Kwiky burner with a twist

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by OMM, May 22, 2019.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

Wow, nice dogs!

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup... if that painters tape has survived, it doesn't get that hot. lol That stuff wont stick to jack squat! Cocoa was a stray that adopted us. He knows his name and comes when called. Funny how a stray will show appreciation and affection. And I AM NOT a cat guy. We've also got a Brussels griffon... Oliver.
    He likes to steal my old airport car.
    20141024_184322.jpg

3. OMM

OMM Silver

444FC17A-57C5-4CB0-B300-405337FB2E27.jpeg I am personally not a cat guy either. I do like my hunting dogs... beagles

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  4. Don't underestimate the cooling value of flowing fuel and air. While the nozzle should be close to the hot face of the refractory, longer pipe can get the valves much farther back from the heat, including any flare up from the flue while you're operating valves.

5. OMM

OMM Silver

Today I tested out my set up. I started out with 0.025” diameter orifice Mig Tip turned to 30° with a 0.085” land diameter at the tip. The plug orifice I drilled to 3/32 (0.094”). I slowly backed the plug orifice off a quarter turn and tested till about three turns under pressure and varied the air pressure from 5 psi to 60 psi. I was hoping to get more misting. There is a little bit of sputtering. I was just using water.

Well, here comes the twist. I’ve played with a few spray nozzles in my past. So, I’m going to switch around the air and the oil with the same set up and then test again. I think I can play with the volume/pressure of air more and have the oil trapped in the air velocity.

I’m pretty sure when I switch to Oil it will be a complete game changer.... but I tapped the 1/4 copper tube that feeds the Mig tip so I can swap it out for 0.030” or 0.035”, and I can keep playing with the angles.

I’m really hoping to end up with a result, with High velocity low pressure with a perfect mist. I don’t even mind pressurizing the oil to 5 psi.

I’m going to keep testing

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah I've seen guys try that one. Air where the fuel goes and fuel where the air goes. Good luck with that. It's usually the most common mistake guys make when trying to run one of these. I suggest just getting it to work correctly as it and then modify later. By then, you'll have your head wrapped around it pretty good. Some guys flat out HATE the kwiky, probably because they cannot make it work correctly. It can take some time to dial it in. I'll admit, mine kicked my ass for 6months, but the lure of FREE FUEL was enough to keep me poking away at it. You should have seen the nightmare I had when making my forge run off household natural gas! That one almost cost me a friggen finger. (garage was loud, not paying attention and grabbed a running fan through it's opening) :( Here is the link to that one. While the idea may sound simple enough, I can assure you it was anything but easy!
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showt...eed-a-FORGE-What-next&highlight=ribbon+burner

Hey if you want HVLP, try a harbor freight 10buck paint sprayer. The little purple one they sell is actually a decent little gun!

7. OMM

OMM Silver

Maybe I’ll try to give it a try with a smaller final orifice. And/or change the angle of Mig Tip to 20° Before I swap....

8. Jason

Jason Gold

there ya go. push some diesel through it to start with. Heck, you dont even need a furnace to test it. knock a hole in the lower side of a metal bucket and light it. When ya add some small blower, you'll see what these brutes are capable of. Burning oil comes later once its in a furnace and up to temp. Even a hair dryer will significantly raise its output.

9. OMM

OMM Silver

I turned the Mig Tip to 20° and drilled a new plug orifice to 0.059”. To get a good mist it needed to be above 25 psi. I settled with 30 psi.

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

That's a real good start. So your pushing 1 gph. Try raising your water bucket 3feet in the air and see what ya get. Inquiring minds want to know. I bet it consumes the water faster.

11. Jason

Jason Gold

12. OMM

OMM Silver

13. OMM

OMM Silver

6E192064-FB9B-45C2-81B2-EB2AF2162851.jpeg Well today but I think I finalized the burner. I’m hoping I’ll be able to pull enough oil/Diesel oil through air quick connects. I am hoping to use the little two-stage variable speed fan shown in the picture. I just need to get a speed controller now.

I did end up throwing my last two needle valves into the mix. I figured I would attempt to use something that I already have on hand. I did have to purchase the two little ball valves

I picked up some 1 7/16 id diameter pipe. I am hoping this will work fine.

What I am initially going to set up for the foundry casing is just a 20 pound propane tank. I believe they are only 12” od.

The refractory that I have been promised, is 3200°F rated and it is out of a crematory. I won’t know until I get it how it will need to be shaped. I have no clue if it is standard refractory sizes or custom. But for free I’ll deal with what I get. I plan to take as much as I can and one haul. Maybe if there is enough I might build a larger foundry hopefully using the same burner. I have found it takes a little time to collect things on the cheap.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

That fan???? uh... no... That's not going to cut it man. If it can't blow your hair like a hair dryer can, it's too wee. Start with a hair dryer and stick an elastic band around the trigger. I'm not a fan of your QD's.. My setup is 3/8" ID at the smallest point and I wish it was bigger.

15. Is the little fan for combustion air?

16. Jason

Jason Gold

yeah... it's cute, but won't be enough.

17. OMM

OMM Silver

4EFFD4AA-2CB6-4B90-ABAD-180918F28129.jpeg EEB69E23-596E-45BF-98C7-D804533A2110.jpeg I do have these two guys.

Jason likes this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

Now you're talking. Start with half that microwave blower. I have one of those and stuck it on a switch. It comes down to how you wire it to get the 3 or 4 speeds. Mine lives on high. If you can build a fancy plenum, you could use both sides of it and get away with it on low or medium probably. I'm guessing you were pulling our pissers with that cpu fan right?

19. OMM

OMM Silver

LOL no I actually want to try it. It is two fan motors in one in one. The first fan has three has three large props and the second fan has five. These are three phase brushless DC moters. They use them on drones.

That big blower has 8 inch fan with a 1.5 hp motor with a 1.5 hp 3 phase motor. I guess I could always throw VFD.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

and I was trying to give you an out.:D That big sucker would work well, but it would definitely need to have it's speed controlled. Have you run it yet? There are usually screamers.:eek:
    We have kind of figured (and fought) around here that a paddle fan is preferrable over squirrel cage fans. I'm not opening that can so don't anyone ever THINK about going down that road!:mad: