Chunk Jewel Lamp

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Wait, did I misunderstand Peedee's post then?

Jeff

2. Jason

Jason Gold

ahhh.. My first punty and glass rod I pulled solo...
    20191019_123535.jpg

3. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I understand Jason has no intention of blowing anything.

I'm quite enjoying the glass thing, as a kid I went to a glass place in Cornwall and got a glass 'apple' with my pocket money. Having been to Murano and came back with water glasses (read very large wine glasses) that were hand blown it is on my bucket list of things to try.

I'm impressed with the drawn rods.

4. Mach

Mach Silver

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Drum roll...... I was a little off center, but this is in the kiln at 482c. The process WORKS! Sure the result is crap, but it's all about the method!
    I am learning my (ahem) gloryhole is a little tight on my forge. :oops: When you are twirling a fat blob of glass fighting gravity, it's a pain not to hit
    the walls or entrance of my forge. One cool thing is you can cut this stuff with a pair of plain old scissors. Didn't see that one coming.

I'm going to let this anneal for the next 4hrs or so at 482c while I come up with a schedule for coming back down to room temp. All that FARTING
    around casting glass has taught me a few things.;) Thanks for the offer mach, but I can't think of anything atm. I was in Houston last week, but was
    dead dog tired to leave the airport. I'll get back down there soon enough. Wish I could take a class, I'd show up with all the classic bad habits I'm sure.:D

Screenshot_20191019-153250_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191019-153304_Gallery.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

I should slap together a big glory hole kaowool/satinite rig that will accept my ribbon burner. Hmmmm....
    Who's got a link for satinite?

OMM likes this.
  7. I'm in awe of the terminology in that link Jason provided: "So a person will marver a punty on a marvering table".

That latest sample looks nicely glossy Jason, looks like it's just a matter of a few refinements and you'll be pumping identical glossy hot lumps out of the glory hole.

Jason likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

lol.. Yup Mark, I'm getting close now. Let's see what this looks like in about 6hrs from now. I'm running a pretty liberal annealing schedule on this one. As long as it doesnt explode it will serve its purpose. I used the same green sheet glass from the porch light on this. Cut into strips, I got them warm and stuck them on the punty one at a time. My marvering table was my swedish anvil.:oops:

9. Tobho Mott

Jason likes this.
  10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Is it me or does that look like Cecil the caterpillar? .. just me then!

That's pretty cool looking, how is it with a light behind it, up it's rear so to speak?

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah I've got a ton of flashing on this piece. I can always slice that off. It's still too hot to tell what it looks like. The color returns as it cools.
    Should be emerald green and not that olive puke green in the photo. It reminds me of the color of the engine block in my old Austin years ago.

Thanks Jeff. 5lbs enough to coat something about 8" diameter and 8" deep? Kinda like that thing from the link above?

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Here we go! While far from perfect, I'm calling this a win! I will have to select a different green because this shade darkens up something fierce at thicker sizes. Not a problem.
    This was 104COE Effetre sheet glass. I'd like to give gaffer glass a try. Even though it's for casting, their green is pretty weak and I've seen it at an inch thick and the color is still good
    and provides good transparency. (post 187) This piece here in the photo is actually clear inside, so that's a plus!

20191019_201145.jpg

20191019_205704.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  13. Tobho Mott

5 pounds should be enough to do that, hopefully with a little bit left over for patching.

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  14. Zapins

Zapins Gold

You could also push something into the back of it while its in the mold and make an indent to thin the glass out. That way it wouldn't be so dark.

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

Good idea Zap, but I need the thickness. It still has to poke its head through a layer of bronze and I'd like it sticking up pretty good.

16. OMM

OMM Silver

I’m with Zap on this one. A sphere shape on the backside will amplify the light by thinning the glass and reflecting it. You can take the moulded concaved sphere and hit it with a little heat to smooth out imperfections afterwords.

Jason likes this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

OHHH... I see the idea. Imprint from the tamper side. Arent you a couple of smart fellers.. or is that fart smellers?

Half of a big steel marble welded on the tamper could accomplish that job. I like it!

OMM likes this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

After a month working 12-14hr days, it feels good to be home.

This can only go in one way. Yes that's a blob of bronze doing the dirty work below. I'll press some bs clay and check it for thickness... About 4 times today I really was wishing for a bridgeport. A couple of glass companies told me they would pay dearly for pressing molds. hmmm.o_O

15747231576053464806353503096391.jpg 15747231970745280016688730121557.jpg

OMM and Kurtis Kiesel like this.
  19. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Haha yeah there you go Jason. I was a bit confused why you initially didn't think it would work but am glad you saw what we meant. Haha. I bet its going to look fantastic.

Oh and also... nice welding bud! Show off...

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Interesting thing happened trying to press tonight, the glass stuck HARD to the top part. It really grabbed onto that bronze ball. I didn't preheat it because it was super windy and my torch kept blowing out. All comes down to that ol COE stuff. The glass was cooling rapidly and the bronze was sucking massive heat out of the glass. Tomorrow is another day. I'm pooped out.

OMM likes this.