Flying skull hood ornament

Discussion in 'Investment casting Ceramic shell method' started by DavidF, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

I'll make him one in bronze too!

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Not happening....get to carving...:p

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Whats with everyone and skulls. It always seems to be the first thing new casters make without fail. To the point of being cliche.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

I see that too.... but it's not really my thing either.

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Kind of gets under my skin a bit. Kind of how like when people call it silicone bronze or forge, smelting etc haha

But they are cast very nicely David and I know that it's for a customer so I won't judge you! :)

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

It's understandable though. An ancient and enduring symbol of badassitude (and casting is badass), unlike the tribal tattoo of the aging dudebro.

7. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Now I feel like casting another t rex skull....;)

Gippeto likes this.
  8. My older brother worked as a tourist bus driver and shared a flat with an Irish biologist who'd worked in Africa. One boring afternoon my brother made a clay australopithecine skull over a paper mache form using a National Geographic cover for reference and cooked it in the apartment's communal BBQ to burn out the paper mache. He was sitting at the kitchen table brushing off the charcoal stains from the clay skull when the biologist got home, saw the skull and lunged across the table to grab at it. My brother told him a tourist picked it up at one of the stops along the way. The biologist wasn't too happy after a closer look at the skull.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Gippeto, Jason and Tobho Mott like this.
  9. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

LMAO...Maybe you can take some level of comfort in that it won't be the "first" thing I make. ;) Would do something more interesting, but I have zero talent and can't carve for shit...so I'll leave that to more talented folks and do the "lost foam skull/cliche" thing.

Maybe I can glue some wings onto it... :)

Al

Jason likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

I didnt do skulls... too creepy. I cant carve for shit either so I took a mold of some wood appliques. Fake it till you make it!

1st thing I cast was a jewelry box for my wife!:D Momma didnt raise no dummy.
    20170320_194758.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Gippeto likes this.
  11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Haha yeah.

12. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

Hmmm......should be able to pull that off. :)

Al