Tour of Sivyer Steel Castings

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Al2O3, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I had the pleasure to tour Sivyer Steel in Bettendorf Iowa this morning. It’s a steel foundry that has been in operation at this location since 1962 and prior history in Milwaukee. Employs about 200+ people and pours steel casting up to 25,000 lbs.

https://www.sivyersteel.com/

Also, there were some photo restrictions, but I was able to get some photos of castings. I was asleep at the switch on a couple of the mold interiors. Here’s a smaller one and one have a mold wash applied.

1 Sivyer.JPG 2 Sivyer Mold wash.JPG

….and the core department.

2.1 Core room.JPG

They operate three 10 Ton Arc Furnaces. Here’s one of them. They only pour on third shift because electrical costs are much lower so no unfortunately no pouring photos.

3 Sivyer 10T Furnace.JPG

And here’s a set of electrodes for the furnaces.

4 Sivyer Electrodes.JPG

There were several bays like this full of castings from previous shifts. Cooling time to demold can vary 1 to 5 days.

5 Sivyer Poured Molds.JPG

They pig off the remaining charge to these cups for remelt.

6 Pigged Off Pours.JPG

They have several acres of scrap steel they have segregated by alloy and a full in-house metallurgical capability with spectrometers and casting analysis including ultrasonic, mag particle, and XRay up to 14”.

They use all bound chromite sand (alpha-set binder). The composition of cores and core binders can vary. They manage to reclaim about 80% of it. Here’s a shot of one of the entry points to the reclamation system.

7 Sivyer sand.JPG

This pulverizes and delivers to an underground conveyor system shown here. That is a magnetic separator hovering over the belt and it gets thermally treated to drive out old binder.

8 Sivyer Sand Reclaim.JPG

Here are a few part photos. First, a planetary gear carrier undergoing mag particle prep.

9 Mag Particle.JPG

The same part receiving a little welding rework from overzealous degating.

10 Rework.JPG

The same part rough machine for subsequent inspection steps. They do rough machine work in house but no finish machining.

11 Partial Machine.JPG

There are a couple other castings for some large mining equipment. A pulverize and an idler. Check out all those cylindrical risers on the back of the idler wheel…….how would you like to remove those?

12.JPG 13.JPG

Here’s some degating in process. They use torch, gouging rods, and oxygen lances to remove risers 12”+ in diameter.

14.JPG

Additional finishing operations

15.JPG

They have several heat treating and aging ovens on the line

16.JPG

They have 13 heat treating ovens like this one.

17.JPG

Here’s the rest of them. That first station is a variable intensity quenching system that control the rate of quench. It uses water and has an extraction system overhead that condenses cools and reclaims the water.

18.JPG

Here’s a valve body and a bunch of castings awaiting shipment.

19.JPG 20.JPG 21.JPG 22.JPG

I glossed over a bunch but pretty cool to see an operation of that scale, especially one of the most demanding casting environments such as a steel foundry.

Best,
    Kelly

Mach, Melterskelter and _Jason like this.
  2. Very cool, thanks for taking the time to post.

Don't know about a foundry, but in an oil refinery most of the restrictions on pictures is the fear of having someone photograph an unsafe activity.

So they pour steel just like cast iron? No inert blanket?

Did the crane in the heat treat furnace area have a forklift style structure on it?

3. Thanks for posting the photos, almost as good as being there, my local iron foundry won't do tours.

The castings in the last photo look a bit like treads for the Apollo and later space shuttle transporters: I had a casting industry trade magazine article about how they were cracking and failing: the originals had an invisible shrinkage void and the replacements used casting simulation software to fix the problem. Must be for tracked mining equipment.

treads.jpg
    NASA transporter.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  4. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

My dad worked at the place that built the crawler. Marion Power Shovel, they built all kinds of huge shovels and draglines for mining. They moved somewhere, probably Mexico.

Mark's castings likes this.
  5. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

Amazing pics, thanks for posting them. Must have been a blast to tour.
    Chromite sand is expensive. I remember seeing it used as a solution for certain problem castings. It can be used as a chill, and iron would not readily burn into it like silica sand so it was used in areas to prevent that

6. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

They do some military work. Those parts cannot be photographed. Due to the typical confidentiality agreements, the parts I did photograph had to be something that was already in the public domain, basically visible on the equipment on which they are used or otherwise publicly displayed. The parts I photographed were at the relatively small end of their capability range.

I really wish I could have snapped a few photos of them packing molds. They had a large mixing machine with an arm that delivered/showered catalyzed sand directly to the mold. That was expected but the mold sat on a vibration table and he mention that vibration strictly in the vertical axis only was used to compact the sand. Now bear in mind, this stout steel flask was about 12' x 4' x 2', let alone the mass of the sand that was being placed. That vibe table would have been interesting to see in action. There was a very large jib crane for picking and placing the mold.

It was pretty loud and I was wearing ear plugs. I'm sure when I asked he said chromite and alpha set binder. However, that could have just been facing sand. When I looked at the reclamation staging area there were cores and mixed varieties. They may have segregated the cores or perhaps recycled sand is only used in the bulk of the mold......dunno. I suspect achieving 80% reclamation was aspirational ;-)

I didn't see any pours but I saw the ladles and a lot of poured molds. Based upon that, yes, I'd say open air pours. I asked about pour times but the reply was "it widely varies". I was expecting some very long times. I was sonly able to see the gating on a few different parts.

I didn't see a crane in the heat treat furnace. They had slide out floors. There were a number of gantry and jib cranes over a good percentage of the factory floor work area. Nothing moves manually in this place.

The photos are mining equipment parts.....except the valve body.

Best,
    Kelly

7. Robert

Robert Silver

Very cool. Thanks for posting! Nice to see we still have some industrial capability in the states.
    Robert

8. I've got a piece of iron about 5' by 5', the guy who gave it to me said it was part of a flask. Only now do I believe him.:D

9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Very interesting photos, especially the sawn off gating points on the round part.

Thanks for taking and posting.