Connecting rod for reciprocating hammer

Discussion in 'CNC machining projects' started by ESC, Jan 30, 2019.

1. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Some of the foam threads touched on CAM software for CNC machining. I machined the Indian heads either using the Mach 3 wizards or hand writing G code. I had downloaded a trial version of CAMBAM to see if I could compile G code to cut the blower vanes. That was a year ago. I got sidetracked building the Willys body and quit trying to learn to use it. GaryLucas mentioned it, so when I needed to build the hammer to form some of the body details I resurrected my trial of it and spent a couple days trying to get up to speed.
    This is the first big item.

IMG_20190129_153936.jpg

It is the connecting rod. I have never used tabs and should have for this piece. As it was I left an 1/8" of material and then finished cutting it out with the band saw.

One of the gadgets that I have used for holding the sheet metal of the body for welding is what Lazze calls an Octopus. By welding ball bearings onto the ends of rods and clamping them with a couple of sideplates and ending with a pair of vise grips the work can be positioned in an infinite number of ways. I use a magnet on the base end and knobs to tighten the plates when they are positioned. This was the first little test of the CAM program. I set up the plates and cut the outer shape and the pocket for the thru bolt.

IMG_20190112_141927.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

You been busy ESC. Are you going to post a build thread at AllMetalShaping?

Best,
    Kelly

3. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

I might. I looked around and haven't found a build thread. I don't have a feel for the vibes surrounding the design and don't want to stir up a hornets nest. I think it will be a great little machine. I shortened the throat and went to slightly lighter material since I'm shaping .024. I have a DC motor for variable speed and already have the eccentric shaft done. I want to match drill the ram guide, so it is a slight holdup. I have also been waiting for material a smaller piece of DOM and 1.5 round for the ram.
    Kelly check PM.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Dunno about the cams but I like the 3rd hand welding clamp. I started making one a while back but just never finished it. Which reminds me... I have to go finish mine :)

5. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Make it with knobs if you can. Trying to tighten an allen screw or capscrew while holding your work is a pain.

6. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I decided I was done buying palm grips and made a simple router pattern to repop them in what else?......Lost Foam.

40 Palm Grip Jig.JPG 41 Palm Grip.jpg

Best,
    Kelly

BattyZ, Tobho Mott and oldironfarmer like this.
  7. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Hey, those look just like mine. To be honest, I had forgotten I had that pattern or I would have poured my own. When I built the belt sander I cast up what I needed. Since then on occasion I have rammed them up as an afterthought in an aluminum mold. The Shop Dog will need a 4" so that pattern is also in the works. It will be a split pattern also so a matchplate might be called for.
    IMG_20190131_104000.jpg

8. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

I used the CNC mill and some Mach 3 wizards to drill the holes and then matched them in the upper arm.

IMG_20190202_174417.jpg