New big boy toy

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Kurtis Kiesel, May 12, 2020.

1. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

IMG_20200508_103655.jpg
    So I picked this up. A friend contacted me about it, so grandpa down the road died 6 years back and his kids fought over it while it rotted In lean-two. So I bout it almost sight unseen for a 1/3 its value, been replacing it's hoses, but the 6 year old diesel in it still runs after cleaning out the air filter and a new battery.

Now what kind of earthen forge can I create with 16 acres of clay and basically unlimited digging power. Send me your dream project list that involves a backhoe and lots of land, and I might just add it to my weekend project list!

FishbonzWV, OMM, Jason and 3 others like this.
  2. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

Nice. I tried to buy one a few years ago. It didn't run and the guy wanted way too much for it.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

You can make a nice tidy CASH money career on the side with that thing! Once people find out you've got it, they will be begging you to work for them. Time to get a real truck and trailer to drag it around. Just remember, DIAL 811 for line services. You take out one fiber optic cable and your cash cow is gone!

Kurtis Kiesel likes this.
  4. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Sweet! That's a good size backhoe. Did you get two buckets for the rear?
    That looks like an old McCormick farm tractor in the background. Is that yours too?
    I had a '53 Ford, loved that tractor. The sound of the brushhog whirling could lull you to sleep after a few hours running, even when bouncing over the ground.
    Ford.jpg

Now we have an old Kubota B2910. I'm replacing lines too, every time one pops!
    I find the Kubota's stance is too narrow to feel safe so I just got a set of three inch spacers for the rear wheels.
    I hope it rides more like that low slung red belly after that.

Kurtis Kiesel likes this.
  5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I agree with Jason in that 811 are the most important numbers you can know with a digger like that. A good tractor mechanics phone number are the second most important. They usually only give you mechanical trouble when you need them. Having a place where you can get hoses made at a reasonable price on a Saturday is helpful too. At any rate you'll have plenty of adventures ahead, especially with the backhoe. One thing to remember: the the bigger the machine you have, the bigger machine you'll need to pull you out! Lol.
    I'm happy with my little Kubota B2200. It's a great grasscutter and it's good in my little chunk of woods, but yes it can feel tippy. It has a seatbelt, and I use it.

Pete

6. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

That is a Farmall M. It's not mine, it's my neighbors, he also has an H. I have an early serial Ford 8n and a Massy Ferguson TO-30. I will probably get rid of the Massey now. I would love to get my hands on a Fordson Dexta, dad had one when I was a teen. I got it and made the error of selling it during hard times. I have lakes to dig and already have three neighbors who have projects lined up it will be a fun summer when the project backlog clears.

7. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

yeah it weighs tons, maybe 12-15k lbs. I have to get a new farm truck anyways. It will take a good 5th wheel to haul it. Digging one lake over a summer week would pay for the truck and trailer.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Ka-CHING$$$$ That's what I'm talking about. Tell them your name is CASH; MISTER CASH that is!

9. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

I can see the Craigslist add already.

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

PERFECT! Now drive it to texas and dig me a hole in my backyard! lol

11. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

Do you have Cash?

Mister ED likes this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

13. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

Lol, someone already emailed me asking them to dig a pond. Maybe I should add "ps. this is a joke"

14. dtsh

dtsh Silver

WTF is wrong with you? Give them a number to choke on first, then decide.... :p

Mr I'm-Not-Sure-I-Really-Want-CASH-Money!

Tobho Mott likes this.
  15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Whenever I quoted stupid high for a job I really didn't want I got the damn job!

16. Jason

Jason Gold

OMG.. You actually hit the PUBLISH button? That's priceless!

17. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Would you consider a trade (to be determined by me later)? I've got some used screwdrivers, a cracked hatchet and a 91 Bronco. Red. Alls I need is a ditch dug. Or do you prefer cash?