Box Joints on a Snap Flask

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by PatJ, Apr 18, 2019.

1. PatJ

PatJ Silver

O I C

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

20190420_182652.jpg Peculiar timing...
    Look what my dad just picked up at a garage sale for a quarter..

Jason and joe yard like this.
  3. joe yard

joe yard Silver

I have been a bit scattered as far as projects and work goes lately. I did start on a new flask but have not gotten any further than the registration pins. I used the mill to drill 5/8 and ½ inch holes 8 and 10 inches apart. The 5/8 holes I epoxied .030 wall 5/8 OD ,5025 ID tubing in. I plan on using 6 X ½ inch bolts, cutting off the heads and tapering the ends just a bit on the lath then epoxying them in the ½ inch holes.
    After looking at and greatly admiring Pat’s work as to how he sized his copes and how he plans on using pins to stack multiple copes. I can see after this first cope and drag. A lot of rethinking would be well advised.
    Other things that have slowed me down are I have been working on the furnace lid lift assembly a bit. I now have a working cam mechanism to lift the lid. I still have to work out a lever system and crank that will first lift the lid then move it to the side when the lever is fully moved, then return it to the closed position before dropping it into place.
    I prepared a compressor room and moved my compressor but still want to put in a small distribution panel and 2 more compressors.
    It seams as though every time I want to work on the foundry project. Life projects get in the way.
    Joe

Attached Files:

4. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Looks good Joe, you are getting there.

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Some people have all the luck.

6. Robert

Robert Silver

That was me Pat!
    Robert

7. Jason

Jason Gold

I always wondered why you sand guys don't have the perfect pattern for making flasks and pass it around to each other? just a thought.;)

8. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Hey Robert, sorry about that.
    I have trouble keeping all the people and their furnace/burner setups straight in my memory-challenged head.
    I need to make a pictorial wall with pictures of furnaces and people's names.

9. Robert

Robert Silver

No worries Pat! I have been kind of laying low on the casting but watching ya'lls fine work here. I did send the patterns to someone, I hope to get it back soon.
    Robert