Buy a house?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Tape, mud, sand, texture, paint...... Most people can't match texture let alone paint.

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Some people would complain about flaws in a free bar of gold.....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    dtsh likes this.
  3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm. Well something to think about then to upgrade later. I can add gfi breakers/plugs for added security in the mean time.

How's this for price gouging. Last year when I moved up from TN to NJ the uhaul cost me 550 to rent plus gas/movers. Now when I'm moving down the price for a uhaul is 1800 plus whatever for gas and movers. Bastards.

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

OHBOY!! you must have bought a lot of stuff since your last move... :D

5. dtsh

dtsh Silver

So you say you've decided to buy a trailer, eh?

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Haha yeah I was thinking about buying a trailer for less than 800. But my friend will be driving it down in his jeep and trailer. He said he lost his job and has nothing else to do so if I pay gas money he will drive it down for me. We will be loading it up today with the engine hoist.

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Just bought some straps/dolleys/come along and new hydraulic cylinder for my engine hoist.

I think the original was a 3 ton cylinder, horrible freight was out of 3 ton cylinders, so I got an 8 ton one at the same price. Hopefully the 8 ton won't wreck the metal frame when lifting the lathe... The frame seems beefier than the HF 3 ton engine hoists so I have hope.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Florida to texas with uhaul for me was around $1800. Plus another 1200 in fuel The big truck of theirs gets really shitty gas mileage. And I was pulling a trailer with the jag on it.
    When I made the move, gas was over 3bucks a gallon. Be glad it's cheap right now.
    This was our entourage coming from Florida. Yeah. when I stopped for gas I cried a little! Had a buddy outta work that offered to drive the nissan pulling my sailboat.. My wife drove her taurus with the pet rabbit and I took the truck.

IMAGE_075.jpg

Bentation Funkiloglio likes this.
  9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Just finished loading up the lathe and wet saw onto a trailer. Man that was a ton of work. Took us 5-6 hrs. Mainly because the cherry picker/engine hoist wasn't assembled and needed replacement steel wheels and proper bolts instead of the cheap crap they loaded it with.

I'm surprised the hoist came with RUBBER wheels. Which obviously crushed to pancakes under the lathe. Like what were they thinking?!?!

Testing out the hoist... with my safety shoes on.
    20200812_220811.jpg

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Did you ALREADY close??

11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Closing monday when I arrive with my stuff. Looks like no delays at this point. Somehow. Miracle or foreshadowing?

I'm shocked at the gas price you paid.

The trip is about 800 miles. So at 10 mpg there 80 gals of diesel or about $200 in gas prices. At least that's what I'm telling myself on paper...

My bank account is scarily low after these closing fees and other costs.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup... I moved when gas prices were at an all time high at the end of 2007. :(
    Welcome to home ownership! Most of the time, you walk away from closing with a small check. I did. Just the way stuff gets calculate sometimes.
    The expenses are just beginning. Some days I wonder why the hell I own.:rolleyes: My wife calls this house a labor of love. Projects take twice as long to complete and cost 3times what you'd expect. At the end of the day, it's mine and the banks. There is something deeply satisfying about owning over renting. Congrats!

Sorry you had closing fees. My seller paid all of it. (part of the deal)

13. I’m not great with identifying cars, but looks like a 1960’s era E-type. Love Jags from then. 1970’s onward, design took a nose dive. By mid 70’s, bleeech!

Did you keep original engine, trans, etc.?

14. Jason

Jason Gold

You said it. Numbers matching 1969 E-type. Not the most valuable year, but it is a stick shift and thank god it's a 6cyl.

15. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Funny thing Jason I also moved in 2007.... Cost me almost as much for the same big Uhaul....And I moved from central Michigan to Eastern Ohio. But we had that Uhaul riding low :D without a trailer behind it.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

lol.. I did recently learn a trick with uhaul. If you think you might need extra miles or time, After they quote you a price at the local office, when you go to PAY for it, ask if they can tack on either extra time or miles for you. After you turn it in is not the time to ask for a little love. Learned that one the hard way. Contacted original rental office and the chick re wrote the contract with an additional 200miles. She had offered it at rental time and of course things can change. TAKE IT. It almost cost me an extra 300bucks to move my "free" bridgeport.:rolleyes:

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I got them to add extra miles before I even took it out the parking lot - for free. Muahaha

Jason likes this.
  18. Per your two wire discussion, most new appliances are only two prong anyway. You can rewire through the basement like you said for a few outlets.

My house is two wire.

19. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'll likely move the location of the washer and drier to the other side of the house anyway and they can wire in grounds to the plugs at the same time. Makes no sense to have the washer/drier hooked up in the master bathroom... That's a real head scratcher.

I spent the last couple hours loading up the garage stuff with my friend. Man super pooped already after 3 hrs and only about 30% is packed in the truck.

I'm wondering if the 2 movers I hired on the other side are going to be able to unpack the entire 26 ft truck with all my garage tooling AND my apartment furniture from NJ in only 4 hours.

Then again maybe with the help of my friend who is driving the lathe down, me, my mother and the 2 hired guys we can get it done in 4 hours? Here's to hoping.

At least the lathe/wet saw is nicely secured and tarped incase of rain. That took almost a full day to load them up due to being so awkward and having to repair the stupid second hand engine hoist I bought. I mean honestly who puts rubber wheels on a 3 ton rated engine hoist?!

20. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

That depends on how it was packed.
    My rule of thumb for moving is to generously estimate the packing time and then multiply by 2.5. Unloading always goes much faster, especially if things are boxed and organized well. Being all ground-level at the new place is a real bonus.
    Consider what that hoist was designed to do. Lift, yes. Transport, mmmm....notsomuch. In a smooth environment the stock steel wheels will work. Add some cracks or other defects and the user is on their own to do what they need to to make it work. You may find that lift to be very useful its new home and you can change out the casters to meet your own needs if necessary. You're a young man now but you won't always be, so take care of your back!

Pete