Swimming pool????

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Just remember when you rot the stump out you'll have another ash hole.

We use Tordon RTU, $18 at Tractor Supply and it will kill it dead. You'll spend $20 in effort and frustration trying to eradicate it otherwise.

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I spy a monkey in a tree!

[​IMG]

Jason likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

I chopped up the heavy stuff and stacked it at the curb and dropped an ad on craigslist for free firewood. I said feel free to leave a 6pack of shiner bock on the doorstep. As luck would have it, a guy from a local church shows up to take the wood. I said well I guess my beer is out of the question. He knocked on the door last night at 11 with a cold 6er. Rock on!

Tobho Mott likes this.
  4. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Brush/spray the exposed inner bark with triclopyr and glyphosate, no more tree.

Edit: we removed 3 large (40"+DBH) willows earlier this year plus a smaller hickory, sent at least 20 tons out via craigslist takers.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

It's hard to grasp the weight or power of a tree until you cut it down. I have a bit of "homeowner" experience with trees, but it is fascinating to watch a real pro take one apart.

Pete

6. Peedee

Peedee Silver

A developer over here has just taken down a 200 year old redwood 'by mistake', it had a preservation order on it and the trunk must have been 10' or more wide. That's a big 'mistake' to make, hardly brush cutting. Someone is in big trouble!!

Tobho Mott likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah these boys took this thing down in about 45mins. It was impressive to watch them. I WAS going to do it to save a few bucks, but my wife, the voice of reason reminded me of what I do for a living and what an injury could co$t. She was right as usual. Now that I'm back on tree duty, I'll roundup the piss outta it this weekend. It spread some fat ass roots all around the yard. I'll drill a bunch of holes in the exposed stuff and give them a drink too. Should help it die quicker.

I can't imagine how you accidentally remove a 200yr old oak.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

The PP300's euro sister. Dammit! "Hurt's so good" comes to mind.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

2019 update! Pete Zila has a line on some new flux wire which would allow the pp200 to handle the welding. Awaiting test results and video! Wifey has given me the green light to buy whichever machine I need. :p Met this week with some AMAZING guys in Florida that run a SS pool company in Ohio. When I dropped the bomb on them I was the builder, they actually got excited and happily jumped on board. Looks like conventional pool skimmers are OUT! They talked me into running a perimeter edge and gutter system on the house side of the pool. They will supply the 20foot of gutters at a reasonable cost of $118 a foot. AND are willing to purchase all the SS at a much lower price than what I have received so far. Ironically, they said since china got whacked with tariffs, the SS they receive is no longer coming from China, it's USA made and costs almost a buck a pound cheaper than what they were getting it before! PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT! I figure they just saved me enough money to pay for the single side perimeter. Now to run a full 360 degree perimeter would cost over 10k, but would interfere with the sliding cover and the over all design. What is this perimeter I speak of? Glad you asked the question. Hang onto your socks. Vanishing edges are old hat. This is what people want.

The only downside to dumping skimmers is now an underground storage tank is req'd. The pool overflows down the front and into the gutter. The gutter drains into a tank half filled with water and the pump draws it's water from this tank. The more perimeter, the larger the tank is needed. Large perimeters have an issue with accelerated evaporation, it's a falling water thing. I doubt 20ft is enough to screw me over too much. My initial wag is 600gallon surge tank should maybe be enough. :confused: https://www.rainharvest.com/norwesco-600-gallon-below-ground-cistern-tank.asp

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Tobho Mott likes this.