Best places for raw materials?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by FKreider, Sep 8, 2019.

1. FKreider

FKreider Copper

How does everyone go about finding brass, bronze, and copper to melt? I called a local scrap yard telling them I would like to BUY not sell and they told me that was not their business and to get lost.

I don't think aluminum is such a problem since it is so ubiquitous these days however I find the other non-ferrous metals to be very expensive.

2. If it's something other than for practice, then buying ingots from a metal merchant gives you a known quality alloy and not some mystery metal, not to mention what your labour and saw blades are worth cutting up scrap to fit your crucible. That said you may find an engine rebuilder who has lots of pistons or a plumber with scrap for sale if you pay more than the scrap merchant.

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Here's a list you may find helpful.
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?7948-Foundry-equipment-and-consumables-suppliers

Other than aluminum I've only melted pewter and everdur bronze. I got the pewter from a pitcher and goblet set I bought at a flea market for $20, so not much of it. I bought the everdur as scrap from a longtime member at Alloyavenue named Lou. It's good metal. It's been a couple of years but I'm guessing he's still around. I think he has access to other stuff too. I think I have his contact info somewhere.

Pete

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I asked Lou about his silicon bronze bolts too, but to get less than a 54 gallon drum of them shipped to Canada was going to cost a bit too much per bolt. I ended up getting some everdur in ingot form from Sculpture Supply Canada in Toronto instead. I've bought aluminum bronze locally from metal supermarkets before, but I wasn't crazy about their price.

For copper, I know a lot of people collect wire and tubing to melt down. I've got a bunch that I scrounged out of our old microwave oven's transformer when I was inside it removing the timer panel to repurpose and use on my sand muller (still need to hook that up). That copper was pretty easy to remove with a big hammer, so that seemed like a pretty good way to get a fair bit of Cu from one smallish component. I also got to keep a couple copper ingots that were left over after a casting project I did with a local blacksmith, but I'm pretty sure that was originally supplied by his client, so not much help here unfortunately. One day I hope to use some of it to alloy some al-bronze of my own for basically free.

Jeff

5. Jason

Jason Gold

In the US.. Industrial Metal Supply stores carry ingot. Last time I bought ingot from them it was around 6bucks a pound for everdur. Budget casting supply is another option. Not sure about the Northeast.. Ya dont have many Robert E Lee statues up there getting ripped down.. ( I know, I'll let myself out the side door ) :D

Find a local bronze foundry, I bet they'd sell you a few ingots if you brought the guys beer. Cemetery's maybe? But get a receipt! Bronze and copper theft is stupid these days so I prefer new metal myself.

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Lancaster foundry supply in PA sells ingots of brass bronze and aluminum. Maybe other materials too. Best prices I've seen all good clean casting alloy. Its drivable from Massachusetts. Other than that if you melt scrap metal you're gambling on the alloy. One time I was sold copper but it turns out it was cadmium infused copper bearings. Cadmium is toxic to melt and inhale. So lesson learned. Better to shell out for the proper stuff.

Jason likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

And you get paper work for when the cops come knocking!

8. FKreider

FKreider Copper

I will look into this, overall I am looking for specific alloys that I can count on, especially when doing work for other people.

However the main thing is that I just don't have time to go chasing around scrap materials to melt. I am willing to pay for ingots in order to get good castings.

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yes they have very good prices too. I paid 4.10 per lb for silicon bronze

10. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

the only way to buy scrap is to put an add in craigslist . Local artist seeking brass/bronze scrap for art pieces paying $XXX/ Pound ( throw your price about $.40 above listed prices . I put you a Link below ), now go into specifics No Irony Brass, no Pieces Over 6X6X6 inches nuts bolts and screws Preferred, small valves . you will eventually get visited by law enforcement because someone will try to sell you something stolen. follow all the Craigslist safety rules so you dont get mugged

https://www.cmcrecyclingjax.com/current-pricing/

V/r HT1

11. Jason

Jason Gold

include... "Bring ID and expect to be photographed." might keep the copper thieves and cops away. Here in Texas, I can't sell scrap metal without a special state id card. :rolleyes:

12. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

TX scrap law!!! lots of talk about it when I was in the scrap industry. other states have considered it, but in most it is clearly not legal . the scrap yards love it, because scrap yards are the ones that are FUBAR when they Buy stolen property.

but ID and Pictures is good advice and will keep criminals away ... you also want to specify how much you want

V/r HT1

13. Jason

Jason Gold

My family in the jewelry shop has to place stuff they buy off the street on a 90day hold! Cops can roll in at anytime and ask to see the merchandise and paperwork. Not a big deal when it's a few hundred bucks of gold, but when it's an 8k rolex, it's a different animal. No one likes having money just sitting there not working. You can't even put the stuff out on display! :rolleyes: Now you know why shops tend to offer what they do.

14. FKreider

FKreider Copper

Yeah I think I am just going to stick with buying ingots from suppliers or clean scrap off ebay. I don't have time to deal with craigslist crazies, barely have enough time for my hobbies as it is.

Jason likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

I would. My stuff takes FOREVER to get to the point of pouring and the last thing I want to do is risk is a bad pour because I cheaped out on metal. I'll never understand the guys pouring crap out of beer cans. Time will always be the most valuable thing we possess. Use it wisely!;)
    Craigslist scares me. I don't mind shopping it, but selling on there is sketchy. I sold a nice 4yr old refrigerator on there. I had it out in the driveway plugged in nice and cold. Glad I did, 2 of the scummiest characters showed up.:eek: