Sil-bronze Sink!

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, May 21, 2020.

1. Good taste in beer! Doppelbocks are my all time favorite.

In Europe (the few times I’ve been), Guinness stout is #1 for me. Don’t know why but the Guinness stout made in US isn’t the same. Actually, live near a Guinness brewery. They serve stout ice cold! Bitter crap. Sacrilege!!

Jason likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

Guinness is my favorite beer, but you are right, it's a bit off here in the states. If you can get it on tap, it's close, next would be the can poured in a glass. NEVER BOTTLED GUINNESS, tastes like shit and is flat. Some one gave me some IPA recently, it's free, but so damn hoppy it's jumpin off the counter! Not a fan.
    Just like Heineken, I won't touch the US version it gives me a splitting headache. I did develop a taste for Bitburger. Bitte ein Bit! Stubies only of course!;)

3. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Guinness only seems to taste right if you are drinking it in Dublin!

We are truly blessed with the beers and ales over here. Adnams is my local brewery

4. OMM

OMM Silver

Guinness in a can, when poured properly has some really good results. I would give it 90% of a good tap pour. The problem is the widget doesn't do its job perfectly, but it does a pretty good job when poured into a glass.

In my college days, an old barkeep kept telling me not to drop it more than Half an inch and let it slip into the side of glass and it should take over a minute to pour a pint. The old barkeep would also put a little shamrock on the top of the head. The other thing is, the head should never exceed a quarter of an inch. The glass wear for Guinness was always kept in the refrigerator (at pouring temperature). Who would've thought?

Damn college days. Now I keep 2 pints glasses in the fridge, 2 12 ounce thick glass and six rocks glasses in my freezer door.

I have an icemaker. But almost every other day I make sure I have fresh ice.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  5. Guinness drinkers are the temporary custodians of the waters of the river Liffey.:D

OMM likes this.
  6. OMM

OMM Silver

what river is bud or anheuser Busch getting their water from? Ouch.

These days I like to support our microbreweries. We call them craft breweries. the big one is Moosehead that I like. Then there is steam whistle, and the Muskoka brewery's. I do like supporting the independent.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  7. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Adnams - Broadside, Fullers - London Pride, Old Bob or on a cold day Old Roger. Geene King - Abbot from the cask is a favorite.

8. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Ever notice that Moosehead in its green bottles actually somehow tastes green too? o_O
    My friend's Dad ended up with a garage full of 12 packs from some sort of promotional deal he was somehow involved with back when we were in high school... Fortunately for us, he's more of a scotch guy. ;)

Jeff

Mark's castings likes this.
  9. Peedee

Peedee Silver

My dad brewed a pretty good ale, at least me and my schoolmates thought so! He also didn't make a stil out of a hot water cylinder as that would have been highly illegal and dangerous ;)

Sorry Jason, we've jacked your thread a bit, as you were!

10. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Ah, connesuers. The day I took my last drink I would have drank piss out of a boot if I thought it would make me dizzy. And it was a long way out.

11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

You have my upmost respect Pete (I sincerely hope that doesn't sound condescending, not meant to) I have had my bad times.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Couldnt tell you the last time I drank to get pished. In my line of work, the phone rings anytime it wants to and I need to be able to recover. Now sitting on a tropical island for a week with nothing to do, its game on! On the island of Exuma, they make a drink called the "Dirty Shirly" and 2 of these and you wont remember the rest of the night!
    20190617_194022.jpg

13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I think I met Dirty Shirly at the back of a chip shop in Glasgow, or was that Sandra, or maybe Tracey......

Rotarysmp and Jason like this.
  14. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I am in the process of redoing a bathroom myself and the wife would like a new sink. Looks interesting/ different.

15. The techs at the phone exchange where I was an apprentice, used to go next door to the pub at lunch and have a couple of Captain Weirdo's: one part Captain Morgan Rum, one part Blue Curacao. Two of those got you drunk fast. These days I gave up drinking completely unless you count the alcohol free beers: I need all the brain cells I can spare. I have noticed a positive effect on health and being less easily frustrated too as a result, sort of running on a more even keel so to speak.

16. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Some things fit in our lives, some things don't. To each his own.

Pete

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks John. Different isn't always good, but the idea is to seek out the stuff you can't afford and follow their lead. What I lack in funds, I usually make up in hard work and dedication. One thing is for sure, no one in my hood has anything like this. ;)

18. rocco

rocco Silver

I'm not sure why but the instant I read that, these lyrics from the Offspring song, Pretty Fly for a White Guy, popped into my head,
    :p

Rotarysmp and Jason like this.
  19. Jason

Jason Gold

Been a lot of years since I heard that tune.:oops:

20. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

You could take a little side trip to Ragged Island and visit this bar.
    There's a spiral staircase inside to access the fuselage.
    A leftover from the 70's smugglers' route.
    P.S. Get me a T-shirt, they were out of them when I was there.

IMG_2213.JPG

Jason likes this.