3D Sign Software

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by oldironfarmer, Mar 22, 2019.

1. I've seen lots of software recommendations, and the amount available is staggering. I'm currently using Fusion 360 but it is very cumbersome for text. I want to cast some 3D signs and am looking for an easy software to design and produce files for my 3D router.

My goal is to be able to type text and change fonts with the software. It doesn't really have to have draft capability as I can use a tapered cutter.

What's your recommendation?

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I use Vectric VCarve Pro. Great features, great support, great tutorials.

Pete

3. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

I use Vectric Aspire. It's great for signs, but has many other capabilities as well

4. Petee716

I just haven't had the will to dive into the 3-d capabilities of the software. So far the "2.5-D" has been about as deep as I've ventured.

5. Thanks, guys. I've been reading about those programs. Pretty fancy. And I'm afraid a little more complex than what I'm looking for. I really just want to make simple signs and plaques. It's going to take some study before making that kind of investment for something I might not use much. fusion 360 is great for a typical part design, but unless I've missed something, it's not great on text.

6. chucketn

chucketn Copper

Check out F-Engrave... Simple program for engraving, but can adapt to routers.

7. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Fusion360

8. jgro

jgro Copper

9. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

for fusion you have to "Explode" the text to be able to extrude it. Once it's extruded you can setup the cam to cut it out.
    I've ran into a few fonts that Fusion will not explode. The cumbersome nature of text has been brought up in the Autodesk forum enough that Autodesk acknowledges it's a problem and say that they are working on it.

10. dtsh

dtsh Silver

I would be surprised if the software you are using doesn't do it, but I occasionally put raised text on my models in FreeCAD. The process isn't difficult, but it's not what I would call intuitive and I suspect that it would take less time to find a workable solution in the software you're using than to learn it in another tool, but I mention it just in case someone is looking for a free alternative. Tutorial videos available on youtube for those interested.

11. I've seen lots of software recommendations, and the amount available is staggering. I'm currently using Fusion 360 but it is very cumbersome for text.

12. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Try using Inkscape to design the text then export it into your 3d cad program as a dxf file and then extrude it to your height or depth. Inkscape is free ;)
    Text is a pita especially if you need to match a font...

Wtf.. this thread is 4 years old.. who's the necromancer??

Mark's castings likes this.
  13. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It's because we have an AI-bot infestation.

Best,
    K

DavidF likes this.
  14. Petee716

Do they pay, or do they sneak in somehow?

15. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

AI-bot infestation... Do we call an exterminator, Ghostbusters, or the M.I.B.? Sky-net hasn't gone active has it?