Glumpy burner + siphon nozzle.

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by Ironsides, Mar 12, 2019.

1. PatJ

PatJ Silver

What is that ?

2. Jason

Jason Gold

That's the natural gas burner I built running forced air. I guess you missed my forge build?
    20161027_184208.jpg photo3-300x235.jpg

oldironfarmer likes this.
  3. I missed your forge build too, nice idea.

I hate to mention this because I'll get flamed by the "don't try this at home" police, but between just me and you, you could install a gas compressor to up your pressure. They look just like air compressors :eek: but you have to make sure you take care of piston bypass leakage :eek::eek:. Conversely a fully enclosed fan could up the pressure nicely and give you a lot of flow, of course same thing with the shaft seal but there are good high pressure seals available which would work. Home natural gas is pretty benign from a corrosion standpoint.:eek::eek::eek: An air receiver would work well at under 15 psi (which gets you out of pressure vessel Code compliance operation):eek::eek::eek: :eek: But recognize that natural gas still has far less energy per cubic foot than does propane at the same pressure. :eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek: Don't try this at home :eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek:

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Not my idea, but I built this a couple of years ago. Here is a thread on the build if you are interested. This thing hits forge welding temps with ease. The low pressure is obviously a problem, but that's the WHY and the secret behind the big 2inch pipe that is as long as it is. Hint (length = 9Xdiameter) This gives enough pressurized fuel air mixture for the burner size. (something like that, been a lot of miles since then) lol http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?11974-Now-I-need-a-FORGE-What-next&highlight=forge

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I missed that thread completely.
    Nice forge and burner.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

That sucker almost cost me a FINGER! To pull this off with piddly natural gas pressure was no small task. I would be tickled pink if my furnace had a pair of these to melt metal. That will be the next build when my current furnace craps out.

7. Amazing you can reach welding temperature, that's cast iron melting temperature, you know. You might try running your air through a MIG tip to educt natural gas into your burner pipe. Suck your line pressure down (then relight your pilots later) to get more gas into the burner. I guess the key to that burner is getting a balanced air fuel mixture at the burner manifold.

8. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Al, It throws out a long powerful flame so I don't need a blower.

9. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

I had built something similar in function, that worked quite well in atmosphere, but not worth a damn inside the furnace. It was getting a lot of the needed combustion air from atmosphere, that was of course lacking once inserted into the furnace shell.

[​IMG]

Adding some extra combustion air made it a different animal all together.

Or are you planning to just point it at the tuyere rather than insert it into a furnace?

I will be very interested in your results, and may try again without the blower.

Regards,
    Al

10. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

I had a look at all three videos and the part one video, a metal shroud is close to the furnace. You must have xray vision because it is hard to see what is behind that shroud. I would guess that it is a glumpy burner and that shroud is used to protect Clarke from the intense heat.

11. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Just point at the tuyere.