Lost wax casting a emblem

Discussion in 'Investment casting Block method' started by DavidF, Aug 19, 2017.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Cool stuff; seen it before, but it's a good one, and this one showing patternmaking thru finished castings was a good choice to get things going here.

Jeff

3. DavidF

Thanks :) I had a couple people complain that i didnt show the mix, pour, vacuum of the investment. I was trying not to do the same thing over and over in my videos... This one was interesting because of the gating into the wire mesh of the back plate...

4. Tobho Mott

Can't please everyone I guess. There'll be other videos showing all that! :)

MikeH likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

Nice work David. Is the investment porous? lmao.. We hear that one at the jewelry shop all the time. We use a vacuum table and I have to say I have never seen a vac setup like yours. Very slick, low cost, portable, works great in the driveway. I want one! I've already got the pump.

Hey Jeff, if this light switch cover turns out to be too thin for ceramic shell, Do you want me to mail the silicone mold to david? lol Let's see how many miles we can put on a part!

6. Tobho Mott

Sure. If he's game, why not? Don't think we all don't realize this is just a trick to get his address so you can finally send him that butt plug though! LOL

Jeff

7. DavidF

I dont have time right now. I dont think you will have any trouble getting it to come out, this suspendaslurry seems pretty porous.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Dammit Jeff, you gave away my evil plan! And I was so close too... ;-)

9. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

Great video.
    I like that injection pot. I've not seen one in use, only static & cold.
    Do you remelt the spilled wax? On is that taboo?

10. DavidF

I don't reclaim or remelt any of my waxes. Wax is cheap, failed castings are expensive.

11. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

That was a very,very interesting video. Vacuum flask is new to me. Is the investment hot/heated when you do to the pour into it?

12. DavidF

With copper based alloys I usually pour with a flask temp of 250 C, aluminum and zinc I'll pour cold. If it's a very thin casting I will raise the temps a bit.
    Although the manufacturer of the investment says not to allow the flask temp to go below 260 C any time after firing or the investment may crack. I manage to get away with it though..

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  13. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

That is very useful to know. Thanks DavidF. I'll look into this a bit more. Is it just a partial vacuum assistance that is used say a vacuum pull from a pump like, say, like a vacuum cleaner? Or is something more sophisticated required?

14. DavidF

I've seen a guy use a vacuum cleaner..
    I'm using a 2 stage deep draw vacuum pump.
    I've also just poured without vacuum assist, just need to plan on some venting if you do. The surface finish is much better with vacuum assist though.
    Most of what I do gets sent out for chrome playing so the surface finish has to be perfect.
    Even the tiniest flaw will stick out like a sore thumb when its plated.
    20171210_134106.jpg

Mark's castings and Jimmy Cogg like this.
  15. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

I bet those vacuum flasks are pricey. I'd like to do it, but all the successes with slurry I'm seeing on here & locally at the University....
    I want to do it all.

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  16. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Just seen, I think DavidF's, video on youtube for making a vacuum flask! Looks good. I want to have a go at that.

I think it would be a useful addition.

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  17. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Thanks DavidF I really appreciate that.

18. DavidF

Lol I love to experiment, but the investment casting using the block method has been what pays the bills. I just recently started using ceramic shell for larger parts. Its lowered the material costs but the time (waiting for the shell layers to dry) kills me.
    Sand casting.... well I hate ramming the sand, and getting sand all over the place. Not to mention having to mull the sand time after time.
    I plan on using thermal setting sand for the head pattern I've been working on so maybe that's the cure. Have to wait to get moved and new shop built first though. Shop is supposed to be up in the next 45 days. Hope so I'm going through foundry withdraw... or it could be my body is running low on zinc fumes :confused:

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  20. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver