First try at making and using a match plate

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by Tobho Mott, Sep 11, 2019.

1. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I did not realize how deep those fins where, that is a very difficult pull, Well done!
    I the Navy we used to have to do these deck drain strainers, Pure evil all those tiny Pieces of sand

V/r HT1

[​IMG]

dennis and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Thanks, wow that does look tricky...

I got it to work by flipping the mold over and taking off the drag first, so I could rap on the back of the board a bit better to loosen the fins a bit easier. It meant I didn't have the pins there to guide me lifting the board off the cope anymore, but I just went by feel and lifted it real slow. Seemed to work ok.

Jeff

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Nah, deluxe genuine full grain leather custom finish not available anywhere else. Could be "tactical" as well, of course. :rolleyes:

I do agree it looks fine. Well done.

Denis

Tobho Mott likes this.
  4. Tobho Mott

:D Thanks. "Tactical krinkle finish," I like it. Best of both worlds.

Jeff

5. Come to think of it, I can get that finish every time by thinning enamel paint with acrylic or general purpose thinners before spraying the paint. You can even "guide" the grain by sanding the dry paint and spraying a second coat: looks like crocodile skin. Incompatible paints/thinners can get effects like crinkle finish, I think that's a combo with nitrocellulose thinner.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Those castings look great.
    Nice runner/gating/riser system.

7. Tobho Mott

Thanks Pat, yup, still sampling the bifilm theory kool-aid and it seems to have worked out well enough this time. o_O

I used the sand I bought from Smelko Foundry Products several years ago for facing sand here. It had sat unused for at least a year, and in that time I forgot how nice and sticky that stuff was, as well as being finer than my homebrew sand (it was made with AFS GFN 115-130 silica whereas mine has 75 mesh sand that I got from the pottery supply). I love the finish I sometimes get using that stuff!

I think maybe I will experiment a bit with small additions of calcium bentonite, maybe that will help close the gap between the green strengths of my homebrew vs the Smelko sand. I only have 4% total clay in my own sand, 2% each of sodium and calcium bentonite. So I think there's room for adding more binder without immediately losing permeability.

Sadly there's not much I can do to make the sand grains that are already in it get smaller. I guess I have until I run out of Smelko sand to use for facing, to figure that part out... :D

I did get a bit of shrink on the 2 brackets farthest from the sprue. It appeared on the inside vertical surface of one fin on each of them, close to the base of the fin where the fillets and the T shaped section are just a little thicker than the rest of the pattern. I did overheat the melt a little bit this time, so maybe simply not doing that again next time would fix it. Failing that I will add (a) riser(s) on top of the second set of gates to help feed those 2 brackets that were affected.

Jeff

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

Crackle anything was a big thing back in the 60's. The Italians covered everything with it back then. It's a great way to hide substandard quality.:p

Tobho Mott likes this.
  9. Tobho Mott

Here's the accompanying video:

It's a really long one, so here are the timestamp links to the most interesting parts (IMO) for those of you with more sense than spare time.

02:25 to 06:40 - Using a push block that has one end sanded square and one end with draft on it to set the sander table angle and put draft on the tall thin fins. And some pitfalls to avoid while doing so.

13:16 to 14:00 - The glossy spray sealer disaster that is giving me ideas for texturing different patterns... if I can figure out how to do it again on purpose.

23:00 to 23:20 - Demolding FAIL. Laugh it up.

24:05 to 25:45 - Using parting dust to take a print of the drag on the cope to verify the pattern bits on opposite sides of the match plate board are properly aligned. I don't remember ever reading about or seeing this technique before, but I am pretty sure I didn't invent it.

26:45 to 28:15 - Successful (enough) demolding. Please post tips for an easier way that does not involve demolding the tricky side with no alignment pins in place! Also, how are you guys getting/keeping stubborn sand grains out of your flask alignment hardware? I get a lot of crunchy stuff happening when I'm separating the cope and drag, which doesn't make the process go any smoother.

29:00 to 30:00 - Running 5psi propane and a hairdryer in the Red Dwarf, melting wheelium. Takes about 15 minutes from cold start to pouring temperature with this furnace and crucible. Special guest camera operator for this segment: Tobho Jr.

31:40 to 32:27 - The last of the ingots finishes melting, and the mold being poured. Tobho Jr. having long since fled to the relative safety of his online war simulations and future carpal tunnel issues.

33:20 to 36:50 – shakeout and examination of the castings.

I tried to use the Dr. John Campbell & Bob Puhakka bifilm theory based gating and pouring basin approach here, which has been much discussed on this forum. Or at least the best home gamer’s approximation of it that I could pull off, as I understand it.

Jeff

PatJ and Melterskelter like this.
  10. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Castings turned out pretty good, as did the runner, gating, and surge trap.
    There seems to be a fine line between filling too slow and filling too fast with the associated turbulence.
    The last part I cast had the much smaller gating and runner than I normally use, and it filled slowly compared to previous pours.

I remember Bob saying fill the mold as fast as possible, but that really means fill the mold as fast as possible without generating a lot of turbulence.

Filling the mold too slow seems to start creating cold spots where the metal starts to solidify, and then gets flowed over by other hotter metal.

Great video.
    The closeup view through the lid opening was great.
    That is hard to do and maintain focus.

Edit:
    I like that burner/furnace setup.
    Mine turned out almost exactly like that, although I did not intentionally copy it.

11. Tobho Mott

Thanks Pat, I was happy with this result and I LOVE my small new furnace!

For clarity's sake, that's Bob P., not that other foundry wizard Bob S. (I was mildly confused for about 5 minutes, but probably everyone else realized that right away.)

Agreed, I remember him explaining (in one of the SWDweeb YT videos he appeared in) how to base the sprue's skinny end size aka runner cross section on the fastest flow rate you can pour at while still being able to control it well.

I never did actually pour out a full crucible and time how long it took to dump out that volume of metal to do the calcs from scratch, but the base of my standard sprue pin that I use these days is very near 1/4" in diameter, and that has proven to be a comfortable size for me for keeping the pouring basin full with a cope that's about the height seen here.

I'm thinking about using 2X4's instead of 1X3's for rebuilding the flask, hoping this buys me enough extra height to put the pouring basin near the edge the of the mold with this pattern, for lower altitude pouring, without the bottom of the basin cutting into the top of the closer set of fins and ruining the mold. Guess I'll find out then if the same sprue pattern will still work as well using a little bit taller cope. Hope so; smooth tapered sprue patterns the right size are hard to find among the random junk I tend to come across. (Or create!) This one used to be a plastic toy magic wand. Now get your mind out of the gutter Jason, I'm talking about the kind of plastic wand toy that comes in a kid's Halloween magician costume kit!

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  12. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Yep, Bob Puhakka.
    That guy was hilarious.
    I miss his videos a lot (the ones he deleted).
    He was the best anti-PC person I have ever seen.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

YouTube cut his nuts off. I asked him the other day to move to bitchute. fingers crossed. I would have liked to see them.

14. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Those look great Jeff.
    Did I hear you say your next matchplate will be for flasks? You've already mastered the alignment part. :)

(Add more radius where the sand pulled.)

15. Tobho Mott

Thanks, no I didn't say that, but every so often I do think about casting some flask parts like some of the ones I've seen others make... Seems to happen more, the more flasks I burn up. :D

Edit - I'd maybe try to integrate alignment brackets into the patterns somehow, if I ever did try it.

Jeff

Jason and FishbonzWV like this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

I would think proper flasks would be the 2nd thing I'd sand cast right after a rammer.;)
    Tools of the trade. I would think these days a guy could make a fortune making these and selling them on fleabay.:D

John Homer, HT1 and Tobho Mott like this.
  17. John Homer

John Homer Silver

18. rocco

rocco Silver

You're not alone, those forums are not currently available, they were down for a few months earlier this year, came back up for a short while then last week went down again.