Sand pump

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by garyhlucas, Aug 18, 2019.

1. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

My steel cans holding the patterns weigh nearly 100 lbs filled. So now I see why people build tilting mechanisms to dump sand. However I’ve been doing 3 parts in separate cans so I’d need more than one tilter. You also need to shovel sand back in.

So I am thinking a drill powered screw pump for sand. I work with HDPE plastic all the time and I have 5 different welders available for plastics. I can cut a screw from HDPE on the 4th axis of my CNC mill. Put that inside a piece of HDPE pipe with a bearing plate and side outlet at the top. Poke it in the sand and pump it from one container to another. Gotta try this.

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

This was posted by shadow over on AA. I thought you might find it interesting. It might be easier on the auger.

Pete

Fishers Wax Works likes this.
  3. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I worked a lot with augers, feed and manure. The flight attached to the tube was cold off-set rolled from flat strip (one side of the rolling mill compressed the strip and the screw was formed from the flat)

They were very efficient even when worn out!

Great video Pete, never thought of a rotating tube and the physics

4. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

Ordered 40mm diameter bulb planting auger drill with an 18” shaft. I am going use our butt fusion welder at the shop and couple pieces of scrap HDPE pipe and a Tee. I’ll weld a cap on top of the tee with a hole for the shaft. A couple of shaft collars and I should be good to go.