PLA weight to Aluminum rule of thumb?

Discussion in 'Lost PLA casting' started by afm, Jan 17, 2019.

1. afm

afm Lead

Greetings All,
    I'm curious if anyone has come up with any sort of formula for the weight of PLA to the amount of metal (Aluminum) to melt/pour into a mold? I realize infill greatly changes things, but I've done lost wax casting, and there was a X wax = Y Metal (specific to silver)

Thoughts, and Thanks

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

chances are if your talking a pla part, then it was cad modeled. From the cad model (in most programs) they give you the volume of the part which can be converted into the weight of aluminum.

3. afm

afm Lead

They aren't cad, but STL's downloaded, from thingiverse. My first PLA project, is a chess board, one side in Aluminum, and the other in copper.

4. PatJ

PatJ Silver

A quick internet search shows that PLA is between 1.2 and 1.4 grams/cm cubed, and 356 aluminum is 2.67 grams/cm cubed, so aluminum is about twice as dense as PLA (check me on that, I just grabbed some info off the net).

But don't forget that 3D printed patterns are often not solid PLA, but rather you can vary the density of the structure to save plastic, so just weighing a printed part does not necessarily give a good comparison.

Hope this helps.
    I was wondering this just the other day.

5. afm

afm Lead

That's exactly what I meant about infill being a variable. But interesting numbers.... Thanks!

6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Maybe it would be safe to say that with 25% infill, then the part would weigh 1/4 of what the solid PLA part would weigh?
    You could print a little 1" cube both solid and with 25% infill, and weigh them both.

7. DavidF

most slicers or programs that allow you to view an stl will tell you the parts volume so you can calculate out the weight.

volumess.jpg

8. DavidF

Sounds like a cool project, welcome to the forum and please post pictures ;);)

9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That is a very nice wheel model.
    You got the rest of the loco in 3D to go with that?

10. DavidF

No, its a customer job....

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Do yourself a BIG favor and do not pour straight copper. As a casting material it SUCKS and it's not really a beginner metal. Buy some quality sil-bronze. Here is a link for ya.
    https://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/category-s/1855.htm Sil-bronze is a sweetheart metal to cast, it's easy and trouble free. You can polish the stuff and it looks like gold too!

If you have an industrial metal supply company near you, they sell it in the stores cheaper than budget and they have smaller ingots that are easier to deal with when you are first starting out.
    (California, Phoenix ect) https://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/

12. afm

afm Lead

13. I melt aluminum bronze on occasion.

IMG_4053.JPG

That's a 90/10 hammer head. It needs a cover flux like other copper alloys. I've been successful with charcoal and a little copper phosphor.

14. Jason

Jason Gold