Swimming pool????

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Yahtzee! Found a local shop yesterday and was floored with what I found! These guys do tons of stainless tanks, range hoods and kitchen stuff. When I asked if they could bend 10ft sheets of 1/8" the guy said he can bend up to 14ft if I need it! Sounds like he's bending the U at the top of my walls! That will save me about 140ft of welding and will be worth every penny he charges. His recommendation for the welding is solid core mig with trimix gas, welded only on the back of the floor and walls. Most of which is butt joints. Then he believes on the visible side of the joints, just run over them with the tig torch with no filler. Complete autogenous welding on both sides is out and we both agreed could be asking for trouble. This guy has an enormous plasma table which will probably be helpful too. Finding this local guy is going to help me big time! And I thought I was going to have to weld stairs? He can just bend them for me outta 1/8" in less than an hr! No he had never heard of or seen a SS pool, but said he thought about it for his house as he needs a pool too for the wife. After spending an hr explaining the virtues of SS over conventional methods, he's a believer and on board with my nightmare! Best part, he said skip the 5k welder, it's not needed. There is needs and wants, I need the PP200, but want the 300. Saving 3grand will buy the equipment to keep this thing clean. Any of you welders may have seen this video. I sent this guy 6 coupons and a bunch of filler wire. I'm hoping he will demo laywire in the future.

Interactive TV is pretty cool. :D

2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Sounds like you just saved yourself a bundle of cash and effort, well done!

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  3. Having a local fab shop is going to make life so much easier, it'll be like assembling a kit by comparison.

Jason likes this.
  4. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I refer you to post #16 :p ............Nice job finding someone local and willing to talk, now start drawing it up.

Jason likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

Seriously boring crap here, but useful in my situation. Electrical bonding.

6. Local fab shop is a great deal. Sounds like good welding plan too. Now if you can convince him to fab up a sample for you before he plunges in to build one for himself...

Jason likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

With one of these, I could sit on my ass, drink beer and watch it do the work!:p

8. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

You have time. That Auto mig is just some Linear rails a lead screw, stepper motor and driver. Diver can be a Arduino and a rotary encoder. That'a like a weekend build! a day for the metal bits and a day of stealing bits of code from 15 different websites (don't judge me on how I code :) )

9. Jason

Jason Gold

10. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

You could probably use a nema 17 stepper motor with a 5:1 gear box on it. They are very torquey especially when you are basically just tightening a screw. After all, your only moving the mig torch not the whole pool, but if you do want to move the pool I'm sure that 3/4 - 10 all thread you picked out would do it! ;)

11. I think I'd design a cable drive.

12. DavidF

Was just thinking about the same thing...
    GT2 timing belt and some V slot liner rail would do the trick nicely.
    Openbuilds.com is your friend Jason

https://openbuildspartstore.com/

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

I'll check out openbuilds... Thanks guys.;)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  14. DavidF

And fair warning, those nema 17 steppers look harmless, but I have had them draw blood on more than one occasion.. LOL

Jason likes this.
  15. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

This could be converted to mig very easily. I'd also guess you could do it with tig if you're going to do lay wire or fusion welding.

Jason likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

Awesome Bruce. Thanks man! I can monkey see monkey do like a champ. Writing code and screwing with an arduino does not sound like a good time to me.

17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Can you hurry up, it's getting cold sat here in my budgie smugglers!

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Patience brother, one small step at a time. Paid off the student loan tonight! What a good feeling to have that sucker gone!!! Just in time too, it's interest rate has been climbing. ;)

Looks like the best way to proceed with the welder rig is going to be dual shield flux cored wire running standard 75/25 mig mix gas. If I were to run solid core wire, I would have to run a helium mix and that gas is 4x the cost of mig mix. And you know I'm going to go through shitloads of shielding gas. The downside to the flux cored wire is, it's not cheap either.. Figure around 360bucks for a 30lb roll. ESAB has the wire. http://www.esabna.com/us/en/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.product&productCode=411128 The dual shield will allow the welder to haul ass and the flux will chip off the weld leaving a bright and shiny weld. Faster welding also lessens the issue of "cooking" the chrome out of the stainless. I learned this secret from Pete and JD on YT does a great job demonstrating the speed which you can weld with this stuff. So, stay tuned!:D

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Step one! Lose the tree! It was a pretty nice Ash, but it's roots are creeping towards the foundation so it's gotta go.
    The guys leveled the stump at ground level. I'll start soaking with Jet-A and get the rotting process going. Hopefully, the
    backhoe can finish it off with ease in a few months. If you have a method to help rot a big stump quickly, I'm all ears please.

On a different note, I've been doing some research on how to plumb the returns to this thing. I've got the guys sorted out to do the dirty work for cutting the holes in the walls with the cnc plasma prior to back bending the tops of the walls. The trick is figuring out where to stick said returns. I caught a whiff somewhere that one way to avoid potential corrosion issues with this is to keep the water moving. This has me thinking with some valving, I can return HEATED/treated water to lower level returns jetting onto the floor. (particularly towards corners to prevent stagnation) I also will run a few upper level returns to keep surface movement towards the dual skimmers. Same for the sun shelf. I've had pool robots before and they never get those areas clean, so some clever plumbing is needed... I have 86'd main drains, don't want em, don't need em; 2 less potential leaks to deal with. If draining becomes necessary, that's why they make sump pumps.;)

20181120_165905.jpg

20181120_165915.jpg

20181120_172249.jpg

20. Peedee

Peedee Silver

My only experience was with a willow, the old boy I worked for drilled down into the stump with a load of deep 1" holes and filled them with diesel I think. Damn think still kept trying to sprout new shoots but our willow is pretty determined stuff. Anyone tried these phosphate (?) based stump treatments.