CNC Router Up & Running

Discussion in 'CNC machining projects' started by Al2O3, May 25, 2020.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I managed to spend some time with my machine this holiday weekend and after resolving some apparent EMI induced problems that had me chasing my tail for a while, I'm up and running. It's a MillRight MegaV, work space is 35" x 35" x 4".

Assembled Table.JPG

I taped a piece of foam to the bed and did take a video but I figured I wouldn't bore you guys with three minutes of watching the machine chase the letter paths in three successive steps/depth so here is the result.

1st Cut MR Plaque.jpg

I haven't ventured into the plasma cutting side of things yet. I also have a 4th axis and haven't done anything with it yet other than homing and jogging. I have quite a bit of software to consider, select, and eventually learn. Hope that comes a little easier or I'll have to become reincarnated to realize my project goals at my rate of learning thus far LOL!

Best,
    Kelly

Barrybooth, Tobho Mott and _Jason like this.
  2. _Jason

_Jason Silver

You can start making (sliced) patterns galore with that thing.

...And anything else you'd care to design and wait for it to cut out as well.

3. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

Nice rig Kelly! :)

First project is a dust shoe I suppose?

Al

Petee716 likes this.
  4. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Looks like a nice machine, smooth and accurate. Congrats!:)
    One of the newer Machines right?
    Patrick

5. Al2O3

Thanks guys. I'm pretty stoked about it but also a bit overwhelmed with all the software and machine control hardware/firmware learning at hand and ahead of me.

My primary use for the machine is cutting lost foam patterns and plasma cutting sheet steel. Frankly, you don't need a high end CNC router for either of those two as far as speed and stiffness because neither of those two require it. My attitude was once I had 3-axis motion control (I actually have a small 4th too), I could just hang anything on the gantry I wanted and go to town. Not exactly the case because each tool has it's own unique control requirements. Still, 35x35x4 workspace covers 90%+ of my need without requiring a huge amount of shop space, though I may eventually add some additional height under gantry and Z axis travel.

I also want to add a couple 3D printers to the arsenal eventually.

The last time I was really a CAD practitioner was the late 80s and early 90s and it's a completely different world today. I have some relatively complex castings/parts in the plans and will need to become a proficient solid modeler. I'll also need a good post processor. I know enough G-Code now to be dangerous. Then there are the specialty CAM softwares for machining, carving, artwork, plasma, laser engraving, etc.

I have UGS and the controller uses GRBL to translate to motion control. Have a break out board and am having to learn some Arduino as the drivers are UNO. It's a lot, but I'll eventually get there.

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

That's a nice setup Kelly. The wiring and controls can be a bit confounding and although its reasonably straightforward the devil is in the details. It looks like you've got it all sorted though.

Pete

7. Peedee

Peedee Silver

What are you using for your CAD modelling Kelly?

8. Al2O3

Thanks Al, dust shoe was back ordered. I'll probably end up making my own though because they don't do well in deep contours. I'm actually considered just a dust chute across the back with a fan blowing from the front of the machine. We'll see. I'll be happy to have the problem cuz that will mean I'm making lot's of chips!

Best,
    Kelly

9. Al2O3

I started down the road with Fusion 360 and took in the first 18 tutorials but is was 6 months ago and already forgot most of it but their CAM package will post process everything I want to do, however, so would Mach III/IV. Not really committed to that but leaning that way. David is encouraging me go Alibre. Looked at CamBam and may make sense to have a license of that for simple work but cant see myself programming any of the 3D contoured surface parts directly in that. I'm sure I'll take on some specialty software for carving, artwork etc. All things in time. It's a lot to digest.

Thanks Pete and you sure got that right!

Best,
    Kelly

10. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Well about CAD! I personally use freecad. Freecad is a great design software, with its own CAM workbench. I have used freecad since 2014, and do you know that I started using it on a raspberry pi. Another thing about freecad is its free. Now I have not messed with the cam workbench a lot so I can not say its great, but for simplicity freecad is great. Dust shoe! I have seen a few cool dust shoe designs. Like this!

I hope this was helpful.
    Patrick

11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I don't want to disrupt the thread with a CAD discussion but was interested as I'm a Solidwork guy and I understand they have add-on for CAM stuff I've never been involved with. I really should look up Freecad, also V carve which I played with a while back. It may be a while before I get to putting anything into actual practice again.

Keep the updates coming :)

12. Al2O3

Thanks for the comments so far. CAD/CAM discussion is OK with me......that's where I'm at, and I'm really a novice so only know what I know. There's +/- to various CNC routers but in the end it's all stepper motor driven (mostly 3-axis) motion control. Getting them to properly to do their dance.....well that's another matter.

Fusion 360 CAD/CAM is actually also free for hobbyist and educators. There are some limitations on the free package features compared to the purchased packages but not a problem for me. I haven't down loaded the free trial of Alibre yet, just a few YouTube vids/tutorials. The Vectric (VCarve) packages are very popular with the woodworking crowd for signs/plaques and deep reliefs.

If I just wanted to cut 2D or 2.5D profles in foam something like CADBam would be much easier as a combined design and post processing software.

For me the dilemma is the specialty programs are easier to learn and use but less versatile in what they do. But, for the projects I have on the docket I will need to become a proficient solid modeler......just no way around it.....so where to invest limited time?

The front end of programming for plasma cutting is simple 2D and for me very simple geometry. It also doesn't take much in the way of motion control specs and performance. However, you do need a plasma specific CAM package for torch height control, voltage control, and interface with the plasma power supply, torch and machine drivers.....and there is a lot more to that than you may think to produce quality cuts. That's a lot to do for someone that just wants to occasionally cut some steel profiles......but that's me!

Most folks would start with the specialty programs and progress to full blown CAD/CAM, but I may go the other route (or hybrid) because I can already make relatively complex foam patterns and I want to increase my capabilities. But very high probability I'll add other specialty software because it will be quicker for simple tasks.

When done, very likely I may have 6-8 software programs in play. Probably 1-2 more when the 3D printer is added.

Best,
    Kelly

13. dtsh

dtsh Silver

At work the guys use Fusion 360, seems to work OK, but I'm with Patrick-C; I use FreeCAD and it does everything I need and runs on all my hardware. No need to deal with built-in systems designed to cripple in case your licensing expires, or they've pushed a new version you don't want, or they decided not to offer it anymore.

14. Mach

Mach Silver

I'm with you on the challenges of 3D modeling/CAM tool chains. I still use 123D Design and Meshmixer for 3d printing. When I get my CNC router setup, I'll learn Aspire and use Mach3 for control. Previous failed attempts don't bode well for me though. While the 123D Design is limited, I always fall back when other tools becomes too frustrating. I did pick up a copy Zbrush at David's(I think) suggestion but the learning curve is pretty steep as well. Not Blender level but still steep.

On your 3d printer toolchain, Meshmixer is pretty powerful and free for tweaking STLs. I use Simplify3D for slicing - v3 is solid, v4 had some bugs. Sounds like the company may be losing their way though and are not innovating as fast as alternatives like Cura.

I use a new tool for laser cutting called LightBurn. They're not there yet but plan to support plasma cutting in the future. I'm looking forward to it as the local Hackerspace uses LinuxCNC which is functional but painful to use.

15. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

Software is yet another rabbit hole...or so I've found. There are online/web based platforms such as Easel and TinkerCad, but I prefer offline programs.

Currently using Fusion 360 and Carbide Create for "mill" work/engraving, and LaserGRBL or Lightburn for the laser.

Notepad as an .nc file editor.

Al

16. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

For 3D CAD I've been using DesignSpark Mechanical, it's a free version based on the Space Claim software. I've tried Fusion 360 and I can use it well enough to be dangerous, but it just doesn't feel right to me. To be honest I haven't been able to dedicate the time to become proficient in Fusion which may have a lot to do with the problem. I really should find the time, since Fusion 360 is more powerful than DesignSpark is.

I did find an interesting article a week or two ago that compared some of the popular 3D CAD packages, among them were Space Claim and Fusion 360. Fusion 360 is a parametric modeling based software while Space Claim is a direct modeling based software. They noted that depending on the mindset of the user, either direct modeling or parametric modeling will feel more natural to the user. I guess I'm more of a direct modeling type of guy, YMMV.

For slicing 3D prints I started out using Slic3r, then went to the Prusa version of Slic3r. I found that Slic3r handled the support for overhangs better than Cura. However I wasn't happy with the way Slic3r handled thin walls, less than 1.5mm-2mm, it sometimes left a gap in the perimeter walls. I also didn't like the way that Slic3r handled supports, made them a royal PITA to remove. Consequently I bit the bullet and bought Symplify3D and have been quite happy with it. Recently a friend of mine got his own 3D printer and was asking for some help with the latest version of the Prusa Slicer. I downloaded it, and it looks like Slic3r now does everything that I bought Symplify3D to do. I wish the latest version of Slic3r had been available a couple of years ago, then I probably wouldn't have bought Symplify3D.

Don

17. Al2O3

To me, this is the issue for all of it, that being, let alone the first time learning as to how you connect all the dots between software, firmware, and hardware, it's hard to become proficient and stay that way for only casual use. Whether it's 3D modeling, post processing, the nuances of software and hardware for each mode of output.....routing, plasma, laser, 3D printing, etc.

Best,
    Kelly

18. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

And this is why I suggest Alibre, the rov I modeled in my avatar I did in the first week of learning. You can basically think of what you want to make, then look at the icons at the top of the screen and do it. It's hard enough figuring out how to model a particular part, why complicate things further with a difficult to learn cad program??
    SEA2001.JPG

19. Al2O3

Was that with Atom? Pro? or Expert?

Best,
    Kelly

20. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Back then it was geo magic design. I've upgraded over the years to the expert package.
    When I'm modeling patterns I do alot of my work in assembly mode. It's a nice feature.
    A few years back you could buy the full program for $200.00 under the name cubify design, but it could only output in stl format. That was a hell of a deal for those wanting a great program for their 3d printers...