Im New let me introduce myself

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Lewis, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Lewis

Lewis Copper

hello everyone, thought id come and introduce myself and start to get to know you all.

my names lewis im a mature aerospace engineering student in the uk and ive been wanting to get going with casting for some time but for a number of reasons not gotten started before

i have very limited experience with casting namely using an oxy aceteline torch to melt some silver and cast a few (poor quality) rings some years ago but nothing more substantial.

ive joined up to ask for some advice on building the furnace itself but ill make a seperate thread for that.

im mostly interested in casting bronzes and iron at some point i would like to be able to cast some iron impellers however i want to start off with simpler stuff first.

ive found it very interesting and educational reading the forums so far and i hope to be able to contribute and be a part of the community here
    anyway i hope thats a fair introduction if you have any questions just let me know

2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Welcome to the forums, sounds like you've got some interesting projects in mind.

Jeff

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Lewis,
    You've come to the right place. There are a good number of successful furnace designs here as well as tried and true burners. Beware of YouTube. There's some great stuff out there, but a lot of bad information too and it can be hard to sort out (although shorts and flip flops are a good indicator). There are a lot of ways to do this on the cheap but don't be afraid to spend a little when it's warranted.
    Happy casting!

Pete

4. Lewis

Lewis Copper

Thankyou for the welcome Pete, Jeff.

Ive tended to avoid youtube on this topic with the exception of luckygen1001 because i see quite a few "furnaces" which seem to me very poor designs and they tend to be much more common than the well thought out ones that ive seen on the forums here

My intention is to build my first furnace with growth in mind and so im going to try to get it right first time, while i want to save money id rather spend a bit more up front and build a good quality furnace that will last me rather than something cheap that ill need to replace relatively fast. i have access to an unlimited (for my purposes) free supply of used cooking oil so that will be my fuel.

thankyou again and i look forward to being part of the community

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Lewis. Sounds like you have a furnace and WVO burner build in your future. I'm sure you'll receive plenty of support and good advice from the forum members.

Best,
    Kelly

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Hello Lewis. Lots of helpful folks here. Many of us have YouTube channels, but you'll find we are not your typical youtubers. While our content may be boring, its accurate!

Got a method in mind yet? Lost foam? Sand casting? Lost wax? Lost PLA? Lots of options these days available to the modern metal caster and all fine in their own respects.

7. Lewis

Lewis Copper

thankyou guys,

im already working through the costing of a few designs i have in mind and ill probably run that through the forum for some advice in the relevant section soon.

at the moment im mostly interested in sand casting and lost foam though with access to a 3d printer i will be looking to move into lost PLA for the more precise parts i want down the line. though im sure at some point i will experiment with all of them.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  8. Metal5000

Metal5000 Copper

Hey Lewis,
    I just joined the forum today too. Where are you in the UK?

Lewis likes this.
  9. Lewis

Lewis Copper

hey Metal5000 im in Oxford presently but i spend half of the year in Liverpool studying

10. Metal5000

Metal5000 Copper

Well if you're ever in the Newcastle area, give me a shout, I'd be happy for you to come to visit my foundry :c)

It's actually in Jarrow, South Tyneside.

Lewis likes this.
  11. Lewis

Lewis Copper

thanks i sure will if i find myself in the area

12. myfordboy

myfordboy Silver

Welcome. My furnace build videos starts here if you are interested. I'm in the UK. Don't mention luckygen to me.
    [

Ironsides likes this.
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

Look what the CAT dragged in.......

14. Lewis

Lewis Copper

im going to assume i shouldnt ask about luckygen and you. however you seem eager to tell me so why not elaborate

15. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Lets not....

16. PatJ

PatJ Silver

We all have our favorite materials and methods.
    Most of us have generally agreed to disagree in a gentlemanly fashion, and that is how it should be.
    Keep it about metal casting, and keep the personality clashes out of it.
    Take it from me, those clashes never lead to anything good, and are very detrimental to a forum.
    David has a good thing going here; don't mess it up now. Avoid clashes like the plague!

So how many iron casters do we count now on this forum?
    I am expecting Tobho Mott to do iron any day now.
    Join it iron club if you are not in it.
    Its great fun, and a good hurdle to overcome.
    As they say in these parts "How bout them iron pours fellas/ladies (lots of women do iron pours; I have video evidence)?"

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  17. YakTriangle

YakTriangle Copper

Welcome Lewis ... I'm also in the UK but in the South (near Portsmouth). I've been a member here for only a short while and the folks here are supremely friendly and helpful. They also have a great sense of humour which is essential in any discipline IMHO! :)

18. Lewis

Lewis Copper

Thankyou Gavin.
    ive already noticed the community is very friendly here, its what encouraged me to sign up and ive only been proven correct so far

Mark's castings and YakTriangle like this.
  19. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Hello from Suffolk. Not much to see here but hoping to get my foundry stuff set up again when we move.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

You guys really are a hoot to hang around with. Long live THF! I love the way this forum works, especially with photos. If I start typing on a laptop, I can pull the same thread or PM up on my phone and the text will be there before hitting the post button. From there I can add photos from my phone easily. It such as dramatic improvement from the outdated vbulletin sites.

To you new guys, if you can manage to pony up a few bucks and become a banner member, it really helps David with the website. Notice we have no ads and all your photos are stored here locally. That saves you tons of time from hotlinking from crappy sites like photofuket. We lost a lot of valuable information with that debacle. I'll save you some reading, but this is why THF exists in the first place. I'll take my salesman hat off now, I get nothing out of this except a cool place to hang out, learn new stuff and this keeps me outta the bars.:oops: My wife approves wholeheartedly! :D

Al Puddle likes this.