When all you have is a backyard foundry...

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Tobho Mott, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Joes suggested parachute method works surprisingly well. I've used it several times on pretty long runs of conduit with compressed air but I wondered how effective it would be in his application given the diameter and run length. It probably would have worked.
    Anyway for those not plagued by it, roof and gutter ice make for some hard-fought battles. Prevention is the key because sometimes the cure for ice can be quite painful. It starts with good insulation and proper ventilation which can be difficult in older homes. A warm roof is the enemy. As the snow piled on the roof, sometimes measured in feet, slowly melts whether by roof temp from below or sun from above, or both, there is a slow steady and relentless flow of water. Once it gets to the unheated portion of the roof like the eaves it refreezes and creates a dam. Oh it pains me to even talk about it! It only gets worse from there.
    I've never seen anything work better than a wire in places where insulation and ventilation just aren't enough. Any chemical like salt pucks and the like tossed on the roof that actually work worth a damn will attack the shingle.
    Ethylene glycol would very likely sicken or kill my dogs.
    Anyone who wins a battle against ice on the roof, even a small one, gets a gold star as far as I'm concerned.

Pete

2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I've got ice dam issues too. The kind that drops a couple ton solid slab of foot-and-a-half-thick ice onto my back porch once a year. So far nobody has been crushed. I remember having to chop it all up and shovel it all away to make room for the muller build a couple years ago when my wife had enough of it living in the dining room... This new heating wire for the drain came with better roof clips than my old wore that I actually would use for ice dams, so I got that wire put up properly at last too last night.

Joe, we are on a 1/2 acre lot, approximately. No plans for a "new" foundry, but I have lots of plans for the one I've already got! :D

I want to move the muller and molding bench into the back shed, the one that is not pictured (though you may have seen the front side of it if you have watched any of my casting videos). It's the shed I've been rolling the big furnace out of and setting my molds down next to leading up to now, whenever I melt and cast.

That way, I can get some space back in my other shed for storing the overflow that is starting to take over the kitchen. And the muller won't have to live outside under a BBQ cover year round. And I won't have to carry my molds so far, or up and down any rickety half-crushed-by-falling-ice porch stairs at all. It may even get me to stop using the molding bench top as a work bench! (Very handy... until you need to open it.)

Plus maybe I'll be able to keep on casting in winter. I would LOVE to melt and pour under that same roof. I actually tried that (very carefully) the other day, as a test.

Since I don't have proper ventilation set up in there, I stood just outside looking in while the furnace was running, other than dashing in with breath held, checking the melt for a second a few times. And of course when I actually poured the bronze balls.

It went really well. The rafters directly above the furnace didn't even get very warm. The noise that could be heard from outside the shed was significantly quieter than normal.

Maybe you all think I'm crazy for even thinking about this. The whole idea got into my head when I ran the small furnace inside my friend Josh's blacksmith shop on diesel, to melt copper, a few months back. He has chimneys on all his coal forges, but it was the ventilation fan up near the roofline that was able to blow out all the heated exhaust gases and keep the fresh cool air coming in through the open door to replace it.

My shed is maybe half the size of Josh's smithy, so last night I picked up an even bigger used ventilation fan I found on Kijiji, for just $20. :)
    After seeing a smaller one that I thought would be sufficient for $60 at Princess Auto.

Plenty of tidying up and organizing to do before installing that fan.

Need to find places to stash a bunch of the junk that's cluttering things up in there now, and get rid of a bunch of it.

There's a half wall in the middle of the building because the former owners were wanting to use it as a stable and had set it up before learning the lot isn't zoned for such livestock. Chickens and turkeys are fine, but no horses, who knew? The guy across the street has a couple, but apparently his property was grandfathered in at some point to allow that. I don't want horses anyhow.

Anyhow, I plan to tear out and reuse the great big 2X10 and 12's from that half wall to build workbench tops, etc., perhaps in both sheds. There is a ton of that stuff in there that does not seem to be structural or load-bearing in any way that I have my eyes on... I noticed at Josh's that some of the interior walls were covered with square concrete patio stones. He had them held upright with some large diameter washers and lag bolts screwed into the framing of the wall between the stones, I could maybe do something like that and have some sort of insulation behind them, to really quiet things down more, and to make it more comfortable in there in the colder months.

As with all my foundry upgrades and other hobbies to date, I'm going to be working on all this evenings and weekends, a little here and a little there, as time and family permit.

Jeff

joe yard likes this.
  3. That's such a foreign concept for me, having ice problems on your roof. The only problems I have to contend with are leaks and drainage from having a corrugated iron roof with less than 4 degrees slope in a tropical environment. Tobho: short of some sort of major roof redesign to a steeply sloped roof, I think you'll have ice issues. I wonder if you could generate safe, non flammable steam with your furnace waste heat to direct to the ice: some sort of drip onto a hot metal surface to flash into low pressure. It's tempting to pipe the furnace exhaust at the ice but probably too risky.

4. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Jeff
    I am with you 100% on wanting everything inside under one roof. The term foundry was misunderstood. I did mean a building / foundry.
    I am slowly working in that direction myself. I am also cleaning and sorting a shed that will eventually become my new foundry. In my case it will be an all new foundry, furnace and all.
    The shed is 10'X13' now. I have a 10' fiberglass dish antenna that bolts together from 4 pieces. I plan on putting ½ the dish on each ends of the roof to make a 10'X23' oval. Then finishing the outside in used corrugated tin.
    Joe

Tobho Mott likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

It's a shame Barry pulled the plug on his blog. He had the best write up I've seen for cobbling a foundry together out of a couple of shipping containers. It's a Quonset hut style setup with corrugated tin roofing and works brilliantly. The shipping containers act as wax room, shell dipping room and the other is storage and part shop. Heavy work like welding, pouring, cutting is done in the middle. He has big sliding doors on the front and back. If you guys watch any of his videos, you'll see the setup. It's slick.

Look at this deal... Seems pretty cheap to me. Shipping is even free!
    https://www.garage-organization.com...MIlqeyjbSn5QIVUfDACh1UkAtaEAYYBSABEgJJkPD_BwE

I saw a 30x40x15 quonset hut kit and I think I saw 7k. That's a lot of shop space for not a lot of dough.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  6. joe yard

joe yard Silver

His outside the box thinking with the 2 shipping containers and the hut span roof between the two is a great design. It is all metal and built like a tank on the cheep.
    It was what gave me the idea to extend my shed with a 10' dish antenna. I am still shooting for a 4th of July compilation date. Just not the original 2017 date.
    Joe

Tobho Mott likes this.