Anyone need a Southbend???

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Jason, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

I came across this old girl today AT MY SCRAPYARD!!! They ways are in really nice shape and everything moves easily. 110vt motor works too. 4 1/2 foot bed. Guy was asking 2500. Comes with its table. Located in West texas. If only I had the space!

20200708_153423.jpg 20200708_153428.jpg 20200708_153447.jpg 20200708_153450.jpg 20200708_153519.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Thats only around $800.00. In my area.

joe yard likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

You are probably right Dave, location is everything. If the shit ever really hits the fan, I bet these things hit 10grand in a blink of an eye. In excellent condition, they are already close to 5k.
    The gunsmithing guys love 'em!

4. _Jason

_Jason Silver

Its a damned shame to see that at a scrapyard! I'd buy it but I have place to put it.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Told you guys my scrap yard is the cats ass! You can go where ever you want, pick your own treasures, pile them at the door and it's always the same price! 20bucks, so make your pile count! Old southbend lathes not included!
    20200707_134550.jpg

20200707_134556.jpg

6. OMM

OMM Silver

My dad has one that is fully tripped out with all the accessories and hardly ever used. It will be going up for sale in the next week or two. $2500 is a fair asking price Canadian. I might be over there tomorrow and I'll take some pictures and post them here.

Jason, the model you have pictures for, might be a little older. It looks like a bench style.

7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I have a 36" SB9 A of probably similar vintage. Mines late 1940s. I've done alot on it. It came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, fresh paint and wicks. He had to pry a grand out of my pocket.

Pete

8. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I bought the same model a few years ago for $325 at auction in Tennessee and sold it before we moved back to Ohio for $900. Great lathe, wish I could have kept it.

9. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

I picked up a 1946 SB9 Model C for $150 about a decade ago. Bought it sight unseen, the guy told me it was an old Craftsman lathe. I figured for a small Craftsman that was reasonable.
    He showed up to my shop and went to unload it, and was huge and heavy, took 3 people, and left. Looking over it I saw the South Bend tags. Had a massive 4 1/2 foot bed on it.
    Unfortunately it came to me without any accessories, no change gears or tooling. And the model C does not have any power feeds, no QCGB, no power crossfeed - just the half nut. I looked into adding the bells & whistles but the only parts available were from extremely clapped out machines, and the 4 1/2 foot leadscrew is exceedingly rare.
    The ways were in *perfect* shape, flaking on the vees the whole length of the bed even under the chuck.
    Never took the time to set it up.

I gave it to the guy who gave me a clapped out Bridgeport.
    Bridgeport still needs a ton of work too. Who knew life could get this busy, hah.

10. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

See that step about 1/8" from the top of the front vee way, in your second photo... That bed is seriously worn. Not a show stopper as you can still make nice parts on a worn out lathe, or it would be an excellent basis for a scraping project.

11. Hmmm, I don't see it. He did say the scrape marks were visible throughout.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Some one else said that Andy about another SB lathe. This one needs TLC for the anal types. For those of us that just need a part round, this one will do it fine. The ways are better than half the lathes I've seen on youtube. Scraping marks are over rated, I've got no time for that nonsense. Now you wanna see wear, you should see the ways on my FREE bridgeport. I love it just the same and better than no mill at all! I could have just as easily plunked down a few grand for some new chinese import that would have had half the power, half the table, half the capacity... I'm glad I didn't. I still haven't bothered to rip it apart yet for paint and new parts I've collected. I don't want to be without! Funny how that works!:D If I'm still doing this stuff when I retire and I desire a better machine, I'll pay up then, for now, fk it!

Rotarysmp likes this.
  13. OMM

OMM Silver

And here it is. 10” swing and 24” between centres.
    A420C795-9A46-413A-AB74-8686140A3C55.jpeg

0644E653-4476-47F7-A86B-326B94080F10.jpeg

22DA7D7A-F42B-4A5A-9F86-5A1980ACE6F2.jpeg

5FBEC7E7-B766-4C1D-A08A-8F326D710BA8.jpeg

14. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

And a Camlock nose. Tasty. I'll never buy another lathe without a Camlock, or at least DIN KK nose (famous last words :).

15. Jason

Jason Gold

That's a good looking lathe. And I was just thinking a Camloc was a pain... My supermax has one. I guess I should learn what makes it the cats ass???

16. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

My Boly 4l has a threaded nose. It is super fast to switch chucks or remove them for collets, but you only need it to unscrew once on deceleration to be over threaded spindle noses.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020