Lost wax casting a emblem

Discussion in 'Investment casting Block method' started by DavidF, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

I'm currently working out of a bag of Prestige Optima by Certus.
    Www.certus-int.com
    Needing a burnout kin & a place to keep it when not in use,

2. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

I priced the perforated flasks on fleabay, $35US + shipping. I could make the chamber. Not too sure about the flask itself.

3. joe yard

joe yard Silver

I have a question. Being ignorant on the subject.
    I have a 2 Hp blower very similar to the one pictured. This blower mover a large volume of air and produces a fair vacuum.
    I originally used it in a vacuum sorting machine but now it collects dust.
    My question is would such a blower have any use in vacuum casting?
    Joe blower.png

4. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

I'm probably not the best person to answer that. But that looks like a monster. I picture it being able to suck a bouncy house into oblivion like the place at the end of Poltergeist.
    I use this one https://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html for my vacuum chamber (investment & molding silicone). I was hoping it could do double duty for vacuum casting, if I ever stumble down that trail.

5. joe yard

joe yard Silver

The vacuum pump you listed will pull a much stronger vacuum. The one in the picture, like mine. Does not produce near as high a vacuum. It has a 2inch NPT in and out that moves a large volume of air. If you try to restrict the input with your hand. It will pull hard enough to cause moderate discomfort immediately.

Joe

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Ya need a vacuum pump that will go WAYY DOWN..... Here is the cheapy I use. https://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html
    I also suggest a plastic dome for vacuum work. Ya sit it down on a silicone mat and suck from the bottom. A plate under it with a vacuum hose fitting and a hole in the silicone mat. DONE!
    Have fun vacuum crap like pudding, styrofoam peanuts and cat turds. Hours of cheap entertainment. Never apply vacuum from one of these pumps to your hand or other body parts. *ahem:eek:
    Bad things can happen to you.;)

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  7. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

You might be able to use it to pull a vacuum on the flask to help get the mold to fill, but its very unlikely it can be used to vacuum the air out of the investment.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

I take it you are referring to joes whatever that thing is....right?

9. Jason

Jason Gold

10. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

11. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

12. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That thing is one awesome blower. We use them here for dry polymer transfer to a batch tank. Id love to get my hands on one...

13. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah I saw the insane shipping and thought I should buy 3 of these!:rolleyes: I had posted an edit. Funny it didn't take. oh well. F it.