kelly

11. Thanks! I was hoping you'd elaborate.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Nice work and elegant design. Should work fine.

13. Thanks! Engine is in and it all seems to fit well.

IMG_4365.JPG

Heat shield was pretty simple.

IMG_4412.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

Rtsquirrel likes this.