Chunk Jewel Lamp

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

This project has too many parts to edit it into one slick dumbed down 7 minute version for the average YT watcher.
    Figured I better break it up into sections.:rolleyes: You guys get a back stage pass with this thread. Now show me your boobs!:D

2. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I guess I didn't understand the scale of this lamp till I watched the video :eek: That's a good sized lamp!! Looks great!! hopefully you will nail the glass polishing and casting, this thing is going to be stunning.

3. Very cool! I'm wanting one now.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks guys...

David brought up an interesting point. He noticed with his keen beady little eyes, the wax was building up slow as I was pouring it. Granted I was running the wax super hot and was kinda rushing it as I wanted to get way down that narrow end.... David points out that the red wax works really well for slushing molds and builds layers better. Down side being it sculpts like working with soupy dog poop. The brown is nice and stiff.

Any of you have any thoughts of wisdom to share on this one???

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  5. I'm glad you have the experience to know what soupy dog poop is like.:p

I'll go back to my sand box now and chase the cats away.

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I have the same issue with my molds Jason. I think I even mentioned that in one of my posts months ago (who could forget right?). The wax builds up in the depressions and not on the high areas. This does lead to uneven thicknesses in some areas. I've checked it with a light shining through. I usually just add more wax by hand in the thin spots using the backlighting trick. Seems to work ok but it is a PITA. Would be nice if there was an easier way to do it.

Looking for cat truffles? Hmmm. My dogs are realllly good at that.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

My tree here is ribbed for her pleasure and those areas are naturally thicker, even though I didn't show it in the video, the wax did continue to build up over the smoother areas. I still do the light trick and spooned in a bit of extra wax for cya. The last bits of wax I poured in was pretty damn cold.... not soupy dog poop cold, it still washed in and out fairly well.

Hey Andy, a little bit of canned mush pumpkin mixed in with kibble firms up our little one. Not pumpkin pie filler, but just real pumpkin. No one like the squirts.

8. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

No its more plastic like at room temps, harder than the brown poo you have been working with...

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Interesting development today. This thing showed up today. The photos don't do it justice, it is painfully pretty. This thing was done in the 50's with slag glass either from puntys or left over trash from glass production. No two chunks are alike and they are all hand chipped into shape! :eek::eek: The backs of these are perfectly flat.o_O It's starting to look like a friggen bargain for what I paid for it now.:rolleyes:
    WTF did I get myself into?

20190424_132246.jpg

20190424_132233.jpg

10. DavidF

How about a picture of how the glass is held in place??

11. Jason

Jason Gold

sure. I believe its lead.

1556132756131674952262674326001.jpg

15561328025947787275131882740993.jpg

12. crazybillybob

That looks like lead or a solder of some type holding it in.

13. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Looks like the backs are roughly ground. If so, that wouldn't take too long to grind at a large grit as the glass can come off pretty fast (comparatively). If those were set into a plaster tool, I'd think 15-30 minutes against a glass or steel plate with something around 80 grit would probably flatten them out as well as they look in the pictures.

14. DavidF

Well, that's not what I was expecting to see. But certainly simplified things...

15. Jason

Jason Gold

"Known to the state of cancer to cause California..."

16. Oh no! Anything but California.:eek:

Looks like they used glass chips and poured lead around them. Pretty slick.

17. crazybillybob

That means as long as you stay out of California it doesn't cause cancer right ;)

18. California causes cancer, therefore stay out of California. Even water is known by the State of California to cause cancer.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

It is a slick idea... Then the panels are just leaded to each other.
    I will not be attaching my glass with lead to my bronze. They will be tig welded in place with tabs.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Here we go again.... Gaffer glass, Shellac'd the mold (about 4layers) and the slowest schedule I can tolerate. Total time 19 hours!
    Started it tonight about 8pm... Fingers crossed. Gaffer says wax weight X 4.2 = glass to load the mold. Looks a little heavy to me, so I checked with displacement method. o_O
    All I know is the SOB better not piss glass on my kilns floor!:mad:

20190426_190545.jpg

20190426_190719.jpg

20190426_190724.jpg