A Mercedes hits a traffic light pole

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by garyhlucas, Aug 18, 2019.

1. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

On my way to get a haircut this morning I see a downed traffic light. Road crew gives me the cast aluminum base, nicely broken into manageable pieces! About 50 lbs I think.

Attached Files:

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Bet the plastic mercedes looks worse than the light pole. I've melted that stuff before, it's good metal. My local metal guy has a skip full of that stuff from our dot.
    Cast to cast! If only he had bronze plaques and stuff.

3. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

that will be 6061 all DOT appoved road indicators and Light poles are 6061 it's in the standard even for the cast pieces

V/r HT1

P.S.
    if you are not in the USA that might not be true

4. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

I checked a bit on this, every link I found specifies 356 cast aluminum for bases. Judging how nice the castings look and then comparing to my own results casting 6061 scrap I'd have to believe they are 356.

5. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

well I'm glad My info Is dated both DOT AND FHWA have switched to 356 for the Cast parts.

sorry for the Mis info

V/r HT1
    . P.S. there maybe some OLD centrifugally cast 6061 ones out there still, but based on how many I see with a car wrapped around them, I doubt it

6. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

I could see that 6061 would centrifugally cast better than gravity casting. It doesn't flow nearly as well.

7. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

centrifically casting is about the only way to get 6061 into a thin spot . well heated die casting I suppose, or vacuum assist... well.. ok ,6061 doesn't Gravity cast well in thin sections everyone agrees on that

V/r HT1